The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:05 pm 

If this is confrimed then Sweet!! Haven't seen that one either!! And it isn't subtitled!! WooHoo!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:15 pm 

Revenant and The People VS George Lucas are the last two movies. Witch movie will be dropped during SF28? 11 movies one of them is 3 hours. Or schedule Endhiran to start exactly or around at noon. No trailers just Duck Dodgers. Make the first intermission seven minutes long. If a movie going to be dropped IMO it will be Late for Dinner.

Last edited by willcail on Sun May 15, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:34 pm 

PEOPLE VS. GEORGE LUCAS looks like fun!

If I had to choose to drop a film, I think I'd pick either IRON MAN or LATE FOR DINNER. The former because, well, everyone has seen it and probably on the big screen. The latter because I'm just not sure that it will play well with a marathon audience.

I do have to say that, as much as the Bollywood film sounds like fun, I wish there were an edited version for Western audiences. Those films can be tough to get through.

In any case, I'm so looking forward to attending this year. It's been an incredibly-rough year for me and the Marathon is something that always cheers me up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

THE PEOPLE VS. GEORGE LUCAS is confirmed ...

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1063

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:30 pm 

For the 2nd year in a row, I really wanted to attend. But, faced with a way overloaded schedule of so-so "premieres" and a bunch of mostly mediocre reperatory titles, I just can't do it.

6 "Premieres" and/or Brand New Films? (if you add in the semi- sorta-announced REVANANT).

Boston has it's Festival AND its Marathon.

Looks like this year, Ohio is only really having a Festival, with a coupla crumbs for the true Marathoids.

I'm sure it will still be a lot of fun for most folks. Have a ball, and, remember to stay awake!

P.S. My guide to staying awake for 24 hours here:

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=823

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:44 am 

Mediocre titles? War of the Worlds, Buckaroo Banzai, Planet of the Vampires are great classics. Troll Hunter, IMO will be a great marathon film. Since I watched it ON DEMAND last week. True I don't always like the line up and disagree with some of the choices. I always go to both marathons if they aren't any external circumstances that get in the way. I go to both marathons regardless of the lineup. I want to see both marathons continue.

Last edited by willcail on Sun May 15, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:12 am 

LA has already expressed his (incorrect :wink: ) opinion about Buckaroo Banzai and his (mostly correct) displeasure with an abundance of recent movies clogging up the lineup. But in his defense, I think his brushing off of War of the Worlds and Planet of the Vampires has more to do with their recent appearances in Boston.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:03 am 

The Boston marathon and the Columbus one are two different marathons. It's true that if a movie that plays at the Boston marathon have a chance to play here. He doesn't get it that they have to get the proper rights to screen movies, and to make sure that the print is available. Why track down an 16mm projector? I don't want to sit through 16mm movies all night long. I rather sit through incorrect framing of a video projected movie than 16mm. 16mm is great for tv and movies to be transfer later to DVD or BLU RAY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:49 am 
Site Admin

willcail wrote:
He doesn't get it that they have to get the proper rights to screen movies, and to make sure that the print is available. Why track down an 16mm projector? I don't want to sit through 16mm movies all night long. I rather sit through incorrect framing of a video projected movie than 16mm. 16mm is great for tv and movies to be transfer later to DVD or BLU RAY.

Actually, L.A. does get it...in spades. He's one of the driving forces behind hunting down repertory titles for the Boston Marathon, most of them on film. I may disagree with him about his premiere philosophy, but please don't let this devolve into name calling when you don't know the man. If you want to argue with him in this way, take it the PMs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:01 am 

willcail wrote:
The Boston marathon and the Columbus one are two different marathons. It's true that if a movie that plays at the Boston marathon have a chance to play here. He doesn't get it that they have to get the proper rights to screen movies, and to make sure that the print is available. Why track down an 16mm projector? I don't want to sit through 16mm movies all night long. I rather sit through incorrect framing of a video projected movie than 16mm. 16mm is great for tv and movies to be transfer later to DVD or BLU RAY.

