The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:45 pm 

Quote:
And Svarney, I'm really sorry. I know exactly who you are because we sat next to each other in the first movie. I was sort of worried about it, and figured the zen thing to do was to see if you wanted to slide to the middle of the row where our getting up wouldn't be an issue, but you didn't say anything, so I didn't prompt it. I notice you left during the middle - I hope to find a different seat and not out of the theater entirely.

Rest assured, I didn't leave due to you. Andromeda Strain, though a good movie, kicked my butt with the pacing at that hour. I knew I wasn't going to recover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:11 pm 

People we're decently okay this time but the lady with the black hair and glasses about 2 seats behind me to the left seemed she had to constantly talk round the clock in a loud voice and was the one who kept harping "What's it mean,what's it mean" when Patricia was talking about Klaatu Birada Niktu. Man,I wanted to throw sharp objects at her contantly and eventually went out to the lobby to calm down my anger a few times. SHE JUST WOULDN'T SHUT UP! Ban these people,Bruce.
Other than that I enjoyed the Lady Terminator comments the most. It was pretty okay all around but I could have done without the lady talking ALL the time. She kind of ruined the experience overall for me. Kind of brought me down. Reminds me on the lady Kramer was dating on that episode of Seinfeld that kept talking during Jerry's set. I'm already really wanting another marathon. This one went by too fast and I got a cool parking spot right across from the theatre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:41 am 

Infra-Kid wrote:
People we're decently okay this time but the lady with the black hair and glasses about 2 seats behind me to the left seemed she had to constantly talk round the clock in a loud voice and was the one who kept harping "What's it mean,what's it mean" when Patricia was talking about Klaatu Birada Niktu. Man,I wanted to throw sharp objects at her contantly and eventually went out to the lobby to calm down my anger a few times. SHE JUST WOULDN'T SHUT UP!

That lady was BRUTAL.

Very tough to deal with especially during the Patricia Neal part, but she was bad through pretty much the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:49 am 

That lady was in the row behind me and I knew before Battlestar Galactica that she'd be trouble. But by then the six of us had decent seats and weren't about to troll around for new ones. She calmed down slightly after Bruce talked about snarking. If she had kept up the same level throughout the entire marathon that she had during Battlestar, things might have gotten real ugly. Repeating what was just said on screen IS NOT FUNNY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:29 am 

I missed the lady, I think I might have been behind her, so her voice may not have carried back. I was in the center of the theater, 5 rows from the back.

That put me in front of and to the left of the "snorkers," and the Uranus jokes did get a bit old for me. The Lady Terminator comments really weren't qany cruder than what was on the screen. However, in their defense, they are right, there were people around me who kept laughing at every one of them. I can't cast stones, I comment from time to time as well, though I would like to think I show restraint.

Just out of curiosty, were the "snorkers" in question also the folks that, while we were outside in line, told the couple who were walking by what we were waiting for was a Weight Watchers meeting? That was kinda funny.

I do think the 11 year old boy that I saw left just before Clockwork Orange. Right now, I plan to start bring my son when he is 9 (his birthday is in late May, so he will be close to 10.) I likely would have had him head home (if he lasted that long) after Big Man Japan. He is 4 right now and had a blast watching Earth vs. the Spider with me the other day. So much so that when he had the choice of playing Lego Star Wars or watching Earth vs the Spider (which he had already seen twice) he chose the movie, which came as a pleasant suprise to me. Maybe it was because I am now a parent and pay more attention, but I've noticed over the last few years, Bruce has done a good job of making the first 6 hours or so, more family friendly.

I don't think the snarking was any cruder this year than before, I think perhaps one notices it more when they have a child with them. I could be wrong, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 pm 

No I was the one who said we were in line for weight watchers!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!! Sorry I'm not the snarker in question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:31 pm 

Dennis wrote:
I don't think the snarking was any cruder this year than before, I think perhaps one notices it more when they have a child with them. I could be wrong, though.

You may be correct about the level of crudity, maybe I noticed it more because my daughter was there, however this is not the first time I have been to marathon where the talking was constant and it was just as annoying than.

I appreciate the kind words from the person who claimed responsibility and I do believe it wasn't intentional. All is forgiven and forgotten!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:42 pm 

I am probably in the minority, but I don't like snarking in the least bit. I have zero tolerance....but it's part of the marathon, so I have to endure it. I have learned to tune a lot of it out. Even people in my own group do it and...yes, it annoys me. I don't want to all of their fun, so I compromise - some films I tolerate it and let it slide, so when i do ask them to be quiet they are usually respectful.

