The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:25 pm 

The Human Centipede were to show at the sci-fi marathon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 am 

I wouldn't be mad. But I would probably go find something better to do for a an hour or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:36 am 

Since I already watched the movie, I don't mind at all. The Italian Cannibal films are more graphic than said movie. I Spit Remake was more graphic as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:39 am 

Mad? No.

Do I really have a desire to see it? Not particularly.

Would I sit through it? Depends on what time it plays. It could easily be the contender for the dinner film.

Of course, I'd think it would be a better fit at the Horror marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:03 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
Mad? No.

Do I really have a desire to see it? Not particularly.

Would I sit through it? Depends on what time it plays. It could easily be the contender for the dinner film.

Of course, I'd think it would be a better fit at the Horror marathon.

Ditto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:03 pm 

Since Martyrs played last year at the 2nd annual Shock Around the Clock, Human Centipede is a cakewalk compare to the POS Martyrs. Human Centipede IMO slightly watchable than Martyrs

Then Troll Hunters is a straight horror film, according to IMDB.com. If Troll Hunters going to screen then why not Centipede.

BTW South Park is going to do a parody on the Human Centipede and iPad's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:07 pm 

Eh, I'd actually argue that Troll Hunters should be saved for October too - but I'm willing to bend a bit when it comes to screening a premiere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:12 pm 

willcail wrote:
Then Troll Hunters is a straight horror film, according to IMDB.com. If Troll Hunters going to screen then why not Centipede.

There has always been a fine line between Horror and Sci-Fi and Fantasy also, it looks like Troll Hunters has Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy elements so it can fit in any of the 3 genres.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:51 pm 

Box Office Mojo label Troll Hunters as a creature feature. Since the US release date is June 10 the powers at be IMO that they want to have a proper premiere of sorts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Human Centipede does fall into the mad scientist genre, and its central experiment definitely has a science fiction element to it. And yes, in the past, it seems like horror premieres have had a slightly easier time crossing over into the Sci-Fi Marathon than vice versa (witness the positive reaction to Cemetery Man a.k.a. Dellamorte Dellamore at SF10).

But I don't know that HC has enough repeat value to merit a screening at the Sci-Fi or Horror Marathon. I finally saw this late last year, and boy was I disappointed. I'll echo the sentiment of others in the Horror forum that it's essentially a one trick pony whose level of enjoyment is directly related to your ability to stomach its central conceit. I would've been all for a premiere screening of it a few years back, and I can see the shock value it might've had at early festival bows. But ultimately, it's a poorly made B-film that can never develop much past a big gross out gag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:47 pm 

People who know me are often surprised by my absolute LOATHING of that film. It's not even the misanthropy or the disgustingness of it. Nor is it the cheapness of it. I think it's that it's as soulless as the worst Michael Bay movie. It was a gimmick with nothing to back it up and not even an attempt to make it interesting. It's cheap, cynical, exploitative (and not in a good way) and mean. It just truly fails on every level for me. I might have loved it if a craftsman like Takeshi Miike had made it...and even if I didn't like it, it would've been interesting. I guess the bottom line is that I hate movies like this where I can picture the director/writer/producers sitting in a room and thinking of how they can create the next big cult film. I think a cult film needs to earn it, not be made by a committee of accountants looking to make a quick buck. That movie sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

The Miike comparison is apt. He's quite prolific, so he can be hit and miss, but the best of his films are so genuinely transgressive because they poke multiple holes in cultural taboos, fully commit to gonzo logic or take sicko ideas and continually escalate them throughout the running time. In contrast, Human Centipede is like a child repeating the same stale joke over and over for 90 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:44 pm 

Human Centipede does have a following or at least enough interest for a sequel. Tonight's episode of South Park poke fun at the movie.

Human Centipede is a borderline tasteless sick joke that runs about 20 minutes too long. Now if you really want to talk about socially worthless film then talk about Martyrs. How can anyone defend a movie that shows the systematic torture of a defenseless girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:50 am 

willcail wrote:
Human Centipede is a borderline tasteless sick joke that runs about 20 minutes too long. Now if you really want to talk about socially worthless film then talk about Martyrs. How can anyone defend a movie that shows the systematic torture of a defenseless girl.

Because it actually had a story and a plot. And it left you thinking. Uncomfortable? Sure thing. But it wasn't just "Here, let's watch some torture." There was a reason the organization was doing what it was and the reason wasn't just "Because they enjoy torturing folks."

"Martyrs" is a film that I am very glad I saw once. I never, ever want to see it again. But I feel the same about "Requiem for a Dream" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:01 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
willcail wrote:

Because it actually had a story and a plot. And it left you thinking. Uncomfortable? Sure thing. But it wasn't just "Here, let's watch some torture." There was a reason the organization was doing what it was and the reason wasn't just "Because they enjoy torturing folks."

"Martyrs" is a film that I am very glad I saw once. I never, ever want to see it again. But I feel the same about "Requiem for a Dream" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

Martyrs has what I call "Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning syndrome" about 30 minutes into TCMTB I suddenly realized that since this is a prequel there is no hero in this movie, none of the victims will make it out alive to tell authorities and bring justice to this murderous family. The same goes for Martyrs, not only was there no here and no justice but also the writers wrote themselves into a corner and could not tell the viewers "The Big Secret" that we endoured an hour of torture to find out. So there was no acceptable ending to the movie, and we are left with a very anti-climatic ending.