The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:11 pm 

Well, this really depends on when the marathon is held, but here are a few films I can think of:

Puzzlehead - This is playing in Boston, so fellow scouts who attend can probably give us the scoop on this film.

Host - Will probably hit theaters before the marathon, but this Korean giant monster film is getting lots of attention. It seems quirky and funny. From what I hear, it's brilliance is in it's characters. If it doesn't hit the big screen before the marathon, this would make an AWESOME premiere.

Sunshine - Danny Boyle's latest. This to will probably play before the marathon. It is due out March 16th, but I am not sure how wide the release will be. This too is a must if it hasn't went wide by the time of the marathon.

Day Watch - This isn't due until August. I doubt the Drexel will be able to get this, but if they did, WOW! If they were able to get it, I'd say play both, Night Watch and Day Watch back to back.

Southland Tales - As Mr. E suggested Richard Kelly's (Donnie Darko) new film about a heatwave that hits los angeles in 2008 would be a good score. I am not sure how "sci-fi" it will be, but it is set in the future AND it is not due to hit theaters until April. Perfect timing...assuming it doesn't go wide before the marathon.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Anyone else have suggestions, comments, ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:20 pm 

As far as I know, the date's pretty solid. As long as we are shooting for the stars with a wide release premeire, a couple genre films are releasing in April. These are NEXT and THE INVISIBLE. There's also 28 WEEKS LATER in May.
Of course, I think I suggested some months back that SPIDER MAN 3 would be the ultimate premeire, it's only 3 weeks out. :D
(I think if they scored Spidey, not only would I poop myself, but I would have a hard time attending future marathons for fear of a letdown.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:29 pm 

^That would be amazing, but has something like that ever happened before, is there a precedent for it? I suppose there's a first time for everything though.

Quote:
Host - Will probably hit theaters before the marathon, but this Korean giant monster film is getting lots of attention. It seems quirky and funny. From what I hear, it's brilliance is in it's characters. If it doesn't hit the big screen before the marathon, this would make an AWESOME premiere.

This is actually coming to the Gateway theater March 23rd, check out the thread I made in the 'Where was the kaboom' forum to learn about the movie, see trailers and a listing of every U.S. theater that will be showing it in the next few months. And I agree, it would indeed make a fine addition. 8)

As for me, gotta stick to my guns, 'CASSHERN' all the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:41 pm 

Of course there's no precedent. One can always dream...
The two biggest premeires I can think of off the top of my head were I COME IN PEACE and FREQUENCY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:05 pm 

I just noticed that Danny Boyle's (28 Days Later) latest movie, Sunshine was pushed to December. I'm not sure why, because it is playing in other countries in April. Unfortunately, I am fearing the worst - that it is being reedited. Does anyone have any information?

My point is maybe this could be snatched up as a premiere. There are prints, but rather we can get our hands on one...who knows. I'd do the happy dance if this showed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:18 pm 

Hmmm....after researching a bit, it seems the film has been pushed twice. Who knows what the actual release date will be in the US. IMDB list the film being released in dozens of other countries in April. Apparently it is being release in the UK in April, so why are the American studios reediting? Here is a link:

http://www.filmrot.com/articles/news/007758.php