The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:54 pm 

As some of you know, for the last year or so, I (Anthony DiSalvo aka LA Connection) have been co-writing some magazine articles with my friend and long time collector and writer, Paul Parla. And, lo and behold, we got nominated for a Rondo Award for one of them! It's a piece I did on Don Sullivan for Scary Monsters Magazine. The Rondo Awards are for the Horror and SF field.

And, the best news?

YOU CAN VOTE FOR ME!! And, the Ohio Marathon is up for the Patricia Neal Q&A session! So vote for it too!

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN fans can also vote for it, along with other faves in Movies, DVD and movie mags.

So, please help me win! Vote here: http://www.rondoaward.com/

Here's my category and submission:

12. Best Article of 2008 (PLEASE PICK TWO)

-- 'Sullivan's Travels in Hollywood,' by Paul and Donna Parla, additional material by Anthony DiSalvo and Lawrence Fultz Jr., SCARY MONSTERS #67. Career retrospective on the man who tamed the Gila Monster. (they got my credit wrong. I actually wrote and edited the whole piece and did the Introduction. Paul and Donna did the interview. But, a nomination is a nomination!)

Don't dawdle - VOTE!!!!

Last edited by L.A. Connection on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:35 pm 

Anybody have any 'civic' pride and vote for the Ohio Marathon at the Rondo Awards?

Here is how the category reads:

"17. Best Fan Event

-- Addams Family Meets the Munsters: Q&A with Lisa Loring, Pat Priest, Felix Silla and surprise visit from Grandpa Munster (Ron Chamberlain), at Monster Bash.

-- Blob panic reenactment of moviegoers fleeing, held at actual theater where movie was filmed in Phoenixville, Pa. (Blobfest)

-- Dr. Gangrene's Chiller Theater Live! at WonderFest features midnight madness with Bob Burns, John Goodwin, Frank Dietz and Nurse Moan-Eek!

-- Godzilla-suit actor Haruo Nakajima receives 'Mangled Skyscraper Award' at G-FEST XV.

-- Klaatu Barada Ohio: Patricia Neal speaks at 25th Annual Ohio Sci-Fi Film Festival, a 24-hour marathon held outside Columbus.

-- Paul's Brain Trust charity event features Blade Runner screening at Warner Brothers with Ridley Scott, and later a fund-raiser at Dark Delicacies to benefit producer and video store legend Paul Prischman.

-- Spellbound: Reunion of Ray Bradbury's 'The Jar' on Alfred Hitchcock Presents with director Norman Lloyd, cast members and Bradbury by phone at the University of Northern Alabama. Hosted by Terry Pace.

-- Universal Monster Army monster toy exhibit, including rare toys from 50s and 60s, at WonderFest.

-- Witches' Dungeon Classic Movie Museum. Startling recreations of full-sized classic monsters, open at Halloween in Bristol, Conn.

-- World Zombie Day included zombie walks and charity events in Monroeville, Pa., Grand Rapids, Mich., and 40 cities."

P.S. And, don't forget about your L.A. ambassador...........
L.A. Connection wrote:
As some of you know, for the last year or so, I (Anthony DiSalvo aka LA Connection) have been co-writing some magazine articles with my friend and long time collector and writer, Paul Parla. And, lo and behold, we got nominated for a Rondo Award for one of them! It's a piece I did on Don Sullivan for Scary Monsters Magazine. The Rondo Awards are for the Horror and SF field.

And, the best news?

YOU CAN VOTE FOR ME!! And, the Ohio Marathon is up for the Patricia Neal Q&A session! So vote for it too!

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN fans can also vote for it, along with other faves in Movies, DVD and movie mags.

So, please help me win! Vote here: http://www.rondoaward.com/

Here's my category and submission:

12. Best Article of 2008 (PLEASE PICK TWO)

-- 'Sullivan's Travels in Hollywood,' by Paul and Donna Parla, additional material by Anthony DiSalvo and Lawrence Fultz Jr., SCARY MONSTERS #67. Career retrospective on the man who tamed the Gila Monster. (they got my credit wrong. I actually wrote and edited the whole piece and did the Introduction. Paul and Donna did the interview. But, a nomination is a nomination!)

Don't dawdle - VOTE!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:24 am 

Looking at that ballot makes me realize how ignorant on some of this I really am. Or how much of a life I have. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:33 pm 

Voting ends today!!!

Saturday the 21st!

VOTE!!

rondoaward.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:21 pm 

The results are in!

No, the Ohio Marathon didn't win, and neither did I. :(

But, it is always nice to be nominated. :)

From the website announcement of the winners: rondoward.com

Rue Morgue takes four Rondos; Twilight Zone is Best Book; Svengoolie is top horror host

Tim Lucas is Best Writer; Basil Gogos is Best Artist; Joe Moe named Monster Kid of Year

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ARLINGTON, VA -- Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, TV's The Munsters and Ray Harryhausen's
7th Voyage of Sinbad were all winners Monday in the Seventh Annual Rondo Hatton Classic Horror
Awards, which also honored the man who cared for sci-fi legend Forrest J Ackerman in the final
years of his life.

