The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rowdy Roddy Piper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:22 am 

Died two days ago at the age of 61.
He wasn't a one shot actor. According to Wikipedia, he had "Dozens' of tv and film credits. However if you know him for anything other than his "Wrestling" career and THEY LIVE! you know more about him than I do.
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I’m all out of bubble gum."

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Post subject: Re: Rowdy Roddy Piper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:07 pm 

I worked with Roddy on HELL COMES TO FROGTOWN. Very nice guy, despite his wrestling persona. RIP, Roddy. You're still a champ with me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:50 pm 

Not sure if there's anyone else in Akron on these boards, but the Nightlight Cinema downtown is doing an 11:30 showing of THEY LIVE tonight: http://www.nightlightcinema.com/film/they-live/

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it but if any of you are going I suggest you buy tickets ahead of time; it's a tiny theater and they have a tendency to sell out. I've actually never seen the movie so even if I don't go tonight I plan on watching it soon. RIP Roddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:13 pm 

RIP Roddy!

I remember having my sister take me to the theater to see "They Live", leaving Thanksgiving dinner early back in 1988. This was way before the black friday craze caught on in our area & they all thought I was nuts leaving to go see a movie. It had been out for a few weeks, but our theater just got it & was only showing it for 1 week & that happened to be the only day I could go. I am a huge John Carpenter fan & was glad to see it on the big screen. I then later purchased it twice on VHS (wore out the first one), bought the "rare/oop" DVD off of eBay for $50, only to find out 2 years later Universal re-released it on DVD. So, I sold the $50 copy for $65 on eBay & then bought the new special edition for $10.00 @ Wal Mart. Of course, I then had to have the Scream Factory's beautiful Blu Ray copy. If you couldn't already tell, "They Live" is one of my all time favorite films. 8)