The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is anybody out there?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:13 pm 

I know that Joe put out a pretty detailed note last week about the limbo we're all in. But that was a week ago, and I just wonder if Bruce or Jeff or anyone could give us any news? Mostly I just want to know if there is even going to be a marathon this year. If not, I understand the reasons and I'll be disappointed like everyone else, but I just want to know if it's even happening. If not, it would be nice to hear that on this board. On Friday it will be April and I'm guessing if we haven't heard by then, that we're not going to have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:52 pm 

Don't you think that if they knew for sure that there was going to be no marathon they might...I don't know...POST THAT?

I think they probably would. They know people want to know. They're not going to leave us hanging and just be sitting at home on like June 15th and say "OH CRAP! I FORGOT TO TELL THE MARATHONOIDS THERE WASN'T GOING TO BE A MARATHON THIS YEAR!!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:56 pm 

Yep, as soon as they know, I'm sure they'll tell us.

Rest assured, you're not alone in being anxious about the marathon announcement. We're all eager to hear that it'll actually happen this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:15 pm 

They could very easily being hoping to have a marathon right now, just to find out they aren't. It just seems odd that there haven't been any announcements, or reassurances from the powers that be yet. I know that most people would rather do anything other than break bad news to people. I would gladly settle for a "we know you're all anxious. We're working hard to find a new venue/work with the new owners/new date but don't worry you'll hear something soon," but right now we're in limbo. With this late in the game and still no date, it doesn't bode well for booking prints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm ... I suddenly have Pink Floyd lyrics going through my head.

We feel your pain, brother, believe me.

Dangling pointer reference ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:26 pm 

I think the purpose of Joe's post last week was to encourage us to contact the Drexel theater directly with our concerns because they don't pay attention to this forum. Bruce certainly listens, and pokes his head up once in a while, and uses this website as a means of communication. But he is completely at the mercy of the theater when it comes to planning a date for the marathon, and without a date, you can't really do anything.

Perhaps a simple phone call might do the trick...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

I've been expecting to have an official date any day now... for about ten weeks. At this point we're looking at May 14-15 or May 21-22. May 8 is Mothers Day and Memorial Day weekend is Marcon and Cinevent as well as the holiday, so those are out.

It's certainly bad timing with the transition of Drexel ownership occurring just when Sci-Fi 28's planning was about to kick into gear. I wish I had some sense of what's in store for us this year, but all that I've heard is that they'd like to continue the theatre's traditions, which is at least a positive sign.

When there is news, it'll be posted here and we'll get some emails out to the Marathoid Mailing List.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:49 pm 

bar2b2 wrote:
May 14-15
Friday the 13th weekend

bar2b2 wrote:
May 21-22
Rock on the Range weekend

How about May 28th weekend??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 pm 

I'm not sure I quite get your point here, Tim. Any weekend is going to conflict with something - or even possibly many somethings. We can't hope to avoid all of them. The best we can do is avoid conflict with the ones that there is going to be a large overlap of the Marathoid crowd.

Making people choose between Marcon/Cinevent and the Marathon is going to be bad for both events. Similarly, making people choose between the Marathon and Mother's Day is a catastrophe in the making.

Rock on the Range? Ok, some people might have to choose. But I'm betting the overlap is less than 5%. As for Friday the 13th Weekend, is there a specific event you're referring to, or just the fact that it's the weekend of Friday the 13th?

Personally, I'm already looking at a tough choice if the Marathon is the 14th. That's the Columbus Race For the Cure, and I've spent the past three months doing Couch-to-5K to be ready to make that my first 5K run. I'm already figuring I'll go run, then come to the marathon. It just means I'll miss out on my tradition of getting there at stupid o'clock in the morning.

But I certainly don't expect Bruce to plan the marathon around my silly desire to run. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:00 pm 

I don't expect anything!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:07 pm 

Congratulations on making the commitment to The Race for the Cure. It was my first 5K run as well a few years back. Now I do it every year. It is a lot of fun. I will also have to high-tail it if I want to get home, shower, change and make it to the theater on time. But it is a great cause and it won't impact my marathon attendence all that much. It will be a great way to reward yourself for your hard work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:18 pm 

where can i find more info on Race for the Cure? to late for this year but I have been looking for a reason to get off the couch and this sounds like fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:19 pm 

Thanks for the update Bruce. Sounds like planning for the marathon is delivering extra fun this year. Lucky you!

May 14 would be ideal for me. May 21st would be a little rougher, but I think I'd still be able to make it.

Regardless, thanks for all your efforts, and good luck getting this darn thing planned. Lets hope it happens sometime before the horror marathon in October.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 pm 

http://ww5.komen.org/FindAnEvent.aspx

You don't have to run, you can walk or go at your own pace. And you stil have almost two months to train if you want to run. But what matters is that you participate and support the cause. Good luck! Hope to see you there.

If anyone is interested in doing this, join team Perez. It is run by a guy who's sister died of Breast Cancer and he has made this his lifelong cause. Really great guy. And he makes team shirts, so you get an extra one for joining his team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:34 pm 

Sadly, I can't join his team. I'm going to be running with Abbott's team, since they're my place of employ, and my wife's. (And by registering through them, Abbott eats part of the cost).

I'm not too worried about the race keeping me from the marathon itself - the race begins at 8:00, so that's plenty of time to run and still get home, shower, and get to the Drexel. I'll just be missing out on being part of the "You got here how early?" crowd.

And that's if the marathon is race weekend. It may be the 21st.