The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Well, I for one actually liked Lost Skeleton...it was a little long in spots (as many parodies can be) but overall I did enjoy it. Most of the people around me that year seemed to enjoy it as well and were talking about hunting down the DVD. But then again, I also enjoyed Top of the Food Chain/Invasion! which I don't think many liked...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:52 am 

I thought Lost Skeleton was pretty darn funny.
Was it perfect? No.
Were there a number of parts that made me laugh? Yes.

Thumbs up in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:18 pm 

Lost Skeleton was really good, I enjoyed it alot but than I liked Don't Ask Don't Tell and I know I am in the minority with that one but if you don't take it seriously it's a fun movie but Lost Skeleton was way better!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:02 pm 

I thought that LOST SKELETON was really funny and clever, though had kind of worn out its welcome by the end. Had it been 45 minutes to an hour, I think it would have been classic. Still, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:04 pm 

Thanks to everyone for their support of SKELETON. I didn't think I was the only one. :wink:
For those who didn't like it, it doesn't mean you are wrong. Different strokes as they say. I mean, come on, if you look at the ratings, apparently a whole lot of people think
Two and a Half Men is funny. :roll:

WolfNC17 wrote:

And I wish Mel Brooks would come back and make movies again!

After ROBIN HOOD, you seriously want him to try again?
While we're on the subject, SPACEBALLS would be an enjoyable marathon movie.

Post subject: cheez whiz
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:48 pm 

I get what you're saying. My only problem is with people who can't differentiate between PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE and say, SPACE CHILDREN or LAST MAN ON EARTH and mock ALL THREE equally just because they are low budget B movies. From reading this site and talking to some Ohio attendees, I gather the same problem can exist there as well as in Boston.

And, if you don't like "bad movies", you may be in for some pain this year! KING DINOSAUR? FRANKENSTEIN - SPACE MONSTER? GALAXY OF TERROR? CHOPPING MALL? FLASH GORDON! Even SLITHER can't be considered much more than a fun cheese flick! That's at least 4 or 5 "bad" movies by any reasonable standard! Of course, me love my bad movies BIG time! 8) 8)

WolfNC17 wrote:
Well, I understand where you're coming from LA. For the record, I never consider myself "above" any movie. I give everything a chance. But for me, a bad movie is a bad movie. Just because something is 50 years old doesn't necessarily make it good. And just because other people find it "funny" doesn't make it good either. If you have a genuine affection for those movies, that's fine. It just doesn't work for me. I love GOOD '50's sci-fi like Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, etc. But watching a bad movie for the sake of its badness does nothing for me. I don't necessarily think that makes me "snarky". I always hope that I will enjoy every movie I see. I know there are people who go to the marathons just to mock the films, but I'm not that kind of person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:16 am 

Well, there's a huge difference between a bad movie and a Bad Movie. Films like PLAN 9 and CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC are Bad Movies in that they are enjoyable because of the things that they get wrong. A bad movie is dull. There's nothing about it that is entertaining. At least typically with a Bad Movie, a great effort has been made to make a good movie but somewhere along the way, the production fails in a spectacular manner. Films like ROAD HOGS are just bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:25 am 

The way I see it, a bad movie is one that does not achieve what it sets out to do. For example, a comedy is bad if it is not funny. A thriller is bad if it is not suspenseful or thrilling. Of course there are varying degrees of badness. Generally I consider a movie "bad" if 1) it is incompetently made, to the point that it detracts from the effect it is trying to achieve; or 2) it does not make me care what is happening to the characters on screen or believe what is going on. The former is usually due to technical considerations, such as bad directing, editing and cinematography; the latter is generally due to bad writing and/or acting.

This is why a supposed "bad movie classic" like Plan 9 From Outer Space does nothing for me, because it fails on both levels. It's funny for about 5 minutes, and then it just bores me to death. I consider it a waste of time to sit through something like that. Conversely, I don't consider a film like Slither to be "bad" in any way. It achieves exactly what it sets out to do: it is funny, scary, gross and disgusting, and that is what they were aiming for. It is more than competently made, and well written and acted. It is what it's supposed to be. Some critics don't like it simply because they don't like that kind of movie. This is misguided criticism. Not every movie has to be Citizen Kane or Schindler's List. It does, however, have to be competent and compelling, at a bare minimum. A great movie, of course, is much more than that.

Having a low budget is not necessarily a sign of "badness" either. There are many low-budget films that are deserved classics (Night of the Living Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, etc.) They are films that work, that achieve what they set out to do. However, there are many bad low-budget films. There are also many bad big-budget films. Incompetent filmmaking is incompetent filmmaking. My distaste for '50's sci-fi does not include the GOOD films in that genre, such as War of the Worlds, Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, etc. as I've stated. I just don't like the ones that suck, such as Robot Monster and their ilk. There may in fact be low-budget '50's sci-fi films that are good. But I personally have not seen them. So I may have unfairly generalized. I like Last Man on Earth quite a bit. Anything with Vincent Price is cool with me.

You're right, I may be in considerable pain this year. But hopefully there will be films in the lineup that will make it all worth it! I have seen Chopping Mall on cable and, while I wouldn't necessarily consider it "good", it is funny and cheesy and knows exactly what it is and has fun with it. So it's not as painful to sit through as something like Plan 9 for me. I would trade it for Night of the Comet though.

As for Mel Brooks: dude. The man made The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. He's been in movie jail long enough. Anything he came up with would have to be better than most of what passes for comedy these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:57 am 

The Sci-Fithon is meant to be fun. I like the mix of cheesey sci fi with the more serious sci fi flicks. This year there is some sort of Mystery Science Theater 3000 theme going on. With all of the cheesey movies this year. Heck King Dinosuar was feature in episode 210 of MST3K. There should be at least one classic sci fi flick. I am copying my Flash Gordon CD onto my MP3 player.