The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 Countdown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:41 am 

Haha, you didn't really piss me off, I do actually really enjoy that movie. There's a well-worn VHS somewhere (I believe it ended up in a Goodwill) to prove it. But I mean...Jeff Goldblum uploading a virus into the alien mothership? Via an Earth laptop? Come on... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:06 pm 

Yes. Hence my complete agreement with your "Stupid" description. Not as stupid as the idea that there was some reason to load the last remnant of humanity on a train - - -, but pretty far out there.
Of course every kaiju & overgrown monster flick violates basic laws of physics, which is also pretty stupid. But what would we do without Godzilla or Them? or - -
Anyway. Indie Day's huge enjoyment factors outweighed (for me) the stupid factor.

And in keeping with my comment that stupids like blatant violation of the laws of physics do not destroy a film - - -

Greatest Science Fiction movies: No.17

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm 

Greatest Science Fiction movies: No.16

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:25 pm 

Greatest Science Fiction movies: No.15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:59 pm 

And furthering my promise to piss off some of you. Presenting - - -
The Greatest Science Fiction movies: No.14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:47 pm 

pogo wrote:
And furthering my promise to piss off some of you. Presenting - - -
The Greatest Science Fiction movies: No.14

Not me, I love that movie!

J wrote:
She about to start some shit, Zed. She's about eight years old, those books are WAY too advanced for her. If you ask me, I'd say she's up to something. And to be honest, I'd appreciate it if you eased up off my back about it.

...Or do I owe her an apology?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:56 am 

The Greatest Science Fiction movies: No.13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:44 am 

The Greatest Science Fiction movies: No.12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:04 pm 

The Greatest Science Fiction movies: No.11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:17 pm 

An interesting article that came out a couple months ago, around the five year anniversary of Avatar, that summed up something I had thought about as well: the fact that Avatar was such a gigantic movie in terms of exposure, box office, hype, etc., but only five years later, there's almost no lasting effect in the culture at large.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/

No one talks about or references the movie or its plot, characters, or world all that much. There isn't a huge annual contingent of Na'vi Halloween costumes or cosplay, there are no Avatar conventions, no one seems to be clamoring for news about the purported sequel(s). At least, that's the impression the authors of this and several similar articles have, and it fits my experience as well. I did enjoy it when it came out as a visual spectacle, but I haven't thought about it since.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:38 pm 

Every now and then I look ahead to what's coming later in the countdown.
When I hit the string of Serenity, Abyss, Watchman, Silent Running at 31-28, I thought about switching one of them for Avatar. I didn't because as stinky suggested A had a number "gigantic" impacts at it's time. Also, the visuals took production values to a higher level.
One impact that he did not emphasize was that non-genre lovers flocked to it. Only thing comparable was Guardians and that got the superhero overlap. Easy to forget non-geeks count too.
Ended up leaving Avatar at 11 for the sum of those reasons - even though liked 31-28 better for a variety of different reasons.
Stinks got it right. A was not unique for plot, acting, long term influence, criteria most often used for greatness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 pm 

The Greatest Science Fiction movies: No.10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:58 am 

The Greatest Science Fiction movies: No. 9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:17 pm 

The Greatest Science Fiction movies: No. 8
After posting, it occurred to me that this poster is perhaps the biggest spoiler that I can recall, bar none.
Of course there are very few persons interested in the movie who haven't already seen it. Still - -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:07 pm 

The Greatest Science Fiction movies: No. 7
Thought about including #3. But - - -nah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next