The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: homepage
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:45 pm 

Great new design on the homepage. Hope everything pictured plays this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:44 am 

It was announce on the Drexel Theater website as well. It is 100 per cent happening. (Unless there is some sort of catastrophic event.)

Now for the ticket price.

www.drexel.net/beta/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=59

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:05 am 

WAR
OF
THE
FREAKING
WORLDS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:54 am 

As a veteran of the Science Fiction and Horror marathons it wouldn't surprise me that the following will happen:

1. The 35mm print show up.
2. The print will shipped on the wrong date or be canceled at the last minute.
3. The film can will be label War of the Worlds (1953) but it will be the Tom Cruise version.
4. The Tom Cruise version outright.
5 A BLU RAY or DVD copy of the Asylum version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:43 pm 

willcail wrote:
As a veteran of the Science Fiction and Horror marathons it wouldn't surprise me that the following will happen:

3. The film can will be label War of the Worlds (1953) but it will be the Tom Cruise version.

A beautiful print played Chicago in 2009. So it's not impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

It ran with a pretty good 35mm print at SF10, in 1996.

To my knowledge, only the 1953 print is being considered, so #4 isn't happening, but there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:54 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
willcail wrote:

A beautiful print played Chicago in 2009. So it's not impossible.

It's not impossible (I used to bullseye womprats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters).

I think this was an ill-informed attempt at levity. Some people seem to have this wild misconception that a ton of things go awry all the time every year during the booking process.

There have been a handful of very successful marathons that have included originals along with remakes and/or sequels in the same lineup. However, I don't think anyone would care to see the Spielberg version in any lineup. Another Cruise/Spielberg collaboration I would support, however, is the underrated Minority Report. I caugt it on cable a couple days ago and it holds up well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:26 pm 

Hey Moon was supposed to screen last year in its place a poor 35mm copy of Blade Runner was the replacement.

The various times Slither didn't showed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

willcail wrote:
The various times Slither didn't showed up.

Hey now, Slither was only M.I.A. for SF24 at the Gateway. The print showed up at the Grandview for last year's Horror Marathon, but when we acquired Robogeisha at the last second, it was shelved. Some day...

Also, a fairly nice print of the 1953 War of the Worlds played at Boston's SF33 in 2008, so it should (emphasis on should) still be available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 pm 

Yeah, that's kinda my point. There's this notion that things are "always" screwed up based on a handful of unrelated complications. I'd say there's no evidence of any kind of pattern that would make one assume failure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

See here for a recent related conversation about film cancellations. JacksUserID is right, though, in that there have been relatively few cancellations due to shipping screw-ups in the event's history. In fact, a great deal of cancellations have been due to the Marathon running behind schedule, or a last minute film substitution(such as the aforementioned Robogeisha).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:59 am 

Not all marathons are the same. It is harder to get premiers at the science fiction and horror marathons these days. It might be the reason that the studios-vendors feel that Boston, Chicago, LA, have a bigger base of science fiction and horror fans and the studios-vendors might think that movie X will play better in those cities than in Columbus.

I would like to see Super at this year's SF28 but most likely I have to watch it ON Demand on April 16. Like I did with Hobo with a Shotgun last weekend. I'm not blaming Bruce but the vendors who wouldn't send a print .

Then again that there was people who post on this message board that Logan's Run will never makes an appearance at the science fiction marathon and it did. If Logan's Run makes an appearance I hope Jason X will make it this year. Same goes for The Green Slime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:25 am 

willcail wrote:
I hope Jason X will make it this year. Same goes for The Green Slime.

No, you really don't. The only thing about The Green Slime that's worth seeing is the theme music, and we get that in the trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:29 am 

Well this weekend The Green Slime is airing on TCM during their TCM Underground programming block. (The first movie is Galaxy of Terror. ) I set the DVR for TCM HD to record it. It can't be bad as automatons, Paranormal Activity 1, and Monster. A Go Go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 am 

If you hope to see Super at the SciFi marathon, then you are also hoping that it doesn’t make any money. Now hear me out, that is not an insult.

Setting aside the arguments about it’s genre definition (because, let’s face it, just because a guy puts on a costume does not make it Science Fiction), I don’t think the SciFi marathon audience would object to it’s inclusion. It is becoming very well received in the fanboy community. As we all know, this rarely translates to box office success. Just because we love something doesn’t mean everyone else does. Look at recent examples like Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World for proof of that.

However, Super’s artistic merits and categorization are irrelevant. It is currently in limited release and will go wide based on it’s popularity. By May 21st it will have run it’s course, for better or worse. And…if it is a hit then there is no way the marathon will be able to screen it.

For example, two years ago my local genre film festival had a screening of Paranormal Activity scheduled weeks in advance. By the time the festival rolled around, the had been “big timed” by the studio because of it’s unprecedented success and it was cancelled.

Because Super was bought by a distributor and has a theatrical run so close to the marathon, chances are not good that it could show. However, the only slim chance it has is if it is a complete failure.

Besides, we all are well aware that there is no use in booking a James Gunn movie because it will be cancelled anyway, right?