The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP another Marathoid
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:39 am 

On August 12, we lost longtime Marathoid Tim Stonerock. He died at home of heart failure at age 59. Tim and I began our marathon journey at SF2 and over the years have only missed a couple. If you remember seeing a very large bearded man wearing a bright Hawaiian shirt, it was probably him.

Tim and I had met by chance at a Grateful Dead concert in 1986. In addition to a shared interest in music, we found we both had a great interest in movies. Even before we discovered the marathons, there were many Saturday nights spent at his place watching movies until the wee hours of Sunday morning. Whenever we watched an old movie that had been released on video or dvd, he could go into great detail of how and when he'd seen it at a drive-in or on television when he was a kid.

The marathons though were really special to us and it seemed like every winter we'd start looking forward to spring and spending a night at the theater. And, we always had some unusual thing happen that we'd laugh about for weeks after.

A few years ago, for the first time I brought one of my children to the marathon. Tim thought that was so great, that somehow we were bringing in a new generation. To my kids, Tim was dad's cool friend and he would often give them dvd's as gifts.

RIP marathon vet Tim Stonerock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:19 pm 

:( this is very sad. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:59 am 
Site Admin

The Columbus Marathons have been happening for so long that many of us feel like they have become an integral part of our very being, grafted into our DNA like the fly to Seth Brundle. What we often forget is how this monumental progression and passing of time carries with it the growing chance of losing some of our own. And when this loss happens, it often resonates even deeper because of that shared sense of community that the Marathon genetic recombination has given to us. I can count several longtime Marathoids who've passed on over the years, most of whom I never knew well enough to count as more than acquaintances, but all of whom shared a communal love of this cinematic thing of ours with me.

Here's to the memory of Tim Stonerock. Even though he's gone, he'll always be a part of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:23 am 

Sad to hear this. Tim, we as a marathon family will never be the same. Maybe we could pass out stickers that say TS for everyone to wear in Tim's memory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:25 am 

My condolences for the loss of your friend. It is funny for many of us we see the same folks year after year, we may not always have a name for the face, but we know the familiar faces.