The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:47 am 

Except I think that was the point - it was a very nihilistic message. The Big Secret is something so bad, so terrible that it can't be endured. The old woman wasn't happy to go to death, knowing what was beyond - she was simply so devastated that even this life was no longer worth enduring.

No hero, no justice, and probably nothing beyond.

Not an acceptable ending? I disagree. An unsatisfying one, sure. And unacceptable in that I don't want to live in that world. But it resonated with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 am 

I can say that Hostel have a story and a plot as well. Movies like Hostel, Hostel II, Martyrs and other modern worthless torture films. Heck the Saw franchise have a better story than Martyrs. After I watched. Martyrs for the final time last year IMO the so called story is non existing. Hostel II so called story is slightly better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:34 am 

I wouldn't be mad, but I'd be disappointed to see a slot wasted on a movie that is basically just one long gross out moment. There are so many good movies out there waiting to be seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 am 

You know, as much as i like the human centipede, its not worth watching at the marathon,

but whats with all the hate on Martyrs, it was brutal, bloody, and crazy at the same time. Its funny because they are going to make an american version just like they do with all foreign films. I bet they will be making a High Tension remake soon enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:46 am 

OMG South Park was freakin' hysterical "Humancentipad"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:27 pm 

AEinhorn wrote:
Except I think that was the point - it was a very nihilistic message. The Big Secret is something so bad, so terrible that it can't be endured. The old woman wasn't happy to go to death, knowing what was beyond - she was simply so devastated that even this life was no longer worth enduring.

No hero, no justice, and probably nothing beyond.

That's your interpretation.

Let me offer another interpretation - but, bear in mind, I'm not actually asserting that the following IS the point/message of the film. I'm only pointing out that there are multiple possible interpretations, and one person's subjective experience does not necessarily express the full truth of a film like Martyrs. That is why films like this are so divisive - and, in my opinion, interesting.

Anyway - perhaps The Big Secret was something SO beautiful and compelling, about what lies beyond this life, that the old woman just couldn't WAIT to go there. I mean, if the "mission" of this secret organization was to create people who could speak with God, and they actually succeeded with Anna - then Anna spoke with God, and learned what waits for us in the afterlife. And, she shared the secret of Heaven with the old woman. Perhaps, knowing what bliss is waiting for us after death, is too much for any human to resist.

Perhaps Martyrs is, in fact, the most positive, faith-affirming film ever made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:48 am 

Oh, absolutely my interpretation is simply my opinion - hence why I started it with "I think that was the point." :)

And I can see your interpretation, but I think the Old Woman's final line makes it a lot less plausible. "Pray you'll go on doubting" can be seen as a challenge - i.e. "Do you have the courage to do what I'm about to do?" but it reads to me as despair.

It just seemed like *everything* she did after learning the secret was the act of someone with no hope at all. If the Big Secret suggested that there was something beautiful after this world, I would have expected at least one little moment of excitement, or joy, or satisfaction, and I didn't see that anywhere.

Mind you, I agree with you. The fact that there is this kind of debate about the film (and honestly, my friends and I had the same debate as soon as the film ended), is exactly the reason I'm glad I saw it once.

Once.