The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:13 pm 

Someone has to start it! I guess I'm the only idiot not taking an afternoon nap.

Anyways, I'll share more later, but my initial impression is that this was an EXCELLENT marathon. Perhaps the best I've ever been to. It really helped that the 3-hour behemoth Endhiran was an absolute blast. That was the deal-maker-or-breaker for the whole marathon right there. If you didn't like Endhiran, you probably didn't like the marathon overall as much as I did.

Also, does anyone have the official start and end times? With the early start and the late finish (around 12:45-12:50), I think this was really about a 25 and a half hour marathon!

Thanks Bruce and Jeff and everyone else!!!! I loved it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:32 pm 

Okay, some further thoughts after the long drive back to Indy. All the Rapture trailers in the pre show countdown were amusing. No Nymphoid Barbarians in Dinosaur Hell this year. Again.

As usual, the marathon got behind schedule pretty fast. It seemed like there were some long breaks there at the start. Projection issues or Waiting For Thor issues? Kudos to everybody involved for getting every movie in at the end.

I'm curious: what (if any) trailers did we miss out on at the start of Iron Man, Troll Hunter, etc?

Okay, usually I go down the list of movies in the order they played, but I'm doing it differently this year.

List of movies, by order of favorites:

1. Endhiran - Wow, this was an absolute blast from start to finish. For a three hour movie, it really wasn't bogged down with a lot of slow parts. The first half had a lot of action. But then the action really did get ratcheted up a notch in the second half. Impressive. Three hours of subtitles wasn't too bad for me, and I enjoyed the millions of random jumps over to the english language by the actors throughout the movie. I loved the simple slapstick style of humor that the two lab assistants provided. The simplest humor works best when dealing with a multi-language audience. I have to admit, I even really enjoyed the singing and dancing scenes. The movie wasn't overly filled with them, and the ones that were there were damn entertaining. And frankly, that very first song that was filmed among the sand dunes and blue lagoons was absolutely beautiful. (That particular scene was apparently filmed in Brazil, for anyone wondering.) If they ever make a sequel to this, I'd love to see it at a future marathon. Especially if Aishwarya Rai is in it again. She sure is easy on the eyes.

2. Troll Hunter - Oh boy, I had high hopes for this one for the past month, and it didn't disappoint. Too bad it aired after some folks had already left. It was loads of fun, and Hans was an interesting lead character. One minor complaint might be that the trailer showed most of the trolls. But it was still a highly entertaining movie. Good mix of action and frights and the occasional laughs. As above, if they ever made a sequel, I would love to see it.

3. Iron Man - Great movie. This sucker sure woke me up at 7am. It might've been a good choice for final movie, but at least this way people didn't leave before the after-credits scene. It would be #1 for me if I hadn't already seen it so many times. I'm surprised at the number of folks who haven't seen this. I just saw Thor with a friend a few weeks ago, and after we stayed and watched the after-credits scene there, he mentioned that he's never seen Iron Man. I heard folks at the marathon mention that they'd never seen it before either. I hope some people enjoyed seeing it for the first time.

At this point, let me just stop and mention that around 3am, I said to my friend that this had been an outstanding marathon so far. He agreed that it was excellent. And this was long before Iron man and Troll Hunter even played! So you can bet that I enjoyed most of the following movies too.

4. Cargo - When I hear the term "sci-fi", I picture spaceships and astronauts in my head. (Not that Iron Man, Endhiran, and Troll Hunter aren't sci-fi, I just have a primary love of outer space.) Cargo really satisfied that particular desire at this year's marathon. I thought it was a really solid entry with some good mystery and a good finish, and the whole cargo ship locale was really well-done for a non-big-budget movie.

5. War Of The Worlds - This is one of my favorite old scifi movies. And in fact it probably is my absolute favorite from that era. Ever since I was a little kid, I always thought it was extremely well made. I'm really glad it was the opener, and not shown during sleepy time.

