The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:29 pm 

Tell me one good movie that is based on any game with the exception of Clue.

Movie based games DON'T HAVE A GREAT TRACK RECORD.

When did I become the lord and master of the Columbus Sci Fi Thon?

Plus Logan's Run and Star Trek II are better than Mutant Chronicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:37 pm 

actually, most people really enjoyed the resident evil fliks, i know i did...not taking sides in this argument, just thought i would point them out....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:47 pm 

Again, not interested in continuing the conversation. Go bait someone else. I'm done with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, folks, I'm making a rare foray into my territory as co-co-co-co moderator of this board. As you all know (or should know), we don't allow trolling or flame wars here, and some of these (ahem) arguments are coming pretty close to that territory. I'm all for lively debate, but some of you are starting to take this to the realm of a Graduate Level Pissing Contest. If you don't like something in the lineup, cool. Lord knows, I've bitched and moaned about titles over the years. But please, if you've made your point and can't add anything new (or creative, or funny) to it, don't just keep repeating the same thing over and over. It gets annoying for the longtime posters and doesn't exactly serve as a ringing endorsement to the newbies. When STARSHIP TROOPERS 2 was booked a few years back, I laid into it as being a poor choice, but after my initial posting, I just let it go, assuming that most people could read my original post. It didn't change the fact that I didn't want to see the movie, but I was happy enough with the rest of the lineup that I didn't feel the need to keep hammering away.

As well, if you want to engage in a tit for tat dispute, keep it intelligent and respectful or take it to PMs. If need be, Dave, Jen, Bruce and I can delete these postings. Not that we want to do that. But come on now, this is supposed to be a subsection of the larger Marathon community. We go to these events because they're fun, because they're like a huge dysfunctional family gathering...not because we want to rip someone's head off because they disagree with us. Try to have a little fun in this electronic parlor.

Last edited by Joe Neff on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:49 am 

Joe, I sincerely apologize. It was never my intention to keep this discussion going as long as it has. I just wanted the organizers to be aware that some of us DO want to see the film. That's really all I care about in this.

No one is more tired of this than me. That's why I made the statement that I wasn't going to discuss it any further. And I intend to stick to that. Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:41 am 

Since I have deep respect you and Bruce so I'll end it as well.

I do realize that some people like game based movies and some don't

ImJackuserID nor I speak for the whole Columbus Science Fiction community, the people running it as the whole. We all have different taste in science fiction movies and movies in whole.

Bygones be bygones and lets moved on.

Post subject: Cat Women of the Moon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:06 pm 

I'm digging IMDB's one liner about Cat Women of the Moon.

Quote:
Astronauts travel to the moon where they discover it is inhabited by attractive young women in black tights.

I love movies about women on some planet or in this case moon.

Too bad Joe the honey bear isn't in Cat Women. I miss him like you wouldn't believe. King Dinosaur has got to be one of my favorite scifi marathon movies ever. Everyone had so much invested in that little guys survival.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:37 pm 

my preferred running order:

(some movies are obviously a lot shorter than 2 hours, but for simplicity's sake, this is the general order I'd vote for)

12pm - Logan's Run
2pm - The Time Travelers
4pm - Famous Monster: Forrest J Ackerman
6pm - Cat Women of the Moon in 3-D
8pm - TimeCrimes
10pm - Alien Trespass
12am - Mutant Chronicles
2am - Tokyo Gore Police
4am - Star Trek II
6am - Rollerball
8am - The Thing From Another World
10am - Robocop

If you don't want to start with Logan's Run, I could see Robocop as a starter too. Not sure if Wrath of Khan would be a good opener.

Though with so many premieres this year, maybe we'll start with one of them. Perhaps Timecrimes or Alien Trespass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Very close Cleazer!

Unforeseen intergalactic glitches could gum up the
highly sensitive, convolutedly complicated Marathon
mechanics, but here is a likely schedule for this year's
26th ANNUAL OHIO 24 HOUR SCIENCE FICTION MARATHON.
Veteran marathoids understand that all showtimes
are very approximate and it could be necessary to
change the sequence mid-flight. That said...

.Noon . LOGAN'S RUN
. 2:15 . TIMECRIMES - Columbus Premiere
. 4:15 . FAMOUS MONSTER: FORREST J. ACKERMAN - Midwest Premiere
. 5:05 . 26th Annual Kostume Khantest
. 5:30 . THE TIME TRAVELERS
. 7:15 . ALIEN TRESPASS - Columbus Premiere
. 9:15 . CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON in 3-D
11:15 . MUTANT CHRONICLES - Midwest Premiere
. 1:45 . ROBOCOP
. 4:00 . TOKYO GORE POLICE - Columbus Premiere
. 6:00 . ROLLERBALL
. 8:20 . THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD
10:00 . STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KHAN

Yeah, I know, the film you really wanted to see
is at an inconvenient time. No way around that.
Rest up and go Marathoid - wide awake for 24 hours!

Or join us for the OHIO 12 HOUR SCIENCE FICTION HALFATHON

Midnight . LOGAN'S RUN
. . . 2:15 . TIMECRIMES - Columbus Premiere
. . . 4:15 . THE TIME TRAVELERS
. . . 6:00 . ALIEN TRESPASS - Columbus Premiere
. . . 8:20 . MUTANT CHRONICLES - Midwest Premiere
. . 10:10 . ROBOCOP

Keep watching the sci's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:44 pm 

As always your the master of the scheduling. TOKYO GORE POLICE is a very gore fill.

Logan's Run is the best way to kick off the thon.

