The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:21 pm 

Damn, Pogo, when you write
pogo wrote:
As usual, the board has pretty well closed down until the next event, still, thought that I'd add my bit.
- YOU AIN'T KIDDING!

A few measly wrap-up posts and that's it??

Heaven's knows the Boston board ain't what it used to be either, but, this is pretty sad. With all the work that Joe, Bruce, Zeke et al put in, you'd think there would be more interest here.

Of course, Messageboards in general have gotten the shaft in favor of Facebook, Twitter etc. - for the 15 minutes that anyone pays attention to a FB post or a Tweet, at least.

Maybe, it's time for one of Joe Neff's "State Of" posts - "The State of the Messageboard".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:27 am 

Yeah, it is kind of sad.

I check in at least once a day if not more often, but have to confess that I probably could do more to actually post instead of just to lurk.

Heh. Maybe we need to do contests/give-aways that are *only* available on the message board.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:39 am 

We could start the Horror countdown thread...only 208 days until October 17!

But yeah, I know what you mean. Although I prefer people posting on social media rather than nothing at all, even if the posts tend to be shorter and more impersonal. The family/community atmosphere during the marathons is great, and anything that keeps it going in the "offseason" is fine by me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:42 am 
Site Admin

L.A. Connection wrote:

Hey, who you callin' measly? :)

I'm a little surprised Joe hasn't posted anything lately, but he's been going Mad Men crazy of late.

http://deadstaebler.blogspot.com/2015/03/mad-men-ep-1-smoke-gets-in-your-eyes.html

... in case anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:11 pm 

At the marathon Bruce asked how many people even know about the Website and Forum and like 8 people raised their hands (pathetic)

Lets face it Websites and Forums are considered Old School, 99% of the online population gets their news from Social Media sites, Face Book and Twitter mainly. I don't know how much this site/forum costs to keep running but the reality is they could spent that money elsewhere and be better off for it.

I'm not pushing for this site to be killed but most site owners realized years ago that forums are nothing more than a breeding grounds for trolls. It's much easier to patrol posts on twitter and FB because you can block anyone that's being a dick and that's that.

The Marathons need to do an all out Social Media Blitz for the Horror Marathon if they want to sell out.....

FaceBook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Tumblr
    Snapchat

And I really think a KickStarter Page would be sweet, they could offer package deals and make lots more $$

-Ticket $40.00 (100 Available)
-T-Shirt $30.00 (100 Available)
-Hoodie $65.00 (100 Available, Hoodie is a Kickstarter Exclusive and will not be sold at the event)
-Ticket and T-shirt $65.00 (100 Available)
-Ticket and Hoodie $80.00 (50 Available)
-Ticket, T-Shirt and Hoodie $100.00 (50 Available)
-Get your Name in the Program - $10.00 (100 Available)
-Early Admission - $10.00 (Get in at 10am before doors open at 10:45) (Only 20 Available)
-Backstage Pass - Name in the Program, Early Admission, Ticket, T-shirt, Hoodie and Unlimited Soda and Popcorn - $200.00 (10 Available)
-Pick a Movie for the Marathon - $500.00 (only 1 Available, everything in the Backstage Pass plus you get to meet with Joe and Bruce prior to the event and select a movie to be shown at the marathon (subject to approval and availability) movie will be shown in the first 12 hours of the marathon with an introduction my Yourself!!)

Or something to this effect....

It's time to propel the Marathon into the present, enough being stuck in the past, I'm sorry but the Days of the Drexel North are over, the days all 35MM prints are over, the days of relying on this website to sell tickets are over.

Anyway just my 2 cents on the topic.

Last edited by Ghost on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:13 pm 

Another good way to save time and money is to stop shipping tickets that are bought via Paypal. Make them all will call. BAM!! I am full of good ideas. Put me in charge of the marathon marketing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:18 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:

Damn, Pogo, when you write
pogo wrote:
As usual, the board has pretty well closed down until the next event, still, thought that I'd add my bit.
- YOU AIN'T KIDDING!

I had been working on a review of the marathon complete with thanks, and I was JUUUUST about to post it, but then somehow, it got wiped out because I accidentally and unknowingly copied something else, which wiped out the review I had copied. I became so bummed out about it that I gave up. I promise I will work on it again. I would have done it sooner but I figured no one would read it because it might be too late. Promise me you'll all read it. I DO care. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:30 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
Promise me you'll all read it. I DO care. :)

It shall be read. This is known.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:31 am 

Gee, I shame everyone here and they start posting again! No posts for almost a week...and then a relative explosion!

:D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D

And, GHOST makes some very very fine criticisms and suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:05 pm 

I had already cooked up a tasty review, but it spoiled, but you encouraged me to get back in the kitchen and give it another round. Enjoying the puns? 8)