6. Lunopolis - I wonder if this one will get a mixed review from folks here. I liked it, and I thought the filmmakers did a really good job of not having too many "hand held shaky cam" shots. It was obvious that they had a rather ambitious story to tell, and they should be credited for going for it on a small budget. Unfortunately, it felt like there was one segment in the middle that seemed like it was 30 straight minutes of narrative exposition. That really started to drag. How many folks dozed off here?

7. Late For Dinner - I usually enjoy a "man out of time" movie, and this was no exception. I'm really glad the decision was made to show this at a marathon, because I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. I was alittle surprised when the end credits came up, because I felt the story still might have a few places to go, but as it was, it actually ended in a good spot. I'm glad I got to see it, and once again, I'm glad it wasn't shown during sleepy time.

8. Buckaroo Banzai - I have to admit, this movie has never really done it for me, but I'm happy so many other marathoids enjoyed it. And personally, if given the choice, I'm glad I watched it with a marathon audience as opposed to the privacy of my own tv. I'll admit, it was a fun marathon movie.

NR. Planet Of The Vampires - Okay, this one gets a "No Rating" because I think I slept through about a third of it. On the plus side, it appeared to be a GORGEOUS print. The Bryan Singer leather X-Men outfits were great to see again. And a lot of shots did an excellent job of building dramatic tension. Unfortunately, in large part because of many of the slow tension shots, this movie was amazingly slow-moving. It ended at chances I had of staying awake at 5:30 in the morning. That said, I was impressed with what I saw. I'd like a chance to see it some other time.

10. The People Vs George Lucas - Holy crap, that was 2 straight hours of the same damn complaints we've made and heard for the past decade. As I was afraid, there was absolutely nothing new here. Yes, we all know Greedo shooting first sucked. Why couldn't we just leave it at one simple sentence like that instead of dragging it out into a whole movie. We've discussed this enough over the past decade. Let it go. Maybe that's just my problem because I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I've already had all these discussions and complaints and have moved on from them (years ago), so this just felt like an unnecessary rehash to me. One redeeming feature is that the final 20-30 minutes seemed to attempt to offer a balanced POV to some folks who might still be blinded by the rage. If it caused one person to chill out on the Lucas hatred a little, than maybe it was worth it. And I'll admit, some of the random stuff posted throughout was entertaining. I laughed on multiple occasions.

11. The Giant Gila Monster - I slept through about half of this movie. The parts that I was awake for were as "wonderful" as I remembered them to be though. This was definitely a good movie to try to nap to if so inclined.

Overall, once again let me just reiterate that I felt this was an EXCELLENT marathon. The film lineup was awesome, there were no major projection/dvd problems, and none of the breaks were overly long. And the donuts were yummy.

It's going to be tough for the 2012 marathon to live up to this year's standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Alright ... conscious for a few minutes, so I may as well give my opinions on this year's Grand Gathering:

First and foremost, a huge thanks to Bruce, Jeff, all the volunteer staff, and everyone who attended. I have to say, I really have no serious complaints about this year. This one rates really high in my book. The projection quality was very good, many of the prints were in incredible shape, and the audience was generally very well behaved.

I only slept about 20-30 minutes at the tail of Planet of the Vampires, which is unusual for me. Usually I nod off at a couple of points in the wee hours of the morning.

This Marathon was chock-full-of-awesome-sauce by the 4th film, so I knew I was going to enjoy it. In case anyone was wondering, I was the obnoxious bearded gentleman in the blue Yoyodyne bowling shirt - the one who WASN'T Bruce. Our esteemed Mr. Neff had the misfortune of sitting next to me most of the time, if you saw where he was. :)

Here's a quickie film-by-film rundown:

WAR OF THE WORLDS - Ah, yes, the George Pal classic. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the classics, and this one is definitely on the list. This one never grows old for me, so it was a perfect choice for the lead-off.

