The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: John Hurt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:57 pm 

The fact that nobody has posted re John Hurt's death is expressive of the fact that posting boards are not the media of choice for many people.
It is perhaps also true that you have to be somewhat of either a Whovian or a lover of non-science fiction arts to appreciate Sir John Hurt. Inside the genre he played Winston Smith in 1984. He played Kane, the first victim in Alien (also in Spaceballs). Was in V for Vendetta (2006), Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008), the Harry Potter film series (2001–11), & the Hellboy films (2004 and 2008). I can't list the number of voices he did in numerous animated features. And most recently he was The War Doctor in the 50th anniversary Doctor Who.
He received an Academy Award nomination for playing John Merrick in The Elephant Man. He did the voice of the Horned King in the Black Cauldron.,& tycoon S.R. Hadden in Contact.
All those roles and dozens of others accompany one of the more distinguished stage acting careers in memory.
What is instructive is the greatest actors show their skills in SF and Fantasy, not just traditional drama. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hurt & https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/movies/john-hurt-dead.html?_r=0
My oddball history includes living in London for two years at the start of High School. There I saw him play Richie Rich in A Man For All Seasons, a role that he repeated in the movie. Do I remember him? Not a bit. I was sitting in the nosebleed fifth balcony student cheap seats, a long time ago.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly