The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Date for the Marathon?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:54 am 

Hello Bruce,

Any word on an Official date for this years SCI-FI marathon? I have another event I want to go to on the weekend of March 26th but I have not bought any tickets yet in fear it will conflict with the marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:42 pm 

I also would love to know at least a range of dates being considered...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 am 

Thirded! The natives are beginning to grow restless. End of january is when I really start hitting up the board for newz...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 am 

Maybe if we start a rumor that there is no marathon, he'll have to post a date out of fear of a panic. JK

A date would be nice or at least a finger twitch to let us know that Bruce is alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:56 am 

So excited for this year. Ended up talking my girlfriend into going and dressing up, good times will definitely be had by all.

March 19th or 26th would be awesome dates if it could be done that early cause I'll be out on spring break. Just throwing some suggestions out there, we're definitely making it regardless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:05 am 

I don't think the marathon has ever been that early in the year - but I suppose it's always possible.

In other news, dude, your avatar is positively epilepsy inducing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

AEinhorn wrote:
I don't think the marathon has ever been that early in the year - but I suppose it's always possible.

...except for the 2nd year...and the 3rd year...and the 11th year....and....

http://www.vitruvianzeke.com/Marathonia/Marathonia.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 pm 

One of the perils of not having a set weekend every year, which has plagued this event for years.
If I remember correctly, SF11 was actually on Super Bowl weekend (so how's THAT for early?) It was when we didn't have a theater and the Riffe center was booked solid all spring, except for Easter.
Bruce figured, probably correctly, that Easter would interfere with attendance more than the Super Bowl.
Great lineup that year, by the way. A bit of a horror slant with THE FLY bookends and ALTERED STATES, BAD TASTE, REPO MAN and PREDATOR thrown in the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Great lineup that year, by the way. A bit of a horror slant with THE FLY bookends and ALTERED STATES, BAD TASTE, REPO MAN and PREDATOR thrown in the middle.

I was on the Marathon Committee that year and I was responsible for "Bad Taste" :twisted: wasn't sure how the Sci-fi crowd would respond to it but for the most part everyone seemed to enjoy the over the top Gross out. I was glad Jeff and Bruce took a chance on it. Now if we can just get them to take a chance on "JASON X" :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:32 am 

I wanted to attend last years, but it was just a bad weekend for me. I'm excited to find out this years date and try to attend my first Ohio Sci Fi Marathon <Fingers Crossed>. Sounds like a blast the way everyone here is so passionate about it. Hope to get a date soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:59 pm 

Looking at some old threads, it looks like last year's date was announced on February 1, so hopefully we'll be hearing something soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:55 pm 

Count me among the "hoping to get a date soon" crowd! There is a chance that I might not be able to attend this year, and the less notice we are given, the more that chance goes up! Since I missed last year for this exact reason, I am hoping it doesn't happen again - I've NEVER missed 2 years in a row, and would be very sad if that happened. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:07 am 
Site Admin

Do NOT buy a plane ticket, hire a babysitter or calibrate your interociter based on this extremely iffy info. We're thinking April 9-10 or April 16-17. April 24 is Easter, so that's out. I'd like a definitive answer even more than you. When I know, it'll be posted here and we'll send an email out to the Official Marathoid Mailing List.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:55 am 

Thanks for the latest update, and thanks for all the work you and other folks do to put the marathon together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:37 pm 

Bruce - thanks for the heads-up on tentative dates! I understand those aren't necessarily when it'll end up happening, but nevertheless I'll make sure I'm free those weekends. Don't worry, I won't be booking a flight or anything! :) The issue for me is that I can't be free EVERY weekend, so I have to make commitments on some of them - last year I ended up with a job the weekend of the marathon, and when I found out the date, I couldn't get out of the job. :(

bar2b2 wrote:
When I know, it'll be posted here and we'll send an email out to the Official Marathoid Mailing List.

Oh yea - THIS was the main reason I didn't find out until so late, last year - somehow, I didn't get the mailing list email! Bruce, could you or your cronies check to make sure I'm still on it? Let me know if I need to PM you my email addy (it hasn't changed in 8 years).

And lastly, just so there's no misunderstanding - I do not begrudge anyone the late date announcement last year. I understand, sometimes poop happens that's out of your control. I appreciate everything you do to keep this thing going, Bruce (and everyone else involved, too) - and, I will continue to be a supporter of the marathon, no matter what.