ENTHIRAN: THE ROBOT - Good gods, I have instant love of this movie! This movie was everything I had expected it to be and more! Utterly surrealist, cringe-inducing, slinky-and-SEXAH Bollywood-style musical numbers punctuated by scenes of pure gonzo robot fun-violence. Brought to us via the monumental ego of SUPER STAR RAJNI!!! The intermission really makes this film more workable, and this was the perfect audience to see it with. I'm glad it played early and that it had such a broad appeal.

CARGO - I confess that I'd actually seen this film previously, so I knew what to expect going into it. I loved it (as I had the first time) for a variety of reasons. Much like "Alien", the film goes a long way toward painting the scale of science fiction and the loneliness of space travel. Far more going on here than initially meets the eye, and the visuals did not disappoint. True, several You Fail Physics moments, but I find that I'm more than willing to forgive by the time it's done.

THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI: ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION - Here's another one I won't deny ... I've been a closet Blue Blaze Irregular since this movie first released in theaters. I remember driving to the Kettering Fox theater in Dayton to see this when I barely had my driver's license and just being floored. This was my first "cult classic", and I fell in love with it instantly. I really can't help it. I feel like it's one of a very few pure masterful examples of a deconstructive satire which can simultaneously be reverential to its genre. W. D. Richter is the king of that, and Banzai captured my imagination and never let go. Apologies to anyone nearby if my memorized-mumbling of the dialog was too obvious.

LATE FOR DINNER - Another confession here, with the first four films being of paramount importance, I had barely gotten out of my seat prior to 10:00, so I missed much of this one in favor of a dinner break. It's a very enjoyable film, to be sure, and I'm very glad that it played ... but hey, Needs Must as the Devil Drives. ;)

THE PEOPLE VS GEORGE LUCAS - Not one I was particularly looking forward to, but (as expected) it seemed to be a crowd favorite. Honestly, I've had my intervention where Star Wars is concerned. If this film had been made five years ago, well, I might still have been in the mood to discuss it - but I've largely moved on at this point. Still, fun enough - and it's packed with fan-made footage, which was great to see on the big screen with an audience.

LUNOPOLIS - Not a favorite. Honestly, shaky-cam "Blair Witch" style offerings aren't high on my list to begin with, and this one just seems to have a storyline which wanders all over the map with no clear goals or logical framework. Really felt like a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" hodgepodge, and it's heavily weighed down by long stretches of exposition. I could have passed on it, but as with all premieres, you never know what you're going to get.

PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES - Man, I love this film, and this print was GORGEOUS. I tried desperately hard to push slumber off till Iron Man, but the film's slower pace and the exposition of Lunopolis just killed me. I think I winked out for about 1/2 hour total. Damn shame, too, since this is a canonical example of Italian art-direction.

IRON MAN - As I say, I wish I'd fallen asleep here instead of during Planet of the Vampires, but that's entirely because I've seen this film rather a lot lately. I really think this is a pretty fine piece of work, far more enjoyable than I had initially expected when I first heard it coming, and I consider it possibly the best film in Marvel's comic line. Somehow all the tumblers just click on this one, and seeing it on the big screen with an audience again is always a treat.

THE GIANT GILA MONSTER - Giant Lizard Cheese. I can't tear this one down, it's a go-to classic, and we were running thin on older films this year anyway. Every bit as cheese-tastic as I'd remembered it, but again I'd seen it very recently. This print also looked to be in really good shape, which made it that much better to see in the theater. :)

TROLL HUNTER - I honestly think I was too tired to give this film a really fair review, but I have to admit I really liked what I saw. Sadly, the pacing was slower than I had hoped and between more shaky-cam footage and trying to concentrate on the subtitles - well, my sleep-deprived brain was kinda hoping it would speed its way along. Still, I think it's a whole heck of a lot of fun, and I'm definitely going to have to revisit this one soon when I'm better rested. I am glad that so many people were willing to stay through to the end for it, I think it's well worth seeing.