But the biggest surprise came when a special "Hitchcock" edition of Barbie, dressed like
Tippi Hedren and swarmed by miniature crows from The Birds, topped the Creature from the Black
Lagoon in a showdown for Best Model, Toy or Collectible.

Not only did the 50-year-old doll from Mattel beat out the green-scaled Creature, but she outclassed
models from The Exorcist, Invasion of the Saucermen and even an action figure of Rondo Hatton himself, the obscure 1940s horror actor who inspired the fan awards.

The Rondos are an annual celebration of the vintage monsters who sparked almost a century of horror films and sequels. The worldwide online survey by the Classic Horror Film Board, a 14-year old online community, is the largest in the genre and drew a record 2,932 emailed votes.

Beyond Barbie's latest triumph, winners ranged from the modern -- The Dark Knight was
voted best film of 2008, and Doctor Who favorite television show -- to classic horrors from the past:

-- A new edition of the 1960 film, Psycho, was voted Best Classic Horror DVD.
-- A collection of Harryhausen's 1950s science fiction films, including a colorized Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, was named Best DVD Collection, and the collected episodes of The Munsters was the favorite TV collection.
-- Criterion's painstaking reconstruction of Carl Dreyer's atmospheric 1932 chiller, Vampyr, was voted Best Restoration.

The most emotional moments came when it was announced in an online ceremony that a Los Angeles
producer, Joe Moe, had been named "Monster Kid of the Year,'' for his long years serving as a friend. adviser and caregiver for horror and science fiction collector Ackerman. The founder of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, Ackerman died this year at the age of 92.

"For his quiet, constant and unwavering stewardship of Forrest J Ackerman's final decade of life,'' the
Rondo citation reads, "Joe Moe revealed not only the man behind Mr. Monster, but the grace and
strength of the ultimate fan. For being there when we all couldn't, Joe Moe is Monster Kid of the Year.''

Moe, contacted by phone during the event, said, "If ever there was a time when I needed my monster
family, it's now. Thank you so much for validating the work I tried to do in a fashion that would make
all of you proud. I tried not to cry for Forry but now that he's gone, this honor from you, my pals, has me
in tears. Thank you so much."

Other winners included:

-- Best DVD Extra: "One for the Fire,'' a documentary about the making of Night of the Living Dead.
-- Best DVD Commentary: Makeup master Rick Baker, Bob Burns, Scott Essman, Steve Haberman and Brent Armstrong for The Mummy (1932).
-- Best Documentary: Spine-Tingler: The William Castle Story.
-- Book of the Year: The Twilight Zone by Martin Grams.
-- Best Magazine: Rue Morgue.
-- Best Article: "Coffin Joe Resurrected,'' a look at the legendary Brazilian filmmaker Jose Mojica Marins, by Scott Gabbey and Jovanka Vuckovic in Rue Morgue.
-- Best Magazine Cover: Rue Morgue #83, a portrait of Ackerman by longtime Famous Monsters artist
Basil Gogos.
-- Best Website: Trailers from Hell.
-- Best Blog: Video Watchblog.

-- Convention of the Year: Wonderfest in Louisville.
-- Fan Event of the Year: World Zombie Day.
-- Favorite Horror Host: Svengoolie, played by Rich Koz, in Chicago.
-- Best Horror Audio Site: Rue Morgue Radio.
-- CD of the Year: Soundtrack of The Blob by Monstrous Movie Music.
-- Best Horror Comic Book: Hellboy: In the Chapel of Moloch, by Mike Mignola.
-- Biggest controversy: An L.A. fan's disputed claim he had once examined the long-lost Lon Chaney
film, London After Midnight.

-- Writer of the Year: Tim Lucas, author and editor of Video Watchdog
-- Artist of the Year: Basil Gogos.
-- Favorite DVD Reviewer: Glenn Erickson of DVD Savant.
-- Vasaria Public Citizen Award: Cameron McCasland and Chiller Cinema for public service announcements by Nashville's Dr. Gangrene and Nurse Moan-Eek.

-- Monster Kid Hall of Fame inductees: European horror actor Paul Naschy, Jim and Marian Clatterbaugh of Monsters from the Vault magazine, painter Ken Kelly, the late Calvin Beck, founder of Castle of Frankenstein magazine, the late Lux Interior, lead singer for punk band The Cramps and an influence on the psychobilly horror rock movement, and the late Bob Wilkins, original host of San Francisco's Creature Features.

Many of the Rondo winners will receive Rondo busts, sculpted by Kerry Gammill and cast by Tim Lindsey, at the Wonderfest convention in Louisville on May 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 pm 

I almost voted for World Zombie day and the marathon was the main reason I went to vote. Not suprised it won. The Blob reenactment sounded cool as well.