The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:49 pm 

This weekend, COWBOYS VS ALIENS is clogging up thousands of screens nationwide. Meanwhile, a pair of much smaller SF Films (but, probably more interesting - haven't seen COWBOYS yet) are getting limited releases throughout the country - ANOTHER EARTH and ATTACK THE BLOCK.

ATTACK THE BLOCK is a slambang action comedy from Producer Edgar Wright (SHAUN OF THE DEAD) and first time director Joe Cornish. I went to an early screening a couple of weeks ago and Wright and Cornish were there in full fanboy mode. Both admitted a fondness for 80s films like THE GOONIES, GREMLINS and THE WARRIORS and the influences show here. I didn't think the whole thing really worked in the end, but the crowd ate it up. Be prepared for some really foul language and a lot of knucklehead behavior.

ANOTHER EARTH is waaay on the other end of the spectrum. It's about the discovery of a second 'Earth' that gets closer and closer to us, and as it does, it proves to be something of a mirror image. But, here, Director Mike Cahill and star Brit Marling (who also co-wrote) turn their focus on an ordinary girl on Earth. Think of all those big apocalyptic SF movies like DAY AFTER TOMORROW, ARMAGEDDON or ON THE BEACH etc. They always have some side story or two about average folks caught up in the big disaster and they pass the time between the big Special effects sequences. ANOTHER EARTH is all about the 'pass the time' subplots! Heck, there are NO big Special effects sequences! There will be folks talking back to the movie and saying, "Hey, they just discovered a sister planet to Earth - the greatest discovery EVER - and we're watching a 5 minute scene of a girl washing the dishes!!! WTF!!?"

And, yet, this thoughtful low key film manages to succeed on its own level as a sort of SF chamber piece. It reminded me a bit of films like THE QUIET EARTH and the original Russian SOLARIS. Might be a tough sell to the Marathon audience, but is worth seeking out either way.[/b]

Last edited by L.A. Connection on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:44 pm 

Is there a new trend of non science fiction films that tries to pass as science fiction? I saw the review of Another Earth on At the Movies and it looked aimless and dull. I wouldn't be surprise if the movie gets added to next year's science fiction marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:47 pm 

willcail wrote:
Is there a new trend of non science fiction films that tries to pass as science fiction? I saw the review of Another Earth on At the Movies and it looked aimless and dull. I wouldn't be surprise if the movie gets added to next year's science fiction marathon.

Well, to be fair, there is a long history of "straight" movies that use the conventions of other genres to tell their story. Heck, the entire TWILIGHT ZONE TV series was based on using SF, Horror and Fantasy tropes to tell Rod Serling's morality tales.

ANOTHER EARTH certainly doesn't seem too interested in the science of its science fiction, but it's worth catching nonetheless. As to whether it will show up in Boston or Ohio for the marathon, you have to consider that it will be over a year after its Sundance debut (and 8 or 9 months after its theatrical run), so it may not have the
"premiere" vibe that the programmers seem to crave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 pm 

Twilight Zone is a true science fiction unlike Another Earth. I want to see real science fiction not faux sf. Attack of the Block is a true sf movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:09 am 

Well, see for yourselves. ANOTHER EARTH is playing in Ohio starting August 12th - next Friday.

theaters:

COLUMBUS, OH
Lennox Town Center, Columbus, OH

CLEVELAND, OH
Cedar Lee 6, Cleveland Heights, OH

official website:

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/anotherearth/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:21 am 

bump....

ANOTHER EARTH opens Today in Ohio!

COLUMBUS, OH
Lennox Town Center, Columbus, OH

CLEVELAND, OH
Cedar Lee 6, Cleveland Heights, OH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:50 pm 

...bump, forgot about this thread.

Saw Attack the Block this weekend. Believe! the hype. Check out my thoughts HERE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:29 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
...bump, forgot about this thread.

Saw Attack the Block this weekend. Believe! the hype. Check out my thoughts HERE.

Don't believe the hype!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:10 am 

Since I've a rule that I'll only go to movie theaters that are locally owned, I'll have to wait to see Another Earth on optical disc. The locally owned movie theaters passed on Another Earth. That tells me it isn't a good movie. Hope Apollo 18 fare better.