The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doomsday
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:23 am 

I just got back from seeing Escape From the Mad Alien Warriors of the Dead and I must admit I had a blast. It is a universally poorly acted, wholly unoriginal, relentless rolling ball of stupid. But it does have enough money shots for at least three films.

If you are a fan of non-stop brutal action violence, and if you are of the opinion that there are just not enough beheadings in movies these days, then this is the film for you. I would recommend for maximum enjoyment, make sure you bring a couple buddies and have a couple of beers beforehand.

(Just imagine seeing a blurb like that in a newspaper!)

My one complaint is that Neil Marshall needs to learn how to properly edit a fight scene, or properly choreograph it so that you don't need to distract us with cheap jump cuts and discolored, variable speed shots.

I also recommend this if you need a film to pump you up for the marathon. Seeing this film for the first time in a marathon setting would have been a truly memorable experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:28 am 

I loved DOOMSDAY although it was better when I saw it the first time (Escape from New York) but it was a lot of fun and a must for a future marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:32 pm 

Agreed. Absolutely stupid but I loved it. There was even a smattering of applause a few times in the audience I saw it with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:41 pm 

MINOR SPOILER ALERT

A great moment that totally got me stoked for the marathon: When Sol was giving that rallying speech right before they cooked and ate that guy, at one point my friend turned to me and said "Caaaaaaan yooooooou dig iiiiiiiiiittttt!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:55 pm 

I really enjoyed it too. I thought it was a ton of fun... and so did the 5 other people in the audience.

Apparently there's really not much interest in "throwback" films. Doomsday is this year's Grindhouse, or Slither. Film geeks love it, but the mainstream audience doesn't care. Kinda sad, really.

I assume everyone here caught the "Miller" and "Carpenter" verbal references? Hard to miss, unless you went to the bathroom or something. But that's the kind of knowing wink that made it such fun. At least Marshall knows what he's ripping off, and how to do it well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:03 pm 

Another point I wanted to make, regarding the disappointing boxoffice: they obviously didn't know how to market the film, since the TV ads made it look like a cross between 28 Days Later and Resident Evil. Which is really not what the movie is, at all. But I can imagine people seeing those ads and dismissing it immediately as yet another zombie/virus/disease movie, when that's merely a small part of the film. Oh well..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:43 pm 

I can't believe I forgot to bump this thread earlier...I was hoping it would be at this years 'thon!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm 

Thanks for the bump. That movie has kind of disappeared, but I still think it would be great for a marathon someday.

Instead this year you have to put up with crap like RoboCop and Rollerball. You poor schmucks. :wink: