The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:38 am 
Site Admin

I know we don't have a lot of people who utilize the boards, but just in case I figured I'd put a placeholder here if anyone wants to comment about this year's marathon experience.

I loved it - but then, I figured I would. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:17 pm 

As someone who's missed the Columbus marathons for the last few years, I really look forward to reading some reviews. Especially about the premieres and guest! Maybe this website needs to be cleaned up and polished. Get rid of some of the ancient posts. The World Watch Wire post is from 2006!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:54 pm 

There is usually one really good film every year that I never saw that the marathon introduces me to and this year it was Snowpiercer. I really enjoyed it (Ed Harris for the win) and it came at a great time in the lineup when the morning has come and the sane people have gone home and that last bit of energy kicks in when I realize there are only a few movies left before the marathon is over again.

I also really enjoyed Godzilla, Close Encounters, and the ultra-low budget Queen of Blood (thanks to the awesome production backstory around the movie from Job Bob about Russian sci-fi, the cast, and the spray painted wooden sets). I liked all the others pretty well except Doomsday, which felt less like an homage and more of a random mash-up of the many movies it "pays tribute" to. Back in the old days that movie would have been fun to rip on, but we're a pretty tame crowd anymore.

I was also little disappointed this year to see very few younger marathoners which is a shame because I would love for the marathon to grow. How great would it be for the marathon to start selling out every year? I don't have kids, but I'm still going to do my part! Next year (paying attention and not getting caught by surprise by an early sell-out this time) I'll be bringing my teenage nephew along to introduce him to the experience.

Shout out to Kenny who hooked me up with an extra ticket at literally 9PM Friday night. You are the man!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:45 am 

We have a very quiet crowd anymore. That's kind of a shame because the raucous energy helped keep people engaged and awake. That said, there wasn't a huge amount to riff on this year. Almost everything was solid "I kinda want to see that" material.