The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We need more classics!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:10 am 

I think we have a pretty good lineup here so far, but it's hard to really say for sure as there are 4 premieres and rumor has it there's a fifth on the way. That's about half the marathon of absolute unknowns. Normally that wouldn't be too much of an issue, though we don't have many classics in the lineup and there's NOTHING from the 1970s represented here. Anyone else feel the same? I think the best solution is to just get 2 more classic 70s or 80s movies and forget about a questionable 5th premiere. But if something were to go and be replaced, what would you be willing to sacrifice? I'd go with, in order of possible drops:

Endhiran (we can get 2 known classics in place of its 3 hour running time)

Late For Dinner (at first I had no problem with taking a chance on this one, but in light of the rest of the lineup, I think it could be replaced-unless there's a guest attached)

Iron Man (I like this movie but it's another recent release that I'm sure most of us has already seen in the theater)

I'm not necessarily advocating dumping anything, I'd just prefer to get a couple more classics like They Live, Predator, Soylent Green, etc....

Overall I'm very excited about this year and the lineup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:23 am 

I agree that this year's list is way too full of premieres, especially subtitled films. We so far have three subtitled films, one of which is 2 1/2 to 3 hours long. I only hope that they are shown together so I can slip out for a nice long dinner and nap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:21 pm 

Meatfetish, first you criticize the lineup then you are excited about the lineup. You can't have it both ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:28 pm 

Sure you can. You can be excited about the line-up, but still see room for improvement.

I'm excited about X-Men: First Class. But I wish they'd done a better job of integrating continuity between the X-Men films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:33 pm 

IMO X Men First Class is a separate film series. If was apart of the main X Men film series then it should have take place after X Men Origins Wolverine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:59 pm 

Derailment - my point being, you can both be excited about something and see room for improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:03 pm 

willcail wrote:
Meatfetish, first you criticize the lineup then you are excited about the lineup. You can't have it both ways.

Then Will, you can't complain about premieres and then watch one of our Ohio premieres on demand 2 weeks before the marathon!

What I love about this message board is that it allows us all the anticipation, the excitement and the ability to complain and push and nudge the host organisms into creating the best marathon possible. I can't wait for this year's marathon, especially since I missed both Columbus marathons last year. And I think the lineup is probably pretty good-but with almost half the running time devoted to premieres it's hard to say for sure. So yeah, I think it could be improved. You keep advocating not getting more films because of the history of running behind schedule- which I think is lunacy!!!! Book as many films as possible so we have backups if something happens to a print, of halfway through a movie the crowd gets ugly and storms the projection booth to prevent Automatons 2 from playing. Aiming for more films give you the best possible marathon, while aiming for nine movies gets you nine films. If nine films is all we get, then c'est la vie! But if we can squeeze 10 or 11 films-then hallelujah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:40 am 

I kid of course. Just trying to stimulate a conversation. :P