The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:49 pm 

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5927

Christopher Nolan has often voiced his reservations about 3D movies and especially stereoscopic conversions. However, during a recent interview, filmmaker Jonathan Liebesman (director of Wrath of the Titans) surprisingly revealed that Christopher Nolan is currently converting Inception into 3D, with a view to a future 3D Blu-ray release.

There is no formal information about a street date or any other release details at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:07 am 

I'm not sure how that works, and in my opinion, it really doesn't. I saw the "conversion" of "Nightmare Before Christmas" in 3D at the theatre, and it wasn't anywhere near the experience of watching a movie that is actually filmed in 3D. I was really disappointed. I can't imagine a "Fake 3D" version of Inception. I feel the same about the forthcoming 3D Star Wars saga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:28 am 
Site Admin

To be fair, all the sources I've seen on this story have been limited to that one offhand Liebsman quote, and the WB are currently non-committal from a publicity standpoint, so stating that Nolan is converting it to 3D in this thread is a bit of a reach. Rumored to be converting it? Sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:40 am 

UPDATE: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5944

Last week, reports indicated that Christopher Nolan was working on a stereoscopic conversion of Inception to release it on 3D Blu-ray (see Blu-ray.com, February 25). However, Wally Pfister ASC, the film's Oscar-winning director of photography, now has clarified that, while a 3D release is "definitely" going to happen, he's not taking part in that endeavor, and neither is Nolan. "In terms of what's happening with Inception, you know, Chris and I are like-minded in that way," he said.

Backstage at the Academy Awards, Pfister said he wasn't a fan of 3D, and that "in terms of the immersion for the audience, we like to do things like film things in IMAX and put it on a much larger canvas and higher resolution rather than three-dimensional."

Late last year, Christopher Nolan revealed that his upcoming movie, The Dark Knight Rises, which begins filming in April, will be shot and exhibited in 2D.