The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:38 pm 

WooHOO!! Let's hear it for variety!! Marathon is looking better and better!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:06 pm 

willcail wrote:
Just finished reading the official FB page of SF 28 they posted a new film title Revenant. It is a zombie film. So here is the current breakdown:

2 horror 1 romantic comedy, 1 Bollywood musical, and 6 straight science fiction movies. 60 percent of the lineup is straight scifi. Or 70 per cent if you include the Bollywood musical.

?

Isn't this the "official FB page of SF 28": http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ohio- ... 5090473787

I don't see any mention of THE REVANANT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:15 pm 

willcail wrote:
I want to see this movie, just concern about the runtime.

I just. Check my email and according to the SF 28 email from the powers at be they are looking to get one or two more films. Just get one more IMO. Due to the most recent years when the marathon(s) tend to get behind in the schedule.

This is a silly argument that you keep bringing up. When it comes to feature films in marathons, I say the more the merrier. The lineup is just fine the way it is, but there is no reason to be concerned that more films would be "too much." "More" should always be welcome and desired.

If a more exciting booking becomes available, it would be quite silly to turn it down because the marathon is "full." Something can always be cancelled. But here's an even better argument:

1. A recent informal poll declared SF24 in 2007 as the best marathon of the recent era. That marathon had twelve features and a thirteenth scheduled which was cancelled due to lack of a print and not because of runtime.

2. My very first marathon, and still one of my favorites, had 11 features including Dune, Metropolis, and A Clockwork Orange, all of which are substatially more lengthy than the average film, and there was also a guest.

So this notion that nine features is enough is quite silly. It may be plenty, but there is room for plenty more. The assumption that the marathon is always running late is also an exaggeration. Besides, I'll stay as long as the theater will have me. I couldn't care less if we spill over past noon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:46 pm 

Revenant sounds like it would be a good addition. People seem to have had a pretty positive reaction towards it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:53 pm 

IamJacksUserID is, per usual, quite persuasive here. In Boston, we typically Average 11-13 features at the marathon - average! Sure, we don't get nearly as many cool trailers and shorts that Bruce contributes, but, we still manage to fit them in.
In Boston, we do go over the 24 hours at times, but so what? And, yes, we do sometimes overbook the event and shorts and break times get sacrificed. But, on the whole - the more the merrier.
Points in favor of more films:
-- Each and every film brings with it the potential of attracting new persons to the event. And, amongs the newbies, each and every film has the potential of being that "one movie" that makes them a life-long marathoner.
-- Prints don't show up, or get cancelled at the last minute. The more you have, the less the impact of losing one.
-- With only 9 films, that means if even 3 movies aren't your cup of tea (or just turn out very disappointing), that's a full 1/3 of the Marathon wasted, IMHOP.

And, finally, where is the REVANANT announcement????????

IamJacksUserID wrote:
willcail wrote:
I want to see this movie, just concern about the runtime.

I just. Check my email and according to the SF 28 email from the powers at be they are looking to get one or two more films. Just get one more IMO. Due to the most recent years when the marathon(s) tend to get behind in the schedule.

This is a silly argument that you keep bringing up. When it comes to feature films in marathons, I say the more the merrier. The lineup is just fine the way it is, but there is no reason to be concerned that more films would be "too much." "More" should always be welcome and desired.

If a more exciting booking becomes available, it would be quite silly to turn it down because the marathon is "full." Something can always be cancelled. But here's an even better argument:

1. A recent informal poll declared SF24 in 2007 as the best marathon of the recent era. That marathon had twelve features and a thirteenth scheduled which was cancelled due to lack of a print and not because of runtime.

2. My very first marathon, and still one of my favorites, had 11 features including Dune, Metropolis, and A Clockwork Orange, all of which are substatially more lengthy than the average film, and there was also a guest.

So this notion that nine features is enough is quite silly. It may be plenty, but there is room for plenty more. The assumption that the marathon is always running late is also an exaggeration. Besides, I'll stay as long as the theater will have me. I couldn't care less if we spill over past noon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:42 pm 

The Revenant announcement comes from the Drexel theater FB page and not the SF 28 FB page.