Anyway, that's the quick rundown. I'm sure once I've had a bit more sleep I'll provide an addendum. I'll also post details of the Intermission music (for which the projectionists have my heartfelt thanks for being Johnny-on-the-spot this year.)

Right now, though, I think I may need to nuke a pizza and get some more sleep. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:00 pm 

As always, I'm going to just post a link to the write-up I did for my site, which also includes a breakdown of the trailers and shorts that aired this year.

http://www.comicheronews.com/?p=19314

Enjoy! I certainly enjoyed my past 24+ hours with all of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 pm 

Wow, it was a great marathon and I had a wonderful time. Thanks to all the organizers, hosts and staff that made it possible.

A few years ago, SF21, I started taking my daughter with me to the marathons and enjoyed having her with me and bringing a 2nd generation to the marathons. In 2008 my son also attended (he got to see Patricia Neal) but he was pretty young and didn't stay for more than a couple films. This year however, he was there with me for the entire show. He's now 14 years old and a lot more into the movies. Plus, he was already aware of Endhiran: Robot and Trollhunter from being on-line a lot, and was excited to see them. We got there in plenty of time to get good seats and he got to go through his first countdown! And, he made to the end and got his certificate.

I don't want to critique all the films. I enjoyed most of them. With all due respect to the classics (I do love them) I have never been a fan of War of the Worlds and was glad it played first. I enjoyed the premiers; it's always fun to see something you haven't seen before. I missed most of 'Late for Dinner'. That's when my daughter decided she wanted to leave so I had to drive across town to take her home.

Without sounding too lame, I just want to say the marathons are a real treat for me. Day-to-day life can often take a toll on your psyche and getting a weekend or 2 every year to do something like this is pretty special. I will keep looking forward to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:51 pm 

AEinhorn, I always enjoy seeing your trailer lists, as they spark a few memories. It's so easy to forget one or two trailers among the countless we see. Your posts reminded me of two thoughts:

-we didn't lose any movies this year. Everything showed up as scheduled. I was really bummed about missing out on Moon last year. But as you can tell from my above posts, I really loved this year's lineup, so I'm glad nothing was lost.

-I mentioned this to my friend last night when it happened, but did anyone else notice that we got FIVE trailers for 2011 movies at this thon? (Battle LA, Real Steel, Thor, Super 8, and Cowboys & Aliens.) It seems like most recent marathons have only had one or two "current" trailers, if any at all. So I appreciated seeing all the new stuff. (I was really hoping there'd be an Apollo 18 trailer in front of Lunopolis, but I certainly can't complain about the overall number of 2011 trailers.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:15 am 
Site Admin

In response to cleazer's question about what we missed this year, first a few words about trailers and shorts at the Marathon.

Putting the trailer reels together depends on a few things. Most important is that, while some of our previous Marathon venues have had screen maskings that can be reset remotely, at the Drexel that process takes a few minutes. Consequently it's only under extreme circumstances, when certain trailers or shorts must absolutely precede a particular feature, that the trailers and shorts programmed can be a different format (1.37:1, 1.85:1 or Cinemascope 2.35:1) than the feature. With many new releases it's much easier to obtain a 'scope trailer, and, with this year's crazy late date, many more of the summer blockbuster trailers were available. With ENDHIRAN and BUCKAROO BANZAI in 'scope, there was the opportunity to get these new trailers onscreen early. I'd have liked to also include X-MEN: THE FIRST CLASS, TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON, CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER and RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, but none of those were on hand and the schedule was already really tight.

Running out of time, both within the 'Thon's 24 hour framework and the rapidly constricting time funnel of pre-'Thon preparations, the reel for IRON MAN, the 3rd 'scope film in the schedule, wasn't even assembled. It would have included THE GREEN HORNET, THE GREEN LANTERN, FANTASTIC 4 and a couple more in that vein. And since time was so tight, the 3 features on video were obvious choices as places to skip the trailers. THE PEOPLE VERSUS GEORGE LUCAS, on the other hand, screamed out for the STAR WARS/Lucas retrospective.