?

We don't show 16mm in Boston either. Nor, do we show more 'grey market' rights-challenged prints than Ohio.

Look, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. Over the years many of my leads to film prints that have shown in Boston have also appeared in Ohio. I am proud of that, and I hope you have enjoyed having them. Of course, Bruce Bartoo has contributed mightily to both the Ohio and Boston events.

As a Marathoner since....gulp....1979, I have seen lots of changes over the years. I've never been a big fan of showing an abundance of very recent or brand new films. One or two overlooked items, plus a couple of recent favorites is a good punctuation mark to a solid lineup - but, they shouldn't be the foundation of the schedule.

A festival is another animal, and L.A. seems to have one festival or another just about every week. I fully understand that Boston and Columbus are different cities with different film viewing opportunities - and, L.A. is in a whole other category altogether. While I do occasionally enjoy seeing a movie "before my friends", I guess I just never had the gene that makes me HAVE to see 'em first. In L.A. when a movie is touted as a "premiere" - it most likely is a genuine one! Still, I don't spend my movie-going time rushing out and tracking them down at any cost. If I did, I wouldn't have time to see many new films playing in theaters, let alone going to the several reperatory houses that show older classics on the big screen to this day (not to mention home viewing).

To me, the Marathon experience is about seeing older films that you have either never seen before or would like to experience again on the big screen with 300 of your closest friends. Newer or "premiere" films are just the spice. TROLL HUNTER and PEOPLE VS. G.L. may end up being pretty good films. But, I can see TROLL on TV right now, or drive a couple of blocks and see PEOPLE VS GL in a theater today - I just don't feel compelled to fly 2000 miles to see them next weekend (not to mention some of the other "premieres" which are on DVD). I'd MUCH MUCH rather see a rare print of something like FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER as Bruce so wonderously provided to both Boston and Ohio. MUCH MUCH rather!!

Last edited by L.A. Connection on Sun May 15, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:00 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
willcail wrote:

?

We don't show 16mm in Boston either. Nor, do we show more 'grey market' prints than Ohio.

Look, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. Over the years many of my leads to film prints that have shown in Boston have also appeared in Ohio. I am proud of that, and I hope you have enjoyed having them. Of course, Bruce Bartoo has contributed mightily to both the Ohio and Boston events.

As a Marathoner since....gulp....1979, I have seen lots of changes over the years. I've never been a big fan of showing an abundance of very recent or brand new films. One or two overlooked items, plus a couple of recent favorites is a good punctuation mark to a solid lineup - but, they shouldn't be the foundation of the schedule.

A festival is another animal, and L.A. seems to have one festival or another just about every week. I fully understand that Boston and Columbus are different cities with different film viewing opportunities - and, L.A. is in a whole other category altogether. While I do occasionally enjoy seeing a movie "before my friends", I guess I just never had the gene that makes me HAVE to see 'em first. In L.A. when a movie is touted as a "premiere" - it most likely is a genuine one! Still, I don't spend my movie-going time rushing out and tracking them down at any cost. If I did, I wouldn't have time to see many new films playing in theaters, let alone going to the several reperatory houses that show older classics on the big screen to this day (not to mention home viewing).

To me, the Marathon experience is about seeing older films that you have either never seen before or would like to experience again on the big screen with 300 of your closest friends. Newer or "premiere" films are just the spice. TROLL HUNTER and PEOPLE VS. G.L. may end up being pretty good films. But, I can see TROLL on TV right now, or drive a couple of blocks and see PEOPLE VS GL in a theater today - I just don't feel compelled to fly 2000 miles to see them next weekend (not to mention some of the other "premieres" which are on DVD). I'd MUCH MUCH rather see a rare print of something like FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER as Bruce so wonderously provided to both Boston and Ohio. MUCH MUCH rather!!

