The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 am 

I liked THE GREEN SLIME and I think if a (Holy Grail) 35MM print was ever found the marathon going crowd would love it. It would probably still go over well if it was DVD projected but would lose some of the "OMG WE FINALLY FOUND A 35MM PRINT" energy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Jaws3dfan wrote:
I liked THE GREEN SLIME and I think if a (Holy Grail) 35MM print was ever found the marathon going crowd would love it. It would probably still go over well if it was DVD projected but would lose some of the "OMG WE FINALLY FOUND A 35MM PRINT" energy.

For the record, I'm a big fan of The Green Slime, too. Definitely falls in the category of "Amusingly Bad" as far as far as late-60's schtick goes. Italian and American influences piped through decidedly Japanese production facilities. Well worth it.

BUT, it's a film that really has to be watched widescreen ... it frames down to pan-and-scan horribly. The Warner Classics remaster is extremely good, it might suffice, but I'd really vote to show in 35mm if at all possible.

There's lots of stuff that COULD show on DVD, but there's always lots MORE that deserves to show that actually does have 35mm prints available. It's hard to pick a DVD release of one over a 35mm of another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 pm 

Since Turner Classic Movies does show movies in its proper OAR, I can't wait to watch it this weekend. It can't be bad as Hard Rock Zombies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Super is set to open for at least a one week regular run at the Gateway Theater on April 29th. If the Marathon was six months from now, it might be worth including in the lineup, but as is it's probably too close to the general release to gun for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
Super is set to open for at least a one week regular run at the Gateway Theater on April 29th. If the Marathon was six months from now, it might be worth including in the lineup, but as is it's probably too close to the general release to gun for.

Yeah, if only there were some sort of marathon 6 months from now... you know, like the middle of October or something? That would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:15 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

Yeah, if only there were some sort of marathon 6 months from now... you know, like the middle of October or something? That would be great!

Because, you know, when I think Horror, I think "Rainn Wilson in a cheaply made superhero costume"....

Actually, that does sound pretty horrific. Never mind. Objection rescinded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 pm 

A dilemma, watch Super on demand on April 16 or wait until April 29th to watch it at the Gateway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
IamJacksUserID wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

Because, you know, when I think Horror, I think "Rainn Wilson in a cheaply made superhero costume"....

Actually, that does sound pretty horrific. Never mind. Objection rescinded.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I finally caught Super over the weekend, and it is not easy to categorize by any stretch of the imagination. It is absolutely not SciFi, but with the insanely brutal violence and twisted, nihilistic sensibilities, one could easily argue that it is a horror film. It would not be too out of place at a Horror marathon, though it would not be traditionally thought of as such. In any case, it comes highly recommended.

Then again, if this movie were easier to categorize, it would not be quite as good as it is. Oh, and by the way, do NOT read Roger Ebert's review before you have seen the movie. Not only is he completely wrong, but he also uncharacteristically gives away crucial plot details.