The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How solid is the date?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:51 pm 

I made my annual web-trek to Drexel-land in search of the elusive marathon date only to find, miracle of miracles, it was actually listed on the marathon website! It seems too good to be true. Is it for real? Can schedule the dogs for the kennel? Buy plane tickets? Write it on my calendar in ink?

Granted I usually don't fly, but with this amount of notice, I might try to see if there's any deals.

So what's up with the date? Should I believe it or should I wait for it to show up in the The World Watch Wire for it to be official.

Long Live Space Boy!

Rob E.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:39 am 

Bruce mentioned it last year. He said it was still the date during the horrorthon. However, my impression was he didn't seem confident enough to say folks could book tickets. Hopefully he will swing by soon and say for sure. Not as much of an issue for me now that I am back from exile, but I do have to know with some notice for on-call.

Not sure where you are coming in from, but I found good deal on Southwest, when I used to fly in.

I wish the Drexel, on their upcoming events or news, would just list it as a blurb so we knew for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:49 am 

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten that the date was proposed way back when. I guess I'll wait for a more solid announcement before I start making plans. It'd be nice if they could firm up that weekend, though. For the last couple of years they announced the date right after the cut-off for my wife to get time off of work.

I believe I've found decent fares on Southwest, too, so I'll keep an eye out once we have a date. I'm coming from Raleigh, and most years I drive, but if I can find a deal, I wouldn't mind flying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:06 am 
Site Admin

I spoke with Jeff last week, and April 14-15 is still the date we're going with. Pencil it in. I'll see if we can laser-etch it in titanium in the next week or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:48 am 
Site Admin

I spoke with Jeff last week, and April 14-15 is still the date we're going with. Pencil it in. I'll see if we can laser-etch it in titanium in the next week or so.

Post subject: WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:55 pm 

Wow! If we can get it etched in titanium, I might actually make the marathon this year! I haven't been to the Columbus marathon in about 5 years! Wow! I'm gonna get a tatoo! "Columbus Sci-fi Marathon '07 (April 14th-15th). Born to disintegrate!"

Please, seriously, let me know when the date is set and I will look into booking my flight.

I haven't even been to marathon in over 2 years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:45 am 

One thing I think I can safely say is the marathon won't be at the Grand.

Arena Grand expansion planned

Thursday, January 18, 2007
Mike Pramik
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Arena Grand Theatre is expanding and turning to a different management company to run it.

Columbus Hospitality will operate what by April will be an 11-screen theater across from Nationwide Arena. It will replace Drexel Theatres Group, which has operated the Arena Grand since its opening in 2001.

Nationwide Realty Investors, which owns the Arena Grand, plans to pump $1 million into the development, including three new theaters. A 60-seat theater will replace retail space that most recently housed a Ben & Jerry’s shop. Two 48-seat theaters will be located in a building at 155 W. Nationwide Blvd.

In addition, Nationwide will add about 3,000 square feet of retail space along Nationwide Boulevard and a 500-square-foot meeting area inside the theater building.

Drexel Theatres will continue to operate the Arena Grand until the end of January. Then, Columbus Hospitality will take over as construction begins.

Nationwide Realty President Brian Ellis said the expansion is in response to recent competition that hurt attendance in 2006. Two theaters opened in central Ohio in 2005: the 18-screen Rave Motion Pictures at Polaris and the eight-screen Drexel Gateway.

Adding theaters, Ellis said, will help because the Arena Grand can show the most-popular movies on multiple screens.

"If someone wants an 8 o’clock movie now, and we’re showing it only at 7:30, they can probably find some other venue," he said.

Ellis said bringing Columbus Hospitality on board was an easy choice. The company manages four Nationwide Realty-owned properties at or near the Arena District: the Crowne Plaza Hotel; the Lofts hotel; Max & Erma’s restaurant; and the Arena District Athletic Club.

Columbus Hospitality President Charles Lagarce said he wants to position the Arena Grand as a "more entertaining movie-going experience."

In addition to showing popular movies on multiple screens, that means generating more corporate and group business. The theater already has meeting space on its top floor.

Lagarce said the current managers of the theater will remain in place. Still, there could be a new feel to the place.

Through its 25 years in the business, Drexel Theatres has become known for independent movies, foreign flicks and lowbudget titles. It also operates the Drexel in Bexley, the Drexel Grandview and Drexel Gateway.

Drexel Theatres President Jeff Frank said the Arena Grand was successful, citing several design and customer-satisfaction awards.

"This is an amicable decision by both parties," Frank said. "We certainly learned a lot running the theater for five years, learning the commercial side of the movie business."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:41 pm 

Interesting, can't wait to see it when they're finished. Sad to see the B&J's go though, for me that and the hot dogs were a part of the Arena Grand marathon experience. Oh well, we've still got a Coldstone Creamery right across from the Gateway. Sure, you can't bring anything in, but that doesn't mean you can't step out for a quick snack now and then. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:40 pm 

Since we are not able to gripe about the lack of a date announcement this year, how about this:

Hey, when are you all going to change the Main page so it says "Join us THIS year" and then add last year to the history page?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Last year's is already on the History page, Jen just hasn't gotten around to putting an update on the main page to include it in the table-of-contents.

http://www.scifimarathon.com/History.html#SF23

As soon as the plans for the marathon have congealed a bit more, I'm sure we'll get an update up ASAP :).