1. There's nothing wrong with screening 16mm prints of films that were shot in 1.33:1 ratio anyway like most older films. Also a 16mm print of Dawn of the Dead didn't get any complaints I know of. And when we've had access to 16mm, we've also had more classics from the 20s, 30s, and 40s, which I think is nice.

2. Why would anyone actively prefer inproperly framed video to anything?!!! Those comments about 16mm vs. bad video projection make no sense.

3. I totally understand LA's reasoning for not wanting to come out this year. When you live out of town, it's a lot harder to justify the trip and time off work, etc... for a lineup that you aren't thrilled by. I'm lucky that I'm only a 6 hour drive away and have family to stay with. I freelance and couldn't make it last year due to work. But last year's lineup was not appealing to me anyway and if gas was $4.50 a gallon then, I definitely wouldn't have gone even if I didn't have to work. Gas at $3.00 would've had me on the fence and maybe I would've gone just because I love teh experience so much. I'm sure there are marathons with lineups LA would have easily bought a plane ticket for if he was able to-this just isn't one of them. I'd love to go to Boston some year, but I have yet to see a lineup that would make me pay $200+ for a plane ticket plus a hotel room. But one day I hope they have that lineup that makes it worthwhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:23 am 

Having just watched the trailer for The People vs. George Lucas I must beg the powers that be NOT to play this film. I STRONGLY oppose documentaries playing at the marathons! They're called science-FICTION marathons. And this movie looks like watching a conversation we've all had a hundred times and most of us will have at some point during intermission. This title offers NOTHING but filler for the marathon. Please replace it with ANYTHING. An hour and a half of trailers would be much more welcome than this. Please reconsider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:26 am 
Site Admin

L.A. Connection wrote:
To me, the Marathon experience is about seeing older films that you have either never seen before or would like to experience again on the big screen with 300 of your closest friends.

To be fair (and bear in mind that I myself am not a fan of a premiere-heavy lineup), several of the "premieres" this year (and in fact in the past) are not likely destined to have a wide theatrical release ... and I too consider the opportunity to see things on the big screen with an audience extremely important.

Cargo is one good example from this year. At this point I don't expect the film to get any screen time in the Columbus area. I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. Troll Hunter is only just now beginning to see theatrical opportunities, and that may or may not pan out to be an easy find in the future. Endhiran has been notoriously difficult to track down around here.

So, while I do get what you're saying (and agree), I can be somewhat more forgiving when I know that many of these films will never see a widespread distribution. Some are definitely worth the cinema experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:53 am 

IMO that 16mm looks terrible on a theater screen that as design for 35mm prints. 16mm movies projected on a screen that was design for 35mm looks small, and the audio is terrible. I didn't hear complaints when I sell the Dead was video projected at the wrong aspect ratio at the horrorthon.

Niche movies have a better chance of a theatrical run in NY and or LA. Here in Columbus niche movies usually don't make it to theaters. People vs G.L. IMO only to appeal to die hard SW fans. Here in Columbus a proper theatrical run of People may not work. The same for Lunaopolis, and for Cargo. Endhiran was released in Cleveland last year, and Troll Hunter is suppose to be going to be screen at the Gateway.

I do apologize and appreciate you trying to get films. Since I don't go out to see movies every week these days (just bought a new gaming PC for Duke Nukem Forever) having the lineup with premieres I worth the ticket price.

Now for the film schedule please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:48 pm 

I'm a little scared of The People vs George Lucas. It sounds like just a bunch of fanboys whining about things they didn't like about Star Wars over the past decade.

I love Star Wars. I've enjoyed most of the new material, but there are some obvious problems that everyone knows about and have been discussed ad nauseum. I have no idea how entertaining this movie as a whole is, but on the face of it, I'm not looking forward to spending an hour and a half sitting there listening to people bitch about Greedo shooting first, midichlorians, Jar Jar, etc. We've all complained about that enough already and have moved on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next