The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:05 pm 

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/william-shatner-blasts-star-wars-as-special-effects_1246330

William Shatner has risked incurring the wrath of Star Wars fans by claiming the legendary sci-fi franchise is simply "special effects" In a video posted on his YouTube page, Shatner suggested George Lucas' creation was derivative of Star Trek, of which he starred in the original series and six feature films.

Discussing both shows with his daughter Lisabeth, Shatner argued his show had "relationships and conflict.and philosophical questions", whereas Star Wars was simply the work of visual effects company Industrial Light & Magic. The actor, who played James T. Kirk in Star Trek, explained, "Star Wars was special effects.Star Wars was derivative of Star Trek by 10.15.20 years.derivative!", adding, "There's a big difference between Star Wars and Star Trek". Later in the video, William suggests Star Trek could be on the verge of a resurgence with 'Lost' creator Jj Abrams at the helm of the franchise, saying, "With JJ Abram pouring on the special effects.I would say there's a resurgence of Star Trek in a big movie frame that supersedes Star Wars".

Shatner has often spoken of his desire to appear in future Star Trek projects, although American actor Chris Pine played Captain Kirk in the 2009 hit movie. Pine is likely to reprise the role for a planned sequel - expected to be released in 2012.

Seem like a good time for Sci-Fi Geek Discussion:

Which do you prefer, Star Wars or Star Trek?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:01 pm 

OK I can't resist. I agree with everything Shatner said. I am a big fsn of Trek, some series (TOS and DS9) more than others (the others), and some movies (II, III, IV, VI, VIII and 2009) more than others.

However I have always thought Trek was superior in every way to Star Wars. I have never been able to stay awake during a Star Wars movie at a theater. We're not talking marathons here.

To each his own, but I side with Trek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:17 pm 

As a Doctor Who fan, I find these Star Wars vs Star Trek debates funny.

As a Doctor Who fan that I can find faults in both series. The prequel trilogy of SW is deeply flawed. The prequel trilogy is special effects wrap around bad storytelling. The Clone Wars animated series did a better job than the four prequel films.

The worst of Star Trek is Next Generation. Seven years of watching paint dry. C SPAN is more entertaining that TNG. Enterprise is a better Trek series than TNG. Best Trek series in my opinion TOS/TAS is the best, then DS9, then Voyager, then Enterprise, and lastly TNG.

To paraphase Kevin Smith J.J Abrams make Star Trek watchable.

I do hope the post Voyager TV series will make it to television.