The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:34 pm 

Settle down people. It is just a piece of paper. In this day and age it would be a cost savings not to put out a flyer. Or put a PDF file on the main website. Then if people want to print one flyer or at stack then so be it. IMO the website and FB does a better job these days then a flyer. Majority of marathonoids have some sort of personal net access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:35 pm 

Thanks, Zeke. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:08 am 

Seriously didn't want to go down the same path as last year here. Just was hoping to see a flier. For us out-of-towners, I think the fliers had a special place in our hearts. I couldn't go to last year's horror marathon, but I printed out the flier and would drool with envy everytime I looked at it. The website is great and I wouldn't trade it for a flier, but the fliers are awesome and no matter how often it goes off topic and the point about the website is repeated, it's not going to change the fact that some people love the fliers. I'll never understand the urge people get to tear down things people like instead propping up what they like. There are movies at these marathons that I hate (like Cannibal Holocaust) but I see no point in telling fans of those films how wrong they are for liking them. It's the same thing with this stupid argument about fliers: don't like them, don't pick them up. Like them, then pick one up. Let's seriously close this thread now before someone else repeats themselves-I know I'm tired of repeating myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:43 pm 

Ahhh, I have fond memories of returning home each day from College in February and checking my mailbox anticipating the arrival of the flyer. Sometimes it wouldn't arrive till sometime March, but my anticipation started to swell around the beginning of February. It was like that moment in Christmas Story when Ralphy checks his mailbox looking for the decoder ring from Little Orphan Annie. You know he did the same thing, opening the mailbox everyday with the growing thought that this was gonna be the day!

I would always make copies and leave stacks in the film department at WSU. I would give them to all my friends even though half of them could care less about the event. I would read over them obsessively every night. There is just something special about a tactile piece of paraphernalia. In fact, I first heard about the event from the flyer. Well, it wasn't me exactly, but a friend of mine saw a flyer and brought me along. If it were not for the flyer I would have never discovered the Marathons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:10 pm 

I think flyers would EXTREMELY helpful since only 40% of people have computers. Errors in the past have been only advertising at Laughing Ogre when there are heaps of stores(like Comic Town,Packrat,Half Price,etc.),comic conventions,horror and sci-fi shows every weekend and other offbeat stores(like Used Kids,Magnolia,Thrill Vulture,Buybacks,etc.) to consider putting up flyers. I think flyers would be THE way to make contact with people and get them back to the marathon.