Remember you will see those black tights IN 3D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:11 pm 

I don't think I'm part of the big videogame movie argument but am a little concerned of the blandness factor of this one. It does seem that no one is paying attention to "wish lists" or "requests" cause they never seem to actually get anything people really seem to ask for or want. Even cool,interesting or rare prints seem to be overlooked almost on purpose when they could easily be gotten and showed. Does this make me a little bitter or concerned? Some. Since I'm one of the rare breed that have been to EVERY horror,sci-fi and schlock marathon since the beginning,just a fresh faced geek out of high school at the time. I have been watching the way things have been going since those early days at the Drexel North and beyond and it seems it really isn't THE event everyone thinks it is. It was back in the days perhaps but now it seems they are lacking the big fun that those marathons were(maybe it was the 100s more people),guests,freebies,etc. I think the real problem seems to be the illusion that our opinion counts. Every year the early "wish lists" start and rarely or never are they received or considered it would seem. I've even offered up free 35mm prints and guests for use and never even heard an email back to acknowledge it. This year I offered up contact with Bert I Gordon and Roger Corman for guests and never heard a peep. Rare films as well.
So being a member of the club that has been to ALL marathons I would like an official statement posted that our "wish lists" are of no use. If all of our typings are of no use I would at least like to spend that time doing something else.
And before all the attacks come,I am in no way being mean,upset or bitter. I would just like the truth to not waste my breath wanting films that will never come. I will be at the upcoming marathon as well as hopefully many more in the future and enjoy them but I don't want to be fooled into believing that my favorite films will ever be showed. I have made other statements detailing some of this throughout the board under different headings but it kind of just comes down to this.
Anyway,here is hoping for a fun and lively upcoming marathon and more to come. I have been going to these since the 80s and just wish they would progress,not reduce. These could be the epic events of the Drexel North days if they did them well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:33 pm 

Infra-Kid wrote:
It does seem that no one is paying attention to "wish lists" or "requests" cause they never seem to actually get anything people really seem to ask for or want.
Really? It seems to me like Logan's Run has been the most requested film for years!

And while I'm personally not a huge fan, I seem to recall quite a few requests for Robocop too.

And people are always asking for more premieres. (Until this year, when we got the ridiculous "too many premieres" thread. Rest assured though, if there was only one or two premieres this year, somebody would start a thread asking for more premieres.)

I'm pretty sure I've seen Rollerball, Wrath of Khan, and the Thing requested too.

I really don't see how you can make the claim that you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 pm 

I have to agree with Cleazer here. I think people gave up asking for Logan's Run because for more than 10 years at least, we've been told there were no prints. Same with Rollerball. After the print fell through 5 years ago, I think people gave up asking for it too, but both movies have been heavily requested over the years. Same with Robocop. I do wish we'd wait until we could bookend the marathon with both versions of The Thing though. I think Bruce and Jeff and Joe are very response to our requests, but sometimes reality intrudes and prints just aren't available or are too expensive. A few years ago we got Contact removed because no one was really into it, and Red Planet was replaced by Total Recall for similar reasons. I understand the frustrations with offering up free prints and/or guests. Night of the Comet had been offered up for years by its owner before it played a couple of years ago.

I learned a long time ago to put my faith in Bruce and his scheduling choices. I almost didn't go the year The Apple played because I didn't love the lineup. but I did and had a great time. There are some people that post on here a list of two dozen B and C grade movies every year for the wish list (in the hopes of having a 24 hour MST3K marathon?). Some of these movies might be fun, but most are better as trailers and I think Bruce knows that. We generally get a good mix of films and I always have a good time. If I could change things, I'd dump the Forest Ackerman doc and The Thing (until we get the remake) and dump Star Trek 2. But if we did that there'd be others complaining. So I'm totally fine with all the titles we have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:03 pm 

Quote:
.Noon . LOGAN'S RUN
. 2:15 . TIMECRIMES - Columbus Premiere
. 4:15 . FAMOUS MONSTER: FORREST J. ACKERMAN - Midwest Premiere
. 5:05 . 26th Annual Kostume Khantest
. 5:30 . THE TIME TRAVELERS
. 7:15 . ALIEN TRESPASS - Columbus Premiere
. 9:15 . CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON in 3-D
11:15 . MUTANT CHRONICLES - Midwest Premiere
. 1:45 . ROBOCOP
. 4:00 . TOKYO GORE POLICE - Columbus Premiere
. 6:00 . ROLLERBALL
. 8:20 . THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD
10:00 . STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KHAN

I know I asked for Tokyo Gore Police earlier; but this doesn't look so bad. The wild card here is Mutant Chronicles... will it be this year's energy-drainer for me? I believe it was my first horror marathon, but Fearless Vampire Killers (sorry to those who enjoy the film) nearly put me to sleep in the 10PM or so slot. Never fully recovered from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:31 pm 

When I went to my first Science Fiction Marathon at the Arena Grand I was amazed when I saw A Trip to the Moon on the widescreen. I was hook.

The mix of classics, schlock, and premiers, is tought. I don't know how Bruce came across a print of Logan's Run or how much he have to paid for it. He makes some sort of consessions to the lineup.

Logn's Run, Robocop, and Rollerball were requsted and now these three films are going to be screened.

It all comes down to when a print of a film or films becomes available.

One of my request was to see a 3D movie besides Creature from the Black Lagoon. As you known that this film was screened 4 or 5 times at the Columbus Science Fiction and Horror Marathons within the same decade. Nothing worng with Creature but time for a rest. Cat Woman of the Moon wasn't top of the list but it is a 3D film that I've haven't seen. It is for the snarking and its short.

It is getting to be seven days and counting and I'll be in line at 6:4O AM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next