The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:07 pm 

I doubt many will read this, but what the heck? I'll give it a shot. Sounds like I missed a lot of controversy with A Serbian Film this year. Chicago didn't have any premieres this year, nothing but classics and less than classics. I made the poor decision to go to a NOFX concert the night before and was the most tired I've ever been for any marathon in my 22 years of going to these-I probably head-snapped through almost every film. I thought it was all-ages and would be over around 11, but instead I got home at 1:30am and probably should have stopped a beer or two earlier and been in the pit a little less. C'est la vie.

Waxworks This was a silent film and I opted to sleep a little. I know it's the first film and I shouldn't but I really couldn't get into it. It was more of an Arabian Tale kind of thing than horror.

Burn Witch Burn This was a nice surreal surprise. A rational professor refuses to believe that witches are conspiring against him despite the warnings of his wife. Really good.

Hour of the Wolf This Ingmar Bergman film was more art house than horror, but it had some surreal images and one scene of shocking violence. I liked it, but I'll never watch it again.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes A Vincent Price classic! I forgot how much the Saw franchise ripped off of this film. Great mix of humor and horror and a gorgeous print.

The Wizard of Gore I've never been a fan of H G Lewis films (except maybe 2000 Maniacs) so I opted to get dinner during this one. I came back for the last half hour and HG Lewis Q & A. He was a great guest and did a song and dance for the crowd. Made me regret missing the first hour.

Halloween This was the beginning of the 4 most important films in the lineup for me. Awesome to see it on the big screen. The print was a little faded, but otherwise in good condition. Unfortunately because I've seen it about 100 times (including twice on the theater), I did have a couple of head snaps.

Polterqeist I stayed awake for the entirety of this one, as I've never seen it on the big screen. This print was similar to the Halloween print.

Pumpkinhead A really underrated film. Lance Henrickson is fantastic and it's one of my favorite modern movie monsters. Too bad the sequels are terrible. A couple head snaps towards the end.

City of the Living Dead aka Gates of Hell This was the absolute highlight for me. I love the strange surreal world of Lucio Fulci. Of his 4 big films, this was the only one I hadn't seen on the big screen. His movies aren't for everyone, and I understand that, but if you give into their nightmare/lucid dream logic I think this, Zombie, House by the Cemetery, and The Beyond are fantastic films. Hopefully next year Chicago will get The Beyond.

At this point my group left for the night. I thought about leaving but decided to stick it out, even if I slept the entire time. It's like my Christmas, New Years, birthday and Arbor Day all rolled into one so why skip it.

Vampire Lovers I stayed awake for the first 30 minutes but had to give up and sleep. Beautiful print, and some gorgeous actresses, but not enough blood and nudity to sustain me at 4:40am.

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things I wanted to give this a chance, I really did. But I just hated it. It's so boring and pretentious with no action until last 20 minutes. I hated all the characters and just wanted it to end. I tried to sleep but my whole body was sore, so I was wide awake for the last 20 minutes which was the only part worth watching.

The Sentinel This is such a bizarre little film and I can't believe a major studio made it. A beautiful print and I think I only nodded off for about 10 minutes. I had rented it about 3 months ago, so I didn't feel like I missed anything.

From Dusk 'Til Dawn ended the show. It's a fun enough movie, but really dated. Made during that mid-90's period when every film tried to outdo each other in sheer number of CGI and almost none of the films do it well. It was a definite crowd pleaser.

And the whole thing ended at 11:20am. Which is something that actually pisses me off and makes me miss the Columbus marathons all the more. I'd say that throughout the entire marathon there were less than 10 trailers played. Intermissions were as little as 2 minutes sometimes with no trailers beforehand, so I missed the beginning of a number of titles. The trailers are one of my favorite aspects of Bruce and Joe's marathons. Sure they can overdo it, especially when you fall so far behind schedule that a film has to be dropped. But where else can you see such treasures on the big screen? One advantage that the Music Box has, is the reel to reel projectors so we almost never have any projection issues. Once during From Dusk 'Til Dawn the projectionist missed the reel change by about 5 seconds but that was it. Hopefully Chicago and Columbus can coordinate their marathons on different weekends so I can attend both. Missed you guys![/b]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:47 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes A Vincent Price classic! I forgot how much the Saw franchise ripped off of this film. Great mix of humor and horror and a gorgeous print.

Not to mention SEVEN, I hated SEVEN for the longest time because of the blatant rip-off

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:50 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things I wanted to give this a chance, I really did. But I just hated it. It's so boring and pretentious with no action until last 20 minutes. I hated all the characters and just wanted it to end. I tried to sleep but my whole body was sore, so I was wide awake for the last 20 minutes which was the only part worth watching.

Wow I really like this movie, would love to see it on the big screen.