1st annual Shock Around the Clock The masters of Horror episode and Q was canceled due to unforeseen projection issues and falling behind in the schedule.

2nd annual Shock Around the Clock Inferno was canceled due to runtime.

SF24 Slither was canceled to make up for lost time.

You keep forgetting that the Drexel Theater probably needs house 1 by 1pm. This isn't the Grandview where it can go pass 12 noon. There are shorts, trailers, intermissions, unforeseen projection issues, costume contest, ect. If you want more movies then no shorts, no trailers, and intermissions be no longer than 5 to 10 minutes long. The marathon(s) in recent years fall behind in the schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

A few notes:

1. To be fair, the two SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK Marathons are a bit of a skewed sample size by which to judge all Marathons. The 2009 version was held in a theater that was not yet open for regular business. We were the first real screening to be held at the new Grandview, so while the problems that cropped up weren't optimal, there was always the possibility that they might happen.

The case of INFERNO at last year's Horror Marathon was a bit different. While a few unforseen projection problems set the schedule back a bit, we most likely would have played INFERNO if it had been the 35mm print that Criterion had promised us. But when time began to slip a bit halfway through the event, we didn't hesitate much to cut what would have amounted to a DVD screening, especially when we could still try to book the film again for a future Marathon.

2. As noted in a previous thread, the main reason that SLITHER didn't screen at SF24 was not due to time considerations, but because the print never showed up at the theater.

In general (and barring major projection/space time continuum/zombie attack problems), there's always a way to fit 11-13 features into an event. Past Marathons have achieved this by cutting trailer reels, reducing intermissions times, etc. And hey, we could always start running the films at 28 frames per second to make up for lost time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:20 pm 

If you are looking for new contest ideas to spice up the night due to the costume contest being rather uninteresting of late, how about counting the number of F-bombs in The Revenant? Or perhaps some sort of compare and contrast with the number of "Mark!s" in Planet of the Vampires?

I guess this is what it has come to, but with the once again "premiere" heavy lineup, it appears as if there will be yet again a fair amount of video projection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:30 pm 

I'll be very upset if they find away to drop Spaceboy due to runtime. Spaceboy is one of the major reasons I go every year. 10 films is a nice round number. It should stay at 10 and if there are holes in the schedule lineup fill it with sorts. I'll be there around 6:30 AM saturday. It will be a nice way to usher in the end of the world at 6pm. According to Family Radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Admin

L.A. Connection wrote:
Isn't this the "official FB page of SF 28": http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ohio- ... 5090473787

I don't see any mention of THE REVANANT?

This IS the official Facebook page for the Marathon, and http://www.scifimarathon.com (and this Forum) are the official places for announcements concerning the Marathon (this and the new mailing list, which most of you should be getting e-mails from if you signed up at previous marathons.)

From Bruce's mouth to our screens, as soon as Bruce tells us something is official, this is where we post it.

The last I had heard this weekend, there had been some debate among the powers-that-be as to what the final film(s) would be in the lineup. I have not heard OFFICIALLY from Bruce that THE REVENANT is the final choice, although obviously whoever updates the Drexel's facebook seems to think that it is.

Once Bruce lets us know for sure, one way or another, we'll post it here. But yes, THE REVENANT is PROBABLY the last film in the lineup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:45 pm 

Questionable genre aside, THE REVENANT looks like it could be a real gem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:17 am 

Since it is about a week to go will there be a official announcement about the film Revenant?

Or the Drexel FB page is the official announcement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:24 am 

Doesn't really seem to apply to the Sci-Fi marathon, but that is up to the head honchos to decide. I do agree that it looks like it could be fun. . .for the Horror marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:52 pm 

Well the lineup is 60 per cent straight science fiction. Heck Troll Hunter is a horror film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:44 pm 

Per the Drexel's FB page, THE PEOPLE VS. GEORGE LUCAS just added to the line-up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next