The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
You know, all I want is a Pepsi, just one Pepsi.

Ah a fellow Suicidal fan \m/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:13 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
All right, NOW if you want to turn this into a broader discussion about society, you can take it over to the unregulated flame war section of the board. Everybody happy?

Geez, I spend way too much time on this board. :wink:

Na, I am done with the rant. I just realized I had forgotten to take my lexapro for the last few days, I just took it so I should be fine in a few minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:34 pm 

Someone's a member of the Ayn Rand cult. Being selfish is no way to go through life.

If this is the same Aaron who post on this board that Homecoming is a fine film that sums up the last administration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Official Admin. Talk: most of what I've posted (and what some others have posted) is meant to be good natured jabs. If you want to start in on personal/political sniping, take it to PMs or the off-topic forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:49 pm 

willcail wrote:
Being selfish is no way to go through life.

I totally agree, now if you can just convince the oil companies and RIAA that sharing is a good thing the world would be a perfect place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:14 pm 

Alright, I've had enough. I'll see you all at the marathon. This board is becoming lame with all the political/sociological crap talk. This used to be about the Sci-fi marathon. Now it is just about political sniping and whining. Get over it already and stick to issues related to the marathon(s).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hey man, don't give up on the board entirely just because of the discussion in one thread. There's a whole bunch of other discussions going on that don't have a lick to do with the political or sociological implications of sci-fi and horror films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 am 

You see what you do to us, Bruce? It's all your fault. You schedule all these new movies and premieres and all of the sudden we come to the realization that entire decades of our miserable lives have been wasted.

Way to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:45 am 

Marathonoid88 wrote:
Alright, I've had enough. I'll see you all at the marathon. This board is becoming lame with all the political/sociological crap talk. This used to be about the Sci-fi marathon. Now it is just about political sniping and whining. Get over it already and stick to issues related to the marathon(s).

seriously dude, I am done no more politics. Don't want to push anyone away from the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

So since this whole discussion originated with a debate over the definition of premieres, and then expanded into laments and defenses of past premieres, here's the obvious question: what's your favorite premiere in your Marathon-going history and why? Just for kicks, howzabout we go for one in the sci-fi category and one in the horror?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:27 pm 

Wow, that's an almost impossibly hard question.

Of course, part of me wants to be flippant and say "Bread" - and that wouldn't be entirely a lie either.

Going all the way back, I have to give serious contention to both GUYVER and SOCIETY, which aired way back at NotLD 4 in 1991 - both films left a really strong impression on me. And, of course, it almost feels like sacrilege not to say BRAINDEAD (which later became DEAD/ALIVE).

And while I know I'm in the minority, for pure, goofy fun, I really dug LOST SKELETON.

But, I'm a kaiju fan, and "random terrible things happening to innocent people" so I think I'll settle on the following:

Sci-Fi Premiere: GODZILLA: FINAL WARS
Horror Premiere: ILS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:32 pm 

AEinhorn wrote:
And while I know I'm in the minority, for pure, goofy fun, I really dug LOST SKELETON.

I'm with you, my brother! Actually, I'm curious if we actually are in the minority on that one. I think Joe may be the one who's actually in the minority of people who didn't like it, although I totally understand his argument.

As for my personal choices, I can't go against the aforementioned Braindead aka Dead/Alive for obvious reasons. On the SciFi side, I'm trying to remember if the Special Edition of The Abyss was officially a premiere of some sort. None of the "historical documents" indicate as much. If that is not eligible, I'll go with Primer with an honorable mention to The Apple, though that is not a premiere in the traditional sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:36 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
So since this whole discussion originated with a debate over the definition of premieres, and then expanded into laments and defenses of past premieres, here's the obvious question: what's your favorite premiere in your Marathon-going history and why? Just for kicks, howzabout we go for one in the sci-fi category and one in the horror?

I can't pick just one for the Horror marathon because there have been so many great ones however the two that stick out the most for me are:

Brain Dead aka Dead Alive (Drexel North)
    Session 9 (Studio 35)

I have watched both movies countless times and would love to see either on play a marathon in the future.

As for the Sci-fi Marathon I would have to say:

Frequency (Grandview)
MST3K (Marcus Pickerington)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

I think I've mentioned these before, but I'll repeat it here. Both of mine were foreign premieres:

Sci-Fi - Los cronocrímenes (Timecrimes)
Horror - Ils (Them)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:31 pm 

For Sci Fi, I have to agree with Zeke, TimeCrimes was a fantastic film, very original and fun.

For Horror, I am going with Irreversible. Disturbing, original, brilliantly shot, and most importantly, it got everyone talking. Whether they were saying "what an awful film!" and the various reasons therein, or "I loved it!" and its' reasons, or whatever, it got people talking. I LOVE films that provoke conversation!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next