The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Movie discussion thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:04 pm 

I personally think that the lineup is shaping up to be great.

Forbidden Planet
Obviously, an all-time classic. This'll be its fourth showing, I believe, but it's never been shown at a marathon I've attended (I've been coming since the 11th), and its one of my favorites. I love this movie and I love the Tempest. I've never seen it on the big screen. Definitely looking forward to this one.

The Invisible Boy
50's cheese + Robby the Robot? I'm in.

Soylent Green
It's been a while since I saw this one, so I can't remember if it's a great movie, or just a great catchphrase. This movie makes the future seem a little depressing. I mean, who can imagine a future without books?

Batman
This falls into the not-sure-it's-really-sci-fi-but-I-don't-care-because-it's-mother-effing-Batman category. Haven't seen this in a long time. Great opportunity to induct Prince into the Hall of Fame for his hideous Batdance.

Godzilla: Final Wars
This could be the monster movie to end them all. I've heard nothing but good things.

The Crazies
Sure, okay.

Serenity (if it's confirmed)
I could do without this one. Now, maybe it's because I didn't ever see Firefly, but I couldn't stay interested in this movie. I'm definitely willing to give it another chance, though. The visuals were great.

Now, what else have we got?

Last edited by Dr. Inertia on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:01 pm 

THE CRAZIES is definitely a high point. It's low-budget and some of the acting is stilted, but it's a great story and nicely done.

GODZILLA: FINAL WARS is directed by the guy who made VERSUS if that tells you anything. The beginning and end are knock-down, non-stop action. The middle gets a little slow. Still, to see Gojira kick the ass of the hideous US Godzilla is worth the price of admission alone.

SOYLENT GREEN is very much a 1970's film but it has a nice sense of atmosphere that transcends the earthy color scheme. It's quite depressing toward the end.

FORBIDDEN PLANET is cheesy, but wonderful to look at and never dull.

Haven't seen INVISIBLE BOY. I think I started to watch it on TCM a while back but didn't get too far into it.

BATMAN doesn't hold up for me like I wish it would. I loved it when it was first released but it's kind of a mess and the script is pretty bad. Nice overall design, though, and Nicholson is always fun to watch.

Haven't seen SERENITY but I love Joss Whedon's work so I think I'll dig it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:37 pm 

A little more than 2 weeks away and still at least 4 unannounced films. It's driving me crazy, but in a strange way it's a little exciting! When I first started going to this thing and there was no internet, there was always a pleasant (or sometimes unpleasant) surprize. I must admit, the last couple of years have been a bit of a disappointment for me and I think that is mainly because of the overwhelming amount of information. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Regardless, I come into town a few days early every year and visit my parents who don't have a computer. Last year, for example, I didn't know that ROLLERBALL had been cancelled until I got to the theater. That would be an example of an unpleasant surprize I guess. Anyway, I'm starting to wonder how much will be in place before I'm away from my computer again this year.

Part of me thinks that Bruce might be doing this on purpose. Or maybe he's just busier this year, who knows. Anyway, for the forseeable future I think I would be excited to come even if I didn't know a single movie that was playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Well, remember that Bruce has got a TON of things he's working on right now, including flyers, certificates, t-shirts, etc. I expect that once the flyers are done we'll get another update.

Or maybe not ... a bit of surprise never hurt anyone. The CWRU Film Festival regularly schedules 2-3 surprise films (some good, and some bad), and it's always welcome.

Myself, I'd rather see Bruce alive and well for the Marathon than killing himself getting ready for it. Updates can wait. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:43 pm 

I am definitely in favor of a surprise movie or two. The Abyss last year was a great surprise (whether it was intended to be or not, it might have just been a last-minute replacement for Rollerball), and I'd love to see this begin a tradition of surprise films at every marathon.

Post subject: FORBIDDEN PLANET
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:30 pm 

geekza wrote:

GODZILLA: FINAL WARS is directed by the guy who made VERSUS if that tells you anything. The beginning and end are knock-down, non-stop action. The middle gets a little slow. Still, to see Gojira kick the ass of the hideous US Godzilla is worth the price of admission alone.

FORBIDDEN PLANET is cheesy, but wonderful to look at and never dull.

Haven't seen SERENITY but I love Joss Whedon's work so I think I'll dig it.

