The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:29 am 

Well I'm back in Chicago now and have had time to digest and reflect on the awesomeness that is the annual 24 hour sci-fi marathon. What a great year! Not my favorite of recent marathons but this one was great for surprising me. I'm surprised we played all 11 features and were only 30-40 minutes behind! I'm surprised at how great the projection was overall. There's always going to be a snafu here or there with an event like this, but I can't remember anything major going wrong. So it's time for the movie recap:

War of the Worlds what can you say about this classic other than it was a gorgeous print and I'm glad it was first. I had seen this a couple years ago at the Chicago half marathon so I chose to grab a sandwich in the middle because I didn't want to miss a minute of the next 3 features.

Robot Was the real wildcard of the marathon. It could have been a disaster but it ended up being a total blast. Glad we had the intermission. Thankful that a woman like Aishwarya Rai exists in this world and I could have watched her read a book for 3 hours. Tons of fun and I'm sorry I was ever skeptical.

Cargo I was a little disappointed with this one. It had a good production design but it was so derivative of other, better movies. And it had so many plot holes and narrative threads that went nowhere. I'm glad I saw it, but definitely not my favorite. Also I think it's a great example of video projection just doesn't look even half as good as film. It was so washed out and grainy at times.

Buckaroo Banzai A classic and a blast to see with the marathon audience. My only disappointment is that I had just watched it a few months ago on DVD.

Late For Dinner was a nice surprise. Was it great? No. Was it sci-fi? Barely. But it was was a nice little drama with such likable characters that I really enjoyed it. I heard a few sniffles around me during this one, and I don't think it was allergies.

People Vs. George Lucas was exactly what I feared it to be: almost 2 hours of people bitching and moaning and having the exact same conversations everyone in the theater has had a million times before. There was some fun footage and fan films in it, but i really could've done without this one. I wasn't thinking about trailers, and left for a little over an hour to stretch my legs and have a beer. I though it would be close to over when I returned, but instead I saw the last hour. Please no more docs at a science FICTION marathon. I think even those that enjoyed this would have preferred a classic from the 70s or 80s instead... cough...They...cough...Live...cough.

Lunopolis was a little bit of a letdown. I thought it was a great concept, but should have been better. This was the beginning of my head snapping/falling asleep.

Planet of the Vampires was a gorgeous print and I really wanted to stay awake for this but I just couldn't. I think I fell asleep for about 20 minutes before someone's lawnmower snoring woke me up. I looked over and a guy halfway down my aisle looked like a nuclear bomb wouldn't wake him up. His head kept doing a full 90 degree snap back over the back of his seat and he'd snap his head forward until his chin hit his chest and then right back over his seat again. He's going to need a chiropractor after 20 minutes of that. Back to sleep I went.

Iron Man was great. I hadn't seen that since its release. Helped wake me up a little-not entirely though.

The Giant Gila Monster was better cheese than I thought. Not as good as its incredibly race-tinged trailer: "What is this black menace murdering everyone?"

Troll Hunter Was another highlight of the 'thon for me. A ton of fun. Great way to end it and a future blu-ray purchase for me.

Thanks to Bruce and Jeff and Dave and everyone else who helped organize the marathon.[/b]