The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:47 pm 

After watching Another Earth its another Happy Accendents. Micheal Bay have good movies?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 am 

"Another Happy Accidents?" You say that like it's a bad thing...

Any of the Mad Max trilogy would be great for the apocalypse theme. I know Road Warrior showed a few years ago, but I'd certainly be willing to watch it again...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:37 pm 

WolfNC17 wrote:

Any of the Mad Max trilogy would be great for the apocalypse theme. I know Road Warrior showed a few years ago, but I'd certainly be willing to watch it again...

Actually, the Mad Max films should be reserved for 2013 and the "we survived the Apocalypse" theme because there is no actual end of the world during the film, only the aftermath.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 pm 

I know that this will shock everyone, but, I have actually never seen any of the Road Warrior films lol But the good thing about that is, that if they get shown at the Columbus Sci Fi marathon, then I will have the pleasure of seeing them all together at the coolest science fiction event in the multiverse (Yes, I got that word from the sci fi/action film "The One". It just sounds so darn cool! "MULTIverse...) I was standing in line at last year's horror marathon, and I mentioned that if there was ever a remake of "The Road Warrior", it would probably star Hugh Jackman. The reason why I think that, is because what actor comes to mind that, like Mel Gibson, is an Australian actor who is VERY well known for science fiction and action films? Mr. Wolverine himself, HUGH JACKMAN. The people I spoke to about it in line didn't exactly seem opposed to the idea. Just imagine how awesome that would be...Hugh Jackman wearing post apocalyptic threads, kickin' butt in a post 2012 apocalypse.... That idea's so MONEY, I don't even know it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:57 pm 

Another Earth is a pusedo science fiction movie that doesn't go anywhere like Happy Accidents. I don't consider these films to be science fiction lite. Both films uses sicence fiction elements but the main story for Another Earth is about making admends than a alternate earth.

Now if you want a low key indie science fiction go with Primer.

Now I would like to see S.H.E (1985) at the marathon. When will this film get a proper DVD release?

I like The Apple but at the end of that marathon I remember more nay's then yea's. Even when the trailer for The Apple get screened people groaned. Since this could be the "final" science fiction marathon how about track down an 16MM projector for Gravity? Does someone have Gravity on DVD?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
WolfNC17 wrote:

Actually, the Mad Max films should be reserved for 2013 and the "we survived the Apocalypse" theme because there is no actual end of the world during the film, only the aftermath.

So we're only considering films in which the apocalypse is actually shown on screen? I didn't realize that. Kind of limits the choices, but OK.

Supposedly George Miller is working on a new Mad Max film in which the character will be played by Tom Hardy. He's been trying to get this done for years though, so who knows if it will actually happen before the apocalypse comes. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:17 pm 

I have a 16mm projector. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well it works or if it has a lens that would work for a theater, but I could take it in and try it if someone can provide some film and the Drexel staff would let me try. I don't have any films yet. Just a reel of unexposed film that is too long to fit my camera and no reels to break it down yet.

Admittedly, I haven't been following this thread much, but why might this be the last marathon?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:33 pm 

The remark about this being the "last" marathon was a continuation of our tounge-in-cheek assumption that the world is ending this December, nothing more. And I didn't mean to limit our choices for the "end of the world" theme to on screen carnage, I'm merely pointing out the timing is better for "post apocalyptic" films like Mad Max and A Boy and His Dog would be better for 2013.

I vaguely remember this coming up a couple years ago. There are so many classics that fit this category, it's not entirely out of the question, but an entire lineup of it would probably be a bit much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:59 am 

How about another screening of automatons for the "final" science fiction marathon. It have a end of the world vibe to the movie. (Runs away)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:00 pm 

What about Lifeforce? (1985) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeforce_%28film%29
Interstellar Vampires, Nudity - and - Patrick Stewart. Takes itself too seriously but with an odd sort of European sensibility.
Navigator: An Odyssey Across Time, (1988) Nice skewed sense of reality & offbeat premise. A great movie. Here's the Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095709/

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:
What about Lifeforce? (1985)

I have Reel 3 sitting in a can at the Grandview. The only reel to feature a) no real nudity, b) no real action, and c) no real special effects. Would that suffice? :)

pogo wrote:
Navigator: An Odyssey Across Time, (1988)

This, by the way, is a fantastic little gem of a film that went largely overlooked in its day. I remembered seeing this at the Drexel North [insert moment of silence here] and snagged a copy of the extremely limited DVD release when it came around. Terrible transfer, but still a very moving film.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 pm 

I like the post-apocalyptic theme idea. It would get tiresome if every movie was post-apocalyptic, but the last Studio 35 marathon had a zombie theme with about half the lineup about the undead and it was one of the best lineups ever. There's plenty of good end of the world films out there. Idiocracy would be a great comedy to mix things up. I'd hope for no Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich films, but one around dinner time is something I can live with if it must be.

As for Another Earth and Melancholia showing: terrible idea! I liked Melancholia a lot but it is sloooooooooow and long and would go over terribly with this crowd. I haven't seen Another Earth, but I imagine the same thing. We're still debating the sci-fi merits of Happy Accidents, which was a cute, fun, thinking-man's romantic comedy (with sci-fi themes). And it was short and fairly well-paced but for some reason people on this board seem to hate it. Yet they don't seem to complain as much about Late For Dinner for some reason (which I also liked). A 2 and a half hour Danish film about depression is about the best way to kill this event.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:53 am 

Wouldn't mind seeing Lifeforce again. Last time it screened was at one of the sci fi thons at the Arena Grand. How about Hitchhikkers guide to the Galaxy?

How about these

Priest
Vampire Hunter D
2019 The Fall of New York
Turkey Shoot
Robot Jox
Planet of the Apes
Plague

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:17 am 

KidneyPi wrote:
Admittedly, I haven't been following this thread much, but why might this be the last marathon?

It's a joke about all of the end of the world predictions about December 21, 2012. Something really huge was predicted to happen on December 21, 2012 by the Mayans, the Hopi Indians, the Hindus, the Bible code, the I-Ching, the Web-Bot Project, the real life Merlin, The Cybil and probably Nostradamus. There are tons of theories people have as to what exactly will occur on December 21, 2012. Some of the theories are: polar shift, magnetic shift, collision with Planet X a.k.a. Nibiru, spiritual awakening, evolution, new era, new age and the end of the world. What will definitely happen on December 21, 2012 is, the sun will align with the center of our galaxy, where the hidden 13th sign of the zodiac, a super massive black hole and the Dark Rift all are. The Dark Rift is a massive chasm in space with interstellar space dust. Also, the planet Earth will complete its wobble. Both of these events occur every 25,800 years. When the Earth completes its wobble, it will be in an upright position. This is because the Earth is not perfectly round, and because of this, it slightly bulges out at the sides. It spins like a top. TONS AND TONS of movies, television specials and books have been based on 2012. It's a HUGE deal in the new age community.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:07 pm 

I have not been keeping up with this tread but I would like to add (if no one else did) "Jason X" takes place after the apocalypse....Just sayin'

Also "Damnation Alley" would be great for an apocalypse theme and it's never played at the 'thon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next