GODZILLA is "worth the price of admission", but the masterful FORBIDDEN PLANET only gets a "cheesy"? :(

But, the Joss Whedon praise gives a hint of the POV that it's coming from...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

I posted this under another topic, but INVISIBLE BOY is well worth checking out. It showed as part of a particularly excellent Boston SF Marathon lineup in 2003. I considered ducking out for dinner, but I was pleasantly surprised by it's verve and general goofiness. Recommended viewing which should be fun with this crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:06 am 

To each his own, slappy. I didn't say FORBIDDEN PLANET was bad, but it's definitely cheesy, IMO. You're welcome to yours; I stick to mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:31 am 
Site Admin

Well, I'm a "Godzilla" girl, so I'm really excited about seeing the Big G on the big screen. I'm all for city stomping...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:05 am 

geekza wrote:
To each his own... I didn't say FORBIDDEN PLANET was bad, but it's definitely cheesy, IMO. You're welcome to yours; I stick to mine.

From Webster's:

cheesy
Pronunciation: 'chE-zE
1 a : resembling or suggesting cheese especially in consistency or odor b : containing cheese

2 : SHABBY 3c, CHEAP

From Farlex online Dictionary:

chees·y Pronunciation (chz)

1. Containing or resembling cheese.
2. Informal Of poor quality; shoddy.

Never noted any fromage in the film, so I assume the 2nd definition from both dictionaries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:54 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Part of me thinks that Bruce might be doing this on purpose. Or maybe he's just busier this year, who knows. Anyway, for the forseeable future I think I would be excited to come even if I didn't know a single movie that was playing.

Please believe me when I say Bruce is just like all of us, he would be much happier with a set date or even advanced notice of the marathon date However his hands are tied by the theatre, not that they are to blame because they also have contracts with the film companies etc. that keep them from setting a date in advance. I guarantee Bruce is running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to pull this altogether in time......and as we all know he will get it done and it will be another great marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:51 pm 

Okay, I bow to your Dictionary skillz.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. While the film is quite enjoyable and the FX are extremely well-done for the time, I find the script and acting to be more than a little melodramatic. Again, that's just my opinion. What a terrible world this would be if we all had the same tastes.

Truce?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:28 pm 

I'm quite happy with the lineup. My only mild complaint is Serenity, but that is my usual complaint about really recent films playing. BTW, I didn't see it in the theater, meant to, but I just don't get to the movies much anymore. I had the same complaint about Sky Captain, which I did enjoy. I figure I will like Serenity, I just would prefer a few years between release and Marathon appearance. I do have to admit, I also enjoyed Equilibrium which also falls into this category.

In general though, I'm trying to stop critiquing the lineup and just leave it to the wisdom of the host organism. I have to say Bruce did a nice job replacing Soylent Green (which I wish hadn't fallen through) with Westworld. I think the balance is very nice, it pretty much hits all teh important categories I think are essential to a good marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:31 pm 

My two cents....

FORBIDDEN PLANET

A true classic and one of my favorites form the 50's, is it just me or is there pretty much a 50th aniversary every year for a certain film at the thon? :lol:

SERENITY

Never saw it honestly, but I am quite curious.

KING KONG

Another favorite of mine that I can't wait to see on the big screen! 8)

WESTWORLD

Ironically enough I've never seen this film either, but I've heard nothing but good things, so I am definetly optimistic.

THE CRAZIES

Nothing like a little chaos, insanity and anarchy at the thon, as a huge Romero fan I am hyped for this one.

THE INVISIBLE BOY

Never saw this one either, will have to reserve judgement until after the thon.

BATMAN

My favorite Batman film before 'Begins' came out. But despite that Keaton and Nicholson are still the bomb!

GODZILLA FINAL WARS

This is the one that I am anticipating the thon audience reaction to the most. Funny thing about GFW is, is that it's mostly non-Godzilla fans that are enjoying it the most. At a Godzilla and kaiju forum that I am a member of almost everyone there hates the film with the exception of but a scant few.

In any case I have said it once and I will say it again, Bruce, you are the man!!! Thank you for putting this incredible line up and the thon itself together for us. What would we do without you? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:31 pm 

How can you be a kaiju fan and not like GODZILLA:FW? I mean it's true that having so many monsters show up means that none of them save the big green guy get any appreciable screen time, but several of them make the most of their few minutes. It is a little slow in the middle but the beginning and the last half-hour are non-stop action. Plus it has Baby Godzilla in it and he's FUNNY!