The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:39 am 

I've split this off into its own thread---Joe

I hope they don't book THE REVENANT or any more premieres, 4 is enough..

Endhiran - premiere
Cargo - premiere
Troll Hunter - premiere
Lunopolis - premiere
Iron Man - Recent Release
War of the Worlds - Classic
Planet of the Vampires - Classic
Buckaroo Banzai - Classic
Late For Dinner - Unknown

we need more classics, 3 is not enough!![/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:00 am 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
I hope they don't book THE REVENANT or any more premieres, 4 is enough..

Endhiran - premiere
Cargo - premiere
Troll Hunter - premiere
Lunopolis - premiere
Iron Man - Recent Release
War of the Worlds - Classic
Planet of the Vampires - Classic
Buckaroo Banzai - Classic
Late For Dinner - Unknown

we need more classics, 3 is not enough!!

I agree. Though if we get one more premiere, I'd say either dump Endhiran and replace with 2 classics or at least dump Late For Dinner (or Iron Man) and replace with a bona fide 70's or 80's classic. We don't have anything from the 1970s represented here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 pm 

Another key question is how many of these alleged "Premieres" are on DVD? Personally, I am against DVD except in extreme circumstances.

I see that TROLL HUNTER is on On Demand right now, and will be in a few theaters about a week after the marathon. Not much of an exclusive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:41 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
I see that TROLL HUNTER is on On Demand right now, and will be in a few theaters about a week after the marathon. Not much of an exclusive.

Yeah but I'd far rather pay the $3.40 per movie price for Troll Hunter at the marathon than go see it otherwise.

It's one of the movies I'm most looking forward too this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:27 pm 

Let's not keep looking for and dwelling over perceived faults.
No marathon is going to be perfect for everyone. For me if I have not seen it it is a premiere. I don't care where else it is/was available So for me Planet of the Vampires is a premiere.
I've been looking forward to this since last year. I come to the forum because I'm so excited and impatient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:44 pm 

I don't consider Troll Hunter a premiere since I already watched the movie on May 6th. (BTW 10 dollars isn't that bad since this is a new movie.)

Endhiran isn't really a premiere as well. Since a person can rent or buy the movie on DVD right now.

Right now there are two IMO premieres right now. Cargo and Lunaopolis isn't available ON DEMAND, retail DVD and or Blu Ray.

It's like calling Starship Troopers 2 a world premiere at one of the Arena Grand SF marathon. ST2 debuted on the Scifi channel like a week or two before said marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:29 pm 

Again, another silly semantic argument. For the purposes of the marathon, premiere is defined as "official public theatrical screening." This has been previously discussed numerous times. Although theatrical premieres are a long standing marathon tradition, they simply are not as meaningful as they once were and they never will be again.

Twenty years ago, there was no internet or "on demand" or 3 month DVD release windows. That's just the way it is now. Though the semantics are different, it is still special to be parked in a room with a bunch of people who enjoy the same things you do and watch movies for 24 hours straight.

The other problem with so-called premieres nowadays is simply the overwhelming amount of content has saturated the market. It used to be things were good or bad, there wasn't a whole lot of mediocrity. Mediocre independent movies become forgettable quickly. As an example, I recently had to look up in the archives to remember anything about Ink and Sleep Dealer, both of which "premiered" at the marathon last year. Having already seen Lunopolis, I expect that one will draw the same kind of unmemorable reaction for a lot of folks this year.

Granted, a lot of this debate could be solved with the booking of one or two more classic heavy hitters like War of the Worlds. When half the lineup is an unknown commodity, and on top of that most likely digitally projected, it is cause for a whole lot of skepticism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:57 pm 

What he said! :wink: :wink:

P.S. Although, I think SLEEP DEALER is pretty memorable. Quite a decent indie. Not a "premiere" of course as it had several theatrical runs across the country prior to both Boston and Ohio "premiere" engagements.......

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Again, another silly semantic argument. For the purposes of the marathon, premiere is defined as "official public theatrical screening." This has been previously discussed numerous times. Although theatrical premieres are a long standing marathon tradition, they simply are not as meaningful as they once were and they never will be again.

Twenty years ago, there was no internet or "on demand" or 3 month DVD release windows. That's just the way it is now. Though the semantics are different, it is still special to be parked in a room with a bunch of people who enjoy the same things you do and watch movies for 24 hours straight.

The other problem with so-called premieres nowadays is simply the overwhelming amount of content has saturated the market. It used to be things were good or bad, there wasn't a whole lot of mediocrity. Mediocre independent movies become forgettable quickly. As an example, I recently had to look up in the archives to remember anything about Ink and Sleep Dealer, both of which "premiered" at the marathon last year. Having already seen Lunopolis, I expect that one will draw the same kind of unmemorable reaction for a lot of folks this year.

Granted, a lot of this debate could be solved with the booking of one or two more classic heavy hitters like War of the Worlds. When half the lineup is an unknown commodity, and on top of that most likely digitally projected, it is cause for a whole lot of skepticism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:04 pm 

Then Endhiran still isn't a premiere, since the film already have a public theatrical screening. You didn't say it have to be an American public theatrical screening. Same goes with Troll Hunter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:13 pm 

That's why they advertise them as "Ohio" premeires if they have never played theatrically in Ohio. This is probably more commonplace than California or Massachusetts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 pm 

My standard, which is admittedly more strict than Bruce's (and, though I don't know him, I assume, Jeff's) for a Premiere has always been:

1. Would you book "The Premiere" at the Marathon if were not Brand New?
2. If we were suddenly transported 7 years into the future, would you look back at the films from this current year and say, "Hey, of ALL the movies released 7 years ago, "The Premiere" is the one I'd book!

A strict standard. Of course, I understand the appeal of getting "new" stuff (even if it's been shown on TV already, on DVD and/or been bouncing around the festival circuit and limited theatrical release runs). So, sure, 1 or 2 exceptions should be made. But, after that, you are just reaching for stuff. As IamJacksuserId said, how many so-called "Premieres" are memorable a year or two later, let alone my 7 Years Down The Road Standard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:55 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
My standard, which is admittedly more strict than Bruce's (and, though I don't know him, I assume, Jeff's) for a Premiere has always been:

1. Would you book "The Premiere" at the Marathon if were not Brand New?
2. If we were suddenly transported 7 years into the future, would you look back at the films from this current year and say, "Hey, of ALL the movies released 7 years ago, "The Premiere" is the one I'd book!

A strict standard. Of course, I understand the appeal of getting "new" stuff (even if it's been shown on TV already, on DVD and/or been bouncing around the festival circuit and limited theatrical release runs). So, sure, 1 or 2 exceptions should be made. But, after that, you are just reaching for stuff. As IamJacksuserId said, how many so-called "Premieres" are memorable a year or two later, let alone my 7 Years Down The Road Standard?

What he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:05 am 

www.behindwoods.com/usa-online-movie-ti ... mings.html

Endhiran is not a premiere at all. The movie was screened in Cleveland Ohio on 10/15/2010 at presumably at the Phoenix Theater Eastgate 10. IMO it should be label as a Columbus OH premiere or not a premiere at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Admin

willcail wrote:
Endhiran is not a premiere at all.

To my knowledge, Endhiran has never been listed as a premiere anywhere on our official site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 am 

Meatfetish thinks that Endhiran is a premiere. When it fact it is not.