The only trailers that were actually dropped from the schedule were the 12 minute reel intended to precede TROLL HUNTER:

refreshments at our snack bar
MONSTERS
LEPRECHAUN
TROLL
LEPRECHAUN 2
TROLL IN CENTRAL PARK
leprechaun's pot o' gold concession treasure
JACK BROOKS - MONSTER SLAYER

I'd have argued for keeping it in, but I was watching THE GIANT GILA MONSTER at the time.

With more time in the schedule I'd have liked to include HARDWARE WARS with THE PEOPLE VS GEORGE LUCAS. The End of the World trailer segment could have gone on for about two hours. There are also a few naughty ones that I've been waiting for an appropriate feature to include them with. The CAFE FLESH trailer debacle still resonates. Someday... Maybe it'll be time for another Sci-Fi Trailerthon in a few years.

Post subject: David's Review
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 am 

My favorite movie shown at the marathon was, and I think most people here will agree with me, ROBOT!!! I've never seen a Bollywood movie before, and I've never seen a movie with Ashiwari Rai in it before. It was SOOOO OVER THE TOP. God that movie kicks all kinds of @$$ in all four corners of the MEGAVERSE!! I have never been so tired at a 24 hour marathon before. I slept through three of the films. I fought for hours to stay awake, but I simply could not. I am always disappointed in myself when I sleep during a movie marathon. I feel like I "failed". I followed all of the rules of the Guide To Staying Awake For 24 Hours, but I got tired. How did that happen?? I didn't eat anything until after I got tired and decided "Ah, screw it. I am tired anyway. I might as well eat to see if it will give me energy". To everyone that stayed up at this marathon the full 24 hours, PLEASE tell me how you did it. I WISH I could do that! lol I love the trailer for Inception that was shown, but I wish that it was the full trailer and not the teaser trailer. To see that entire city street turn UPSIDE DOWN....AWESOME! LOL In the first movie shown, "War Of The Worlds", there is a sign that says "Pacific International Scientific Technologies". If you put it into initials, it would be "P.I.S.T."....."PISSED"! LOL The little boy and his dad in "The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai: Across The 8th Dimension" had on armor that looks like the midsection of Cyrax from the video game "Mortal Kombat 3". Did you all notice that Buckaroo Banzai was dressed like Peewee Herman at the very end? Here is some Iron Man trivia: The voice of Tony Stark's computer, Jarvis, is voiced by Paul Bettany, who starred in the movies Creation, Legion and Priest. I overheard someone say that "Cowbys And Aliens" has a slightly racist title"....PRAYTELL how that is racist lol I don't understand why The Drexel Radio Cafe stopped serving food on the menu on the wall. WHY would you stop serving cooked food? I get that they were about to close, but still, that is a surefire way to lose cash paying customers and I don't know why they would do that. My favorite thing there is a cooked item: The Bacon Cheddar Burger. I should have turned and walked away when they didn't have it. I didn't want a dessert. I wanted a BACON CHEDDAR BURGER!! Anywho, this marathon was truly fantastic, but if I may suggest, as I heard someone say to me "We really need another stall" in the men's room. Or at least move the stalls apart so that men aren't standing shoulder to shoulder while they do their business. Thank you SO MUCH to Bruce Bartoo and everyone else involved. I had a fantastic time, as usual. I wouldn't have missed this marathon for THE END OF THE WORLD! (Freddy Krueger laugh) :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:21 pm 

Thanks to Bruce and everyone behind the marathon and everyone at the Drexel. Great marathon.

I found it much easier to stay awake this year. I think that was partly due to the movies chosen and the times they were scheduled.

War of the Worlds Nothing new to be said. Great classic. One of the best scifi movies. I had not seen it on the big screen.