If a movie NEEDS snarking then what's the point in watching it. I can watch a "bad" movie and enjoy it and laugh without some jackass making a wisecrack which they find funny. I must say, I probably only laugh at 1 or 2 comments the entire marathon if THAT! Usually the movies are much funnier than what anyone has to say. Lady Terminator is funny on it's own. It doesn't need someone else to make a joke BECAUSE THE FILM ITSELF IS FUNNY!

I thought the same thing for Journey to the 7th Planet. It was fun on it's own. I didn't need all the Uranus jokes to make it funny. The film had it's own naive charm that stood out of place in today's context. I can enjoy it for what it is.

Anyway, I am in the minority, I know. I just don't like watching films so I can make fun of them. That to me, is a waste of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:16 pm 

Carter, you may be in the minority, but you are not the only one. I agree with you. This year seemed worse, because all the jokes were sooooo obvious. Look! It's Rick Springfield! I bet no one else can think of a Jessie's Girl joke! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 am 

Wow..That sucks. Last year had some hilarious moments...

The best ones are where the entire audience catches something or reacts in a dramatic way simultaneously...like when the beehive girl in "The Great Yokai War" yanked down her top (off camera) and everyone exploded with "YES!!!!!!" and the she immediately yanked it back up and the audience responded with a very dissapointed "AWWWWWW!" That was classic.

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 am 

I think this has been blown way out od proportion, it wasn't all that bad at all. In fact I thought this year was quieter than most!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:06 am 

One line from Stranger from Venus I liked. The visitor was showing off his advanced intelligence by reading a British newspaper and translating it out loud in different languages. When he got to the end of the section read in French someone yelled out, "We Surrender."

I think part of the problem is some of the lines really need the visual to be appreciated. Also, some of the Uranus jokes would have been funnier if they had been the first Uranus joke instead of the 15th.

I didn't think it was any chattier than most years and with the exception of the razor comments in 1984, I thought folks were good during the serious films like 1984, Clockwork Orange, Sputnik Mania, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:09 am 

airportman73 wrote:
I think this has been blown way out od proportion, it wasn't all that bad at all. In fact I thought this year was quieter than most!

I agree. But, it may just depend on where we were sitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:36 pm 

carter9000 wrote:
I am probably in the minority, but I don't like snarking in the least bit. I have zero tolerance....but it's part of the marathon, so I have to endure it. I have learned to tune a lot of it out. Even people in my own group do it and...yes, it annoys me. I don't want to all of their fun, so I compromise - some films I tolerate it and let it slide, so when i do ask them to be quiet they are usually respectful.

If a movie NEEDS snarking then what's the point in watching it. I can watch a "bad" movie and enjoy it and laugh without some jackass making a wisecrack which they find funny. I must say, I probably only laugh at 1 or 2 comments the entire marathon if THAT! Usually the movies are much funnier than what anyone has to say. Lady Terminator is funny on it's own. It doesn't need someone else to make a joke BECAUSE THE FILM ITSELF IS FUNNY!

I thought the same thing for Journey to the 7th Planet. It was fun on it's own. I didn't need all the Uranus jokes to make it funny. The film had it's own naive charm that stood out of place in today's context. I can enjoy it for what it is.

Anyway, I am in the minority, I know. I just don't like watching films so I can make fun of them. That to me, is a waste of time.

Excellent points about snarking made here. i had a blast watching both Journey to the 7th Planet and Lady Terminator this year because both of them were absurd. The marathon is a communal experience and it is fun to share with our fellow Science Fiction fans how absurd and outrageous these films are. Personally, I don't laugh much at extra comments made in an attempt to I guess "enhance" the already present absurdity.

I am guilty of making comments to my seatmates such as "Stop pointing that gun at me!" to draw attention to the poor acting on screen and how the characters are seemingly careless with their firearms. But at the same time, someone shouting "He's gonna point that thing at Uranus!" within the same context is not funny. It's fun when the audience does the collective "woooooooo!" when the guy puts his head on the other guy's lap. Making another comment at that point is just unnecessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:05 pm 

I do like the audience reacting in unison, like when the guy laid his head on the lap of the other character, but that is an honest reaction. It's not someone trying to make fun of the movie. Plus that moment was obviously intended to be funny, so laughing at that moment was appropriate.

Also, the moment that Sanctuary points out - the top removal in Great Yoki War - was also an honest gut reaction from the audience. It wasn't a thought out funny joke that an individual spouted to the entire audience. It's like screaming at a horror film, or laughing during a comedy. It's an honest reaction that when shared in unison with an entire audience expands on the experience of watching the movie. What I hate is one individual trying to interrupt the film and yell aloud some joke that isn't funny.

Overall, I thought this year wasn't that bad. I was sitting on the right side of the theater...maybe it was worse on the other side of the planet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next