The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: R.I.P. JFK
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

From the summer of '63 to the summer of '64 I had a Plain Dealer route - about 40 daily customers spread out over a couple of miles. The weekday papers arrived at about 5:30 AM and were supposed to be all delivered by 6:30. Challenging on a busy two-lane road with no sidewalks. Sunday papers pushed the customer base to about 100. In those days the carrier had to go door to door to collect payment, and most customers only paid a week at a time. I quickly learned that it was nearly impossible to catch more than half of them at home on Saturday, so Friday night became the necessary time to begin that weekly ritual. November 22nd was a night I'll never forget. Almost everyone was watching TV. Coming to the door at some houses I could tell that they didn't want to be disturbed and so I moved on, but most shared their grief with the kid who would bringing that news in black and white the next morning. I'd heard the news when our young English teacher was late for class and arrived with her face wet with tears. I saw a lot of those faces that night.

I spent this summer cleaning out my parents' house. From their attic, here's a perspective on JFK from inside the aerospace industry:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. JFK
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:51 am 

Wow, what a somber and interesting thing to find while cleaning out the attic. I wasn't around when JFK was assassinated, but unfortunately it was far from the last time families have had to huddle together and console each other in the wake of some terrible event. Thanks for the story.

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. JFK
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

It should be noted that while JFK "threw our hats over the wall" and LBJ carried on with that quest for another five years, the plaque on the surface of the moon mentions only Nixon, who had been in office just six months when Apollo 11 touched down. Class act.

In 1986 when the Martian Liberation Organization forcibly seized control of the 11th Annual Boston Science Fiction Marathon over the less than flattering portrayal of the Red Planet by Hollywood, among their demands was that Nixon's name be removed from the moon. This may sound like silly, idle threats from a Marathoid fringe group, but they also demanded that after a decade long absence, red M&Ms be returned to our candy counters. The Mars Candy Company took them seriously enough that within a few months, production of little red friends that melt in our mouths, not in outer space, had resumed. But unfortunately, to the best of our knowledge, Nixon's name remained on the moon and the Orson Welles Cinema was destroyed by fire.

This just in, from the sensor implanted at the base of my skull: The MLO are our friends. Do exactly as they say, and no one will be hurt. Free Mars!