The Robot: I enjoyed all of it. I liked the singing and dancing parts more than the story although the story was good, also. I couldn't really sympathize with either the robot or his creator, but if you watch it like a Hollywood musical ie: the story doesn't really matter, it's the singing and dancing that count, it is more fun.

Cargo: Here the scheduling helped a lot. Early enough in the marathon and between the louder, faster paced Robot and Buckaroo. I liked Cargo.

Buckaroo: I had not seen this. I enjoyed it especially all the well known actors early in their careers.

Late for Dinner: This was my favorite movie of the marathon. The freezing and waking in the future theme has of course been done elsewhere, but it is still a fun idea. I liked all of the characters and enjoyed the story

George Lucas: Sorry, I am a Trekie. Can't really believe people would get excited about Star Wars. Now Original Series v Next Gen on the other hand... OK, just kidding. Everyone has their favorites.

Lunopolis: I got confused about who the villains were, but I still enjoyed it

Planet of the Vampires: This was a little slow, but I enjoyed it too.

Iron Man I had seen this, and didin't expect to to enjoy it again so soon. I was wrong, though. This turned out to be my second favorite movie of the marathon. Exciting. Well placed in the schedule.

Gila Monster: I liked this movie. This time I liked the movie in spite of the singing.

Troll Hunter: Another really good one Suspenseful. It held my interest even though it was Noon.

Thanks again. Great time See you all in October.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am 

My intention is to not do a film by film breakdown, we'll see if I can stick to that. :) I enjoyed all of them. I had seen Bollywood films before, it used to play on one of the Community channels when I lived in DC. I had seen Aishwarya Rai as well, in fact she was 34-36 during the two years of filming. She looks at least ten years younger.

Anyhow, this is one of my favorite marathons of all time. Great selection of movies. Nice pacing, the trailers had some new old stuff, which I love to see and the break music was great as well. I didn't dislike any of the films. I think the worst thing I can say is The People vs George Lucas was a bit long, but I enjoyed it anyhow. In fact I'm trying to remember one bit that was really funny and am drawing a blank. It was <SOME STORY> as retold by George Lucas. Anyone recall this?

I'm with Cleazer on the idea Iron Man might have made a better closer. The only problem with Troll Hunter was my eyes were getting tired for subtitles that late in a marathon. I would have preferred Troll Hunter in Banzai's slot, Banzai in Iron Man's slot and Iron Man at the end. But I know a lot of folks were looking forward to Buckaroo Banzai and it really needed to be in that feature spot. Just an old man complaining of eye strain more than anything.

Projectionists did a great job. The staff at the concession stand and the cafe were great. I was happy to see the aluminum foil survived the marathon mostly unscathed. It seemed like the crowd participation was just about right.

I'm looking forward to next year. I did like the weather for the line, but May is a minefield of family birthdays, tournaments and school stuff, so I hope for an earlier date for next year.

Post subject: from David
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:31 pm 

I realized that I hadn't done a film by film review like some other posters, so I will do this now:

WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953) - I have seen this movie before and I think it is truly awesome. I'm so glad I got to see a War Of The Worlds movie and NOT have to bear the torture of TOM SNOOZE!

ROBOT - This was my FAVORITE movie of the marathon. They should have named the movie "Chitty, Chitty, BANG, BANG!", but that title was taken. :P I love the story just as much as the song and dance numbers. Aishwari Rai is BEAUTIFUL. This movie was SO over the top. I LOVED IT!!!

CARGO - This was a really fantastic movie. Awesome dark scary visuals. Very thrilling.

THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI: ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION - This is clearly one of the most popular if not THE most popular movies at the marathon. I really love it, and if the movie title shown at the very end is a real movie, I'd love to see it too.

LATE FOR DINNER - This was my least favorite movie of the marathon. That is not to say that I don't LIKE it, just to say that every other movie in the marathon had a faster pace. This is the first movie I fell asleep during.

