The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:25 pm 

Elisabeth Sladen, known to many DOCTOR WHO fans as Sarah Jane Smith, died today at the age of 63.

Unbeknownst to many, Sladen had been battling cancer, right up through filming Series 5 of THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, which was set to air later this year. (As they did not complete the series, it is unknown whether or not they will air the episodes that were completed. I hope that they do.)

As Sarah Jane, Sladen was considered the favorite of the Doctor's companions by many, and her return in 2006's "School Reunion" is seen as a highlight of that series by a great many fans - and that in no way suggests that the rest of that season was weak!

Sadly, as Ms. Sladen's resume is almost entirely television, and her sci-fi roles are mainly restricted to Doctor Who, I'm unsure if there is any way that we could pay tribute to her this year. But regardless, hers is a passing that will be felt.

"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much
as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship...
Everything has its time. And everything ends."
- Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith), "Doctor Who - School Reunion" 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:46 pm 

It would be great if we could watch The Time Warrior or The Stolen Earth and Journey's End. That would cover her first and last episodes, the latter two being the two parts of a single story. If the legalities can be handled and real media isn't necessary*, I can provide them. I have a complete Doctor Who collection. I don't expect this to happen because of the legalities and because both are about two hours, but it would be nice. The Time Warrior would be especially nice since we also lost Nicholas Courtney recently. Jeremy Bulloch, the original Boba Fett, was also in it.

*For the record, The Time Warrior has only been released on DVD in region 2, so a bootleg is all that is available.

Edit: Of course, I'm not offering to provide the more recent episodes. That would be piracy. I only condone piracy when the content provider offers no legal way to access the content, as in the older episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:29 pm 

If there will some sort of tribute of Elisabeth Sladen it should be limited to videos that are available in the US. Last week I watched her final adventure with the Doctor. That would be The Death of the Doctor witch is the final televised adventure of Sarah Jane and the 11th Doctor.

How about The 5 Doctors or the Stolen Earth/ Journey's End?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Pardon the phrasing, but that sucks. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:24 am 

They tagged Saturday's Doctor Who with a rememberance for her. It was a shot of her walking away, waving goodbye. It was nice, but sad.

RIP, Sarah Jane Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

I have to admit, this was devastating news when I first heard it last week. Still breaks my heart. :(