The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:14 pm 

A little disappointed there is no 'recent' major movie, but what the heck, looks like a BLAST.

I CAN'T WAIT!

ROBOCOP!

usinoh wrote:
The Complete Line-Up!!!

TIMECRIMES - Columbus Premiere
ALIEN TRESPASS - Columbus Premiere
MUTANT CHRONICLES - Columbus Premiere
TOKYO GORE POLICE - Columbus Premiere
FAMOUS MONSTER: FORREST J. ACKERMAN - Midwest Premiere
CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON in 3-D (1953)
LOGAN'S RUN (1976)
ROBOCOP (1987)
ROLLERBALL (1975)
STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982)
THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951)
THE TIME TRAVELERS (1964)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm 

hutch wrote:
A little disappointed there is no 'recent' major movie, but what the heck, looks like a BLAST.
I thought the exact same thing when I read the list. I was hoping something recent like The Mist or Transformers or Jumper or something like that would show up.

That said, the movie line-up is incredible! I certainly cannot complain.

Way to go Bruce and Joe and whoever is involved with picking the movies!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:30 pm 

Jumper? The same movie that have that "actor" that help ruin Star Wars Episode II and III?

There are recent movies to the lineup. Tme Crimes was relase last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:52 pm 

willcail wrote:
There are recent movies to the lineup. Tme Crimes was relase last year.

You missed an operative part of my sentence..."recent major movie"...

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 pm 

The whole lineup looks great, but I am especially looking forward to the 50's and 60's films plus, of course, Logan's Run and Tokyo Gore Police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:20 am 

(sigh) Sir, I did not fail to read your post. You stated that "some of us go to the Marathon to watch classics on the big screen, not some movie that will be released in theaters in April". That statement implies that you are more interested in seeing the classics than you are in the premieres, and that anyone interested in seeing Mutant Chronicles is apparently not in sync with the spirit of the Marathon. The fact that you also stated you were interested in seeing the other premieres merely contradicts your own statement, not anything I said previously.

It is true that a lot of movies play in theaters that are not quality. That doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a difference between "movies that play in theaters" and "direct-to-DVD fodder". Frankly, some straight-to-DVD films are better than a lot of what shows in theaters. But I think we all know what the term generally implies - bargain-basement, bottom-of-the-barrel crap. Whether good, bad, or indifferent, I don't think this statement is true of Mutant Chronicles. The movie has played at film festivals, gotten some good reviews, and somebody obviously thinks it has enough merit to show in theaters rather than send it straight to DVD, which I'm sure they could easily do given that it's an independent production.

Since you obviously have a bug up your rectum about this movie, I suggest you take Meatfetish's advice and simply not watch it. That's what I do when something plays at a marathon that I'm not interested in seeing. What I don't do is try to convince Bruce to take it off the lineup because it doesn't fit my standards of quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:00 am 

Looks like a great line up. Lots of time travel gems, so I'm jazzed. Mutant Chronicles looks great. Devon Aoki on a big screen can never be bad. Great cast.

This is going to be the best Thon ever. :lol: :lol:

:)>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:00 am 

My first marathon I remember many people in line wondering about the premiere: why did Bruce book it? Then we saw Frequency, and realized it was a great booking.

Would I have booked one less premiere? Yes. Has Bruce earned the benefit of the doubt? Yes. Look at the line-up again. I don't see an Automotons in the premiere list.

People can complain about straight to DVD, but I remember Starship Troopers 2 was fun, and Reanimator Whatever number it was was fun, so I'm expecting these will be fun too. If not, then the rest of this year's line-up should be worth the price of admission. I've never seen Rollerball, so I'm especially glad my first viewing of it will be on a screen.

Bruce, thanks for all your hard work. I'm a movie buff, and this is always the highlight of my movie going year.

And since I'm bringing my daughter for the first time, please show the Loews Muppet trailer. Man, I love that bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:33 am 

SRCputt wrote:
People can complain about straight to DVD, but I remember Starship Troopers 2 was fun, and Reanimator Whatever number it was was fun

And don't forget TREMORS 2 that was Great!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:50 am 

I don't really care about game based movies of any kind. According to your logic that I must like all of the premiers or none at all.

Am I not allowed to express my views on one movie that have a driector that haven't proved himself? The Director of Mutant Cronicles only other movie was a direct to DVD flick called Lighthouse.

The lineup looks great I don't have any other issues.

I hold movie based games to a lower standard. The three other premires does get credit for not adapting a game manual.

Plus people already seen Transformers (Micheal Bay's only decient to good movie) Jumper was terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:09 am 

I wonder how this print of Cat Women is. I recall the Continent one could be charitibally called abridged. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:12 pm 

Well the runtime Cat Women is 64min. How can Cat Women 3D be shorter than 64min?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:53 pm 

You are allowed to like whatever you want to like. I really don't care. My point is that the rest of us want to see the movie. No one individual gets to decide what should or should not play at a marathon - except Bruce. This is an event, not a democracy. We can make suggestions, but we don't get a vote. If you don't want to see the movie, no one is forcing you to. All I have done is simply make logical, rational responses to your inconsistent statements.

My logic is that you are passing judgment on this particular film for no good reason. You have the right to do that, and I have the right to disagree. Now can we please move on already?? Since you apparently have no interest in using logic or reason in your arguments, I really have no interest in continuing this conversation any further. It is pointless.

The real question should be: is the RoboCop print the R version or the X version? That's what I'm interested in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 pm 

Just a little disappointed in about half the lineup. Most of it can be found in the $5 bin at Walmart. Where's the rarities and obscure stuff that we've come to expect? I would prefer some stuff like TerrorVision,It Came Without Warning,etc. that isn't on DVD. Seems like there wasn't much trying this time. Seems a little wishy-washy. Has the passion left our beloved marathon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:06 pm 

I'm actually fairly happy with the line-up. Nothing in there that I've seen before that I dislike and a couple of genuine classics.
Please, please though, don't place Tokyo Gore Police too late at night... I want to see this for the first time with a marathon crowd. Sometime between midnight and 2AM start time would be great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next