The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

If you think this uncertainty about when the Marathon will actually take place each year is problematic, join the club. I'm not eager to repeat the mistake of SF19 when the most prominent image on the flier was Maria, the robot from METROPOLIS, (and welcome to the Ohio Sci-Fi Marathon Hall of Fame to her!) only to have the booking fall through. AARRGGHHH!!!

Last year I floated the idea of the third Saturday in March as a permanent date. For all the positive things about that date, it conflicts with an annual convention which Jeff attends and it's also still a bit too close to the Academy Awards for which the Arena Grand has been host to the official Academy shindig. So rather than try to avoid the Easter holiday altogether, the next best choice seems to be the 2nd Saturday in April. Except for 2009, there'd be no conflict with Easter Sundays again until 2020. We could push 2009 to one week later and have a date that everyone could plan on well in advance.

I understand that there's a major gaming convention in town this time of year. How would that or any other alternate activities weigh on your marathonability? What conflicts would that date present for you? Does it sound viable? Please post your thoughts and ramblings on this here. I'm hoping we can reach a decision on this once and for all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

The biggest game con I know of in Columbus is probably Origins, which is typically right around July 4th (weekend before, or after, or on). CapCon is a consideration (as might be the OSU RenFest, which usually shares a weekend), and Marcon as well, but both of those are typically in May sometime.

There's a miniatures convention out east I regularly attend in March that SOMETIMES wanders into April. That's about the only thing that might keep me from attending. For the most part April is the "safest" month, and the second week is early enough that most people I know would find it workable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:10 pm 

Anything predictable works fine for me! Will this date ever conflict with Daylight Savings weekend? Also, while we are on the subject, Bruce, how confident are you that the Gateway will be our permanent home for years to come?

A bit off the subject: Will there be anything extra special for the 25th anniversary. I mean this is great, the marathons started 20 years ago, even though this is only the 19th one but it is the 23rd annual and in 5 years will we have an anniversary or will it be 6 years and will it be the 25th annual or will it be the 28th or will we go back and make it the 13th and then....

Never mind, I'm getting a headache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:19 pm 

As someone who goes to the Boston Marathon (and I know there are some that try to attend both), I'd like as much time between the two as possible. Maybe...hope, hope...wish, wish....we could revive the old Schlock Around The Clock COLUMBUS DAY weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:17 am 

Quote:
Will this date ever conflict with Daylight Savings weekend?

Honestly, I don't think it matters. Last year's marathon was Daylight Savings night, and it really made no difference whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:30 pm 

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think it matters. Last year's marathon was Daylight Savings night, and it really made no difference whatsoever.

I agree it's not that big of a deal, but there's something psychological about exiting the theater at 1:30PM on Sunday that kinda screwed with me. I was also concerned with the theater availability considering the Gateway is more mainstream than the Grandview and would probably lose another screen time on that Sunday for a "normal" movie.

Besides, GRAVITY was lost in the timewarp last year. I wouldn't want that to happen again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:46 pm 

The reason I like mid to late April is because of the weather. I really don't enjoy the cold. Waiting for the doors to open on Saturday morning can be brutal. (Remember the surprise snow storm last year? Yikes!) At any rate, I think mid to late April is a good choice because of the unlikelyhood of freezing temps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:19 am 

I am in the tiny vocal minority of one ( I think) that likes the time change weekend and moving the start time to 11 am. However, with the time change move to March that might conflict with ShoWest.

The date Bruce mentioned is fine, any kind of fixed date, as long as it isn't Easter is fine. Actually for us, this years date works out well, because the wfie and kid are coming wwith me on Good Friday and staying for the week. Actualy I am flying back to DC the evening of Easter Sunday and returning to Columbus on Thursday night. This is similar to what I do in October for the Horror marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:08 pm 

OK! I finally got on the new forum. Thanks for the help.

Back to the subject of this thread: I like April for the marathon. Not too cold and not conflicting with May events (Mothers Day, wedding anniversary, MotorCity Comiccon, Marcon). Whether or not it is on time change weekend makes no difference to me. How about 3rd weekend of April unless that falls on Easter, and then 4th weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:10 pm 

Not so fast, Terry. Wedding anniversary is in September.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:54 pm 

Mine conflicts with the Motor City Comicon every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:49 am 

Since there is a smaller selection this year alot of people may duck out for the anime convention out on Dublin Granville Road this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:41 am 

I don't know anything about the comic-con, but with our marathon running 24 hours it seems that people could really attend both. So don't let your lame friends try to pull that excuse on you. The love is at the marathon. Overpriced autographs are at the convention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:51 am 

Autographs are overrated, the dealers room is were I spend my money.

Also people can just go to the convention on Friday, which is what I plan on doing, it technically starts Thursday, but that's more of a preview day and not everything is set up yet. So there is no reason to miss any of the thon at all, unless a film is playing that you really dislike and are looking for an excuse to step out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm 

I always like to hear that this event is alive and well. I have a request, Bruce, that you please talk during one of the intermissions this year about the future of the marathon. How confident are you that the Gateway will be our new home? Is the permanent date possible? Addressing this to the crowd would I'm sure help attendance. Speaking of which, is there any update on how attendance is shaping up this year?