The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:58 am 

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5968

Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox have officially announced the 3D theatrical re-release of the Star Wars movies, starting with Episode I The Phantom Menace, which is slated for February 10, 2012. No mention has been made of the 3D Blu-ray release that is likely to take place eventually. Note that Star Wars: The Complete Saga has been announced on 2D Blu-ray for September 2011.

Lucasfilm has stated that the "meticulous" conversion has been supervised by Industrial Light & Magic with "utmost respect for the source material, and with a keen eye for both technological considerations and artistic intentions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:42 am 

How many people are going to complain consently about the Star Wars Saga going post conversion 3D?

Then how many of the same people will see each Star Wars post conversion 3D film including Episode I?

Same group after paying money to see Episode I in post conversion 3D complains how bad Episode I was again.

Then how many of the same group will buy Episode I 3D BLU RAY and then complains how bad the BLU RAY?

Did I just sums up the die hard Star Wars fans?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:11 pm 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
"with utmost respect for the source material, and with a keen eye for both technological considerations and artistic intentions."

Proof beyond a shadow of a doubt once again that Lucas has zero respect for fanboys and has absolutely no clue what the public wants, let alone fans of the whole Star Wars oeuvre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Bah ... he's not going to see another dime of my money, not after the Special Editions. There was a time when I was willing to forgive the changes in order to see the films on the big screen, but that day is long past.

Lucas lost me with that release, and I further refuse to buy any DVD or BluRay releases that don't feature the original scenes, as shot. I'm certainly not going to watch a masterpiece of filmmaking be cheapened by an optical gimmick.

(I speak, of course, only of the original trilogy ... we won't even discuss the prequels.) :)

There's an interesting read at The Secret History of Star Wars site about the restoration that went along with the Special Editions ... many may not agree with everything the site has to say (and he seems to have a real mad-on about the inclusion of the Jabba scene) but his sources are valid, and it explains a LOT.

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

Remember, if something REALLY upsets you - the only valid vote that you have is your wallet. Everything else is noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:16 pm 

The original non SE Trilogy was released onto DVD. Downside that. These ware the laserdisc transfers and non anamorphic. The only special features was the SE editions of the same movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

willcail wrote:
The original non SE Trilogy was released onto DVD. Downside that. These ware the laserdisc transfers and non anamorphic. The only special features was the SE editions of the same movies.

The only DVD of the original trilogy I own, BTW ... and I've never actually run the SE discs through the machine. If that says anything. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 am 

The only SE I defend was A New Hope. Since the Jabba the Hut scene was supposed to be in the orignal. I don't like the changes but the saga is Lucas property.If he wants to make changes to the films and tick off the die hard fans that is his choice.