The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:28 am 

The Lost Skeleton movies are great. Own both of them.

It is a week left before SF28 when will the final film to be confirmed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:50 am 

Sci Fi: Fido

Horror: Black Sheep

Guess I'm an animal lover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:54 am 

Can I just say how awesome I find it that, while the picks of other folks aren't the same ones I made, I also find all of the chosen premieres to have been films I'm glad I saw?

It's kind of awesome that, trepidation over the number of premieres this year aside, the history of premieres at the Marathons have yielded a large number of awesome films. To be sure, there's always Automatons or Tetsuo to throw off the batting average, but Bruce and company have assembled some great premieres over the years.

One week and counting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:10 pm 

Call 'em what you like, premiere's, pseudo premiere's, whatever. I have not seen most of them as I am guessing many others have not as well. It is a rare thing anymore for me to have not seen the films booked. Even the premieres as I live in the land of premieres, LA. A good year for me is 3 films. This year it is 6 films I have not seen, plus revenant if that is booked. Unfortunately I can not make it this year.

ENDHIRAN
Are you kidding me! I am dying to see this film. Sure it is on Video, but it is damn hard to find unless you are willing to buy it off the internet. I know Netflix doesn't carry and I am guessing your local video store doesn't either, that is if you even have one. Have you seen the clips on the internet for this movie. It looks bat-shit crazy!

CARGO
This is what the marathon is all about for me - discovering that foriegn gem like Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb or Braindead - or discovering the little Indie film like Primer. Cargo seems like it fits in this category. It could suck...who knows....but it sure seems cool.

TROLL HUNTER
Lots of festival play. Not out in theaters and not on DVD. Nice oppurtunity to see this and you get to see it with "hopefully" a packed house with the greatest audience on earth. Sure it is on VOD, but many new releases get simultaneous VOD releases and theatrical releases. Pay for VOD and see it in your home on your little TV or see it on the big screen with the greatest audience on earth. Hmmmmm....

LUNOPOLIS
I'm actually not that crazy about this one. I would give it a chance though. Definitely would not bail out.

PEOPLE VS GEORGE LUCAS
This is the audience you want to see this with. I can picture people talking about this in the loby afterward and arguing about Star Wars during Breakfast the morning after the marathon.

REVENANT
Again, another one that has hit the festival circuit, but with no real theatrical release. May be your only chance to see this in a theater.

LATE FOR DINNER
Not a premiere, but I bet most have not seen this...including me. This film would never play on its own. I am guessing you will be the only audience to have seen this film in a theater in years and in years to come.

I am jealous that you all get to see these films. I can't believe people are complaining. I do understand about the lack of older films....don't want to get to involved with that topic....I guess I would hope that this is a rare year where there are lots of premieres and newer films and that in the coming years there will be more classics. But man! To go to a marathon where I have not seen over half the lineup and have each film be a surprise....yes, I am sure some will suck....but I am always up for something new.

PS - I will likely contradict myself in later posts.....as normally I hate playing too many new films....just seems this year it happens to be films I have not seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:49 am 

I'm hoping Endhiran doesn't disappoint. With all of the Youtube clips I've watched it looks good but it may fail. Please schedule this movie no later than 2pm.

Cargo is the one I really want to see. Base on the trailer I like the dark settings.

Lunaopolis an independent science fiction thriller. Looks great.

Troll Hunter as I watched this movie on May 6th VOD it is a good not great movie. It works better if this screen at around 9pm. As one of my earlier post that there are some shaky nighttime camera shots in the vain of Cloverfield. Nightvision is used as well.

The People VS George Lucas Like watching SW fanboys bitch about how George Lucas ruined "their" franchise.

Post subject: YES!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:26 pm 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
Joe you forgot NIGHT LIFE starring Scott Grimes and John Astin. This has been a log time favorite premiere of mine especially because it's never seen an official home video release, especially DVD. Would love to see this one make a repeat performance at a future marathon.

Thank you! I've been trying to think of the name of this movie for years! I haven't seen it since it played at the marathon (90'?)

Post subject: Re: YES!
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:36 am 

mneutron wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:
Joe you forgot NIGHT LIFE starring Scott Grimes and John Astin. This has been a log time favorite premiere of mine especially because it's never seen an official home video release, especially DVD. Would love to see this one make a repeat performance at a future marathon.

Thank you! I've been trying to think of the name of this movie for years! I haven't seen it since it played at the marathon (90'?)

You can actually find this title on ioffer.com, I was thinking of picking one up myself because I have given up on an official DVD release.

Also look for this movie under the the alternate title "Grave Misdemeanours"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:55 am 

mneutron wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:

I just bought NIGHT LIFE from ioffer.com I should have it in a few days and I will post a review of the quality here after I watch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 pm 

I got my copy of NIGHT LIFE from ioffer.com yesterday and popped it in to share it with my girlfriend who has never seen it (probably not many people have unless you were at the horror marathon) and it was still as fun and creepy as I remembered but 20 years later it now also has that "80's" look and feel that at the time was normal but now seems charming yet out of date.

Also at the time there were a couple new faces in this movie that went on to be big in the Cult Movie/TV world like Mark Pellegrino and Cheryl Pollak who just 2 years earlier was in "My Best Friend is a Vampire"

As for the quality well it was a little dark and grainy, an obvious VHS dupe and the artwork on the sleeve was ok but not high quality. the DVD menu was very basic, I can (and will) make a much nicer DVD menu for my copy.

So basically it was well worth the 10.00 until an official DVD or (please lord) Blu-ray is released.