The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:15 pm 

geekzapoppin wrote:
How can you be a kaiju fan and not like GODZILLA:FW? I mean it's true that having so many monsters show up means that none of them save the big green guy get any appreciable screen time, but several of them make the most of their few minutes. It is a little slow in the middle but the beginning and the last half-hour are non-stop action. Plus it has Baby Godzilla in it and he's FUNNY!

I couldn't agree more myself, but part of the group at my forum is kinda upity about the kaiju genre in general. Most of them only like the more serious earlier films and don't really care too much for most of the movies after 'Destroy all Monsters', the 70s films in particular get shunned quite a bit, which is ofcourse where Kitamura got allot of inspiration for GFW ironically enough. When it comes to GFW allot of people hate the characters, the story, the plot, the acting, the fact that so many kaiju were crammed into one film, 'the Matrix' style fight scenes and Kitamura himself. Allot of Goji fans I guess were hoping for a more somber and serious film to celebrate Godzilla's 50th anniversary and for them GFW just didn't cut it.

Again, I personally love the film, but then again I don't take the genre nearly as seriously as other G-fans.