The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:57 pm 

Anchor Bay Entertainment and Trancas International have officially announced and detailed the 35th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray release of director John Carpenter's Halloween, starring Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Pleasance, P.J. Soles, Kyle Richards, Nancy Loomis, Charles Cyphers and Brian Andrews. The horror classic celebrates its 35th anniversary and arrives on Blu-ray on September 24th.

Synopsis: Halloween stars Curtis in her debut role and tells the now iconic story of Michael Myers, who, as a child, butchered his sister with a kitchen knife. Committed to a mental institution and watched over by Dr. Loomis (Pleasance), the madman engineers his escape 15 years later, returning to his hometown of Haddonfield, Illinois on Halloween night to terrorize anyone who gets in his way, including babysitter Laurie Strode (Curtis).

In 1978, Compass International Pictures released an indie horror film by an up and coming director and a largely unknown cast. Presented by the late Moustapha Akkad, the film cost $325,000 and ended up not only becoming one of the most successful independent motion pictures of its time, but single handedly created the genre of the modern horror film along with the first iconic (via a painted-over William Shatner mask) cinematic slasher. Its global success spawned seven sequels, a reboot directed by Rob Zombie, and a sequel-to-the-reboot, as well as created generations of grateful fans.

For the 35th Anniversary Edition release, Anchor Bay and Trancas went back to the vaults to present the film as never before, creating an all-new HD transfer personally supervised by the film's original cinematographer, Academy Award-nominee Dean Cundey (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Apollo 13, the Back to the Future trilogy), a new 7.1 audio mix (as well as the original mono audio), a brand-new feature length audio commentary by writer/director John Carpenter and star Jamie Lee Curtis, an all-new bonus feature with Ms. Curtis, and select legacy bonus features from previous ABE releases. The new release is being made available in collectible limited-edition DigiBook packaging (only for the first printing), with 20 pages of archival photos, an essay by Halloween historian Stef Hutchinson and specially commissioned cover art by Jay Shaw.

"Anchor Bay Entertainment has been home to Halloween for almost 20 years," noted Malek Akkad, President of Trancas International Films and son of Moustapha Akkad. "I'm so happy that we're partnering with them to present the definitive edition of what is widely acknowledged as one of the seminal horror films of the 20th century."

Halloween: 35th Anniversary Edition features 1080p video, Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and Original Mono audio tracks, and the following extras:

All-new commentary track with writer/director John Carpenter and star Jamie Lee Curtis
"The Night She Came Home" new featurette with Jamie Lee Curtis (HD)
On Location
Trailers
TV & Radio Spots
Additional Scenes from TV Version

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:20 pm 

How many times can we buy the same movie? I'm going to hold off I think until I hear from someone trustworthy that it's worth the upgrade.