THE PEOPLE VS GEORGE LUCAS - I love this movie. At first, I couldn't understand why anyone would "love/hate" George Lucas, then I learned why. I agree whole heartedly with everything that everyone said. I don't understand how anyone can NOT like Star Wars....TREKKIES! lol

LUNOPOLIS - I fell asleep during this movie and am VERY DISAPPOINTED in myself... Especially since it talked about December 21, 2012. In case none of you have figured it out yet, there's a REASON why I chose the name "David2012". I love anything to do with the 2012 hype.

PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES - This was the third and final film that I slept during. I know very little about this film since I fought a world war inside of my mind to stay awake while it was playing. From what I can tell, it's a great film.

IRON MAN - This is my second favorite movie of the marathon, and I'm one of the 6 people that voted for this on the ballot LOL Another great Marvel movie. Marvel films have FANTASTIC production values, LOTS of action, a VERY FUN movie.

THE GIANT GILA MONSTER - A fun, cheesy 1950's sci fi flick. I fought to stay awake during it, but it was really fun and entertaining.

TROLL HUNTER - I also fought to stay awake during this. It is my third favorite film in the marathon. It is truly AWESOME!!! It looked very lifelike and if there WAS any cgi used, I couldn't tell. It looked VERY REAL. I LOVE "camcorder films", like Cloverfield, Quarantine, ehh.. not so much for The Blair Witch Project. I HATE THAT BORING @$$ MOVIE! WHERE was the Blair Witch? Answer: NOWHERE! lol

If you have read my review, THANK YOU! 8) I hope you enjoyed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:12 pm 

Question for Bruce or Joe or Jeff:

How do you think the May 21 date worked out? Did you lose some ticket sales that otherwise would've happened? Did some folks show up because of the later date?

From my perspective, it seem about as full as the last few marathons at that theater. Perhaps a tiny bit emptier.

Are you definitely going back to March/April next year, or might May happen again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:01 pm 

A few thoughts about the marathon that aren't a part of my recap - which is as much for the readers of my site as it is for the faithful, so some of my personal thoughts don't belong there.

First, as always, I love you guys. I sincerely look forward to the marathon every year, and the experience of being there. The trailers, the films, the hanging with the regular crowd at OMG-thirty-in-the-morning, the chatting with Bruce and Joe in-between films, all of it.

I really liked the line-up, much to my surprise. I expected to be bummed that there weren't more classics, but I really liked the group of films we had.

Second, I was appreciative of the reception I got from my Superman costume, although I really was sad there weren't more people up there to compete against. I miss the days of the epic costume contests.

Finally, regarding the trailers, I was one of the vocal complainers about the Cafe Flesh trailer several years back - and I want to make it clear that I never had a problem with the marathon showing it, or showing any other form of nudity or sexual content. My issue then was only one of time slot, since it hit fairly early in the night. It just seemed like that sort of trailer shouldn't hit before midnight, that was my only complaint. And I worry that Bruce took it to heart - which was not my intent.

I'm all for something like it airing again. Heck, I'm all for the Cafe Flesh trailer airing again. Just after midnight. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

AEinhorn wrote:
I'm all for something like it airing again.

*coughFLESHGORDONcough*

I'm sorry, what,, was that out loud? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:29 pm 

AEinhorn wrote:
I want to make it clear that I never had a problem with the marathon showing it, or showing any other form of nudity or sexual content.

I have NO complaints about the marathon this year however if I was forced to voice a complaint it would the serious lack of nudity or sexual content. Lets face facts nothing get the crowd going like a nice pair of boobs on screen (or in the costume contest)

However atleast this year we had 3 hours of Aishwarya Rai to stare at, she maybe the prettiest woman on earth.

Bruce is probably the only person on this planet that could convince me to watch a 3 hour subtitled movie from India and I thank him for that, Endhiran has made my list of must own movies, to bad it's not on Blu-Ray yet. It's the only movie from the Marathon I have not stopped talking about yet. I wish I would not have missed Troll Hunter but I plan to watch that very soon.