The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:11 pm 

I would totally love to see either Deep Rising or Piranha 2: The Quickening.

How can you go wrong with a movie that stars Famke Janssen and Treat Williams? (It may not be great, but I always found it to be loads of fun.) Or you could go with Lance Henriksen in a James Cameron movie! Sci-fi fans should eat that stuff up.

If there is a sci-fi marathon in 2012, I've already got a commitment from a new attendee! Gotta grow these marathons one person at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:39 am 

THEY LIVE!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:55 am 

It's never to early for the Science Fiction Marathon wish list. Here are my picks.

Transformers the Movie (animated)
Zardoz
Jason X
Slither
Tron
Tron Legacy
Rock and Rule
Superman II Richard Donner's Cut
Super 8
Starship Troopers
Fantastic Four 1994 version
Heavy Metal
Doctor who and the Daleks
Battle Beyond the Stars
Spaceballs
Fanboys
Helldriver
Moon
Super Mario Brothers for the bad movie selection
Christmas on Mars
Mars Needs Women
Battle Royal
Atlas Shrugged
Another Earth
Star Trek First Contact
Metropolis silent and anime versions
The Terminator
Cyborg
Masters of the Universe
Return to OZ
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978
Robinson Curosoe on Mars

I watched They Lived coupule of weeks ago on Turner Classic Movies. Aired it under the overnight TCM Underground banner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:29 am 

cleazer wrote:
Piranha 2: The Quickening

Starring Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:10 pm 

I still maintain that The Hidden (1987) would make for an awesome marathon film. Even though I haven't seen it in years, my memories of it are still quite vivid. A very underrated little sci-fi/action movie.

As far as Atlas Shrugged goes, I would rather watch A Serbian Film on an endless 24-hour loop. Not even getting into the politics, the word is that it's an absolutely terrible film. But I won't boycott the marathon or anything if it shows... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:24 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
THEY LIVE!!!!
Believe it or not, that was actually going to be the third film I listed (that type of movie is always welcome, and that one in particular is awesome as heck), but I didn't want to turn this into a "list a hundred movies with no comments about them" thread right off the bat. Didn't take long though...

willcail wrote:
It's never to early for the Science Fiction Marathon wish list. Here are my picks.
I am intrigued by your suggestions of Battle Royale and Cyborg. Those would be entertaining.

Gotta agree with WolfNC17 about Atlas Shrugged. It would not be in my top one thousand choices. That said, I've sat through Battlefield Earth twice, so I would certainly sit through Atlas Shrugged too (though I'll bet I'd rather sit through Battlefield Earth a third time). I'm sure it won't be the worst movie I've ever seen. And hey, maybe we can trick Tom Cruise into being a guest next year.

As for The Hidden, I'm not sure that I've ever seen it. Looking at imdb, it doesn't immediately ring a bell (though it may be familiar if I actually watch it). So therefore I think I'm all in favor of that for now. Good suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:22 am 

Atlas Shrugged is my new faveorite comedy. Yes the movie is laughable. It is a joke. But since it is a recient film and it bombed at the box office might be easier to book.

Helldriver watched it on VOD and order the Blu Ray. It's a typical gonzo sci fi-horror flick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:22 am 

Yeah, I don't know that we need another Automatons experience. I know there are some marathons that purposely book terrible films in order to laugh at them, but I think we shouldn't necessarily set that kind of precedent. But I will say that a marathon showing (in which we are encouraged to laugh and make jokes) is the only situation in which I would ever watch Atlas Shrugged. Just as long as no one is taking it seriously...

I just don't think the marathon is an event for political propaganda, whatever side a film happens to be on. I see enough crazy political rants on the Internet (usually accompanying subjects that have nothing to do with politics) that I don't need them invading the marathon too. Of course, if that's what people want to see, then go for it. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:00 pm 

Well there are many movies that screened in marathons past that have a political bent or at least social commentary.

Some examples
Any Romero Films
Robocop
Rollerball

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:56 pm 

True. But there's a difference between social commentary and/or political subtext and outright propaganda. One can watch a Romero zombie film and not even get the political subtext (and many people have), but a propaganda piece like Atlas Shrugged is all about trying to convert the audience to its belief system. I'm not saying such films can't be made or shown, just that I don't think the marathon is the right place for them. Just my opinion.

Again, if they chose to show it, I wouldn't boycott the marathon or complain about it. I can always choose not to watch it. I just think politics has gotten so divisive and ridiculous (to the point where people can turn literally ANYTHING into a political rant, and often do), that it would be nice to have one event that doesn't turn into an us-vs-them rally. As I've said before, the marathon should be a place where we can all come together and enjoy the movies we love. I would hate to see it turn into a place for partisan politics and hate speech. But that's just one man's opinion. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:10 pm 

Wlell a certain news network starts with an F was able to insert politics in The Muppets 2011.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:27 am 

Exactly my point. Aren't we tired of that kind of nonsense? I sure am. I'm sick to death of that kind of craziness. Do we need it at the marathon?

You may already know this, but Atlas Shrugged was financed by a Texas oil billionaire as an attempt to push his own political agenda (which was also the intention of Ayn Rand when she wrote the novel). So I would consider that going beyond artistic expression into the realm of propaganda. Does he have the right to do that? Sure. Do we have the right to recognize it for what it is and choose not to see it? Absolutely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:00 am 

With the debate around a certian movie that was screend at this year's horror thon, why not have a devisive film at the sci fi thon. As I say before I don't agree with the film but I enjoy the film as a camp comedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:24 am 

Well, if A Serbian Film was a propaganda film financed by NAMBLA extolling the virtues of pedophilia, I would have no interest whatsoever in seeing it. But that's not what the film is. Atlas Shrugged is the political equivalent of that hypothetical film. The intention is to convert, not to entertain, tell a story, etc.

But hey, if that's the kind of film you want to spend your time and money on, don't let me stop you. To each their own. I just think alienating half the audience (or perhaps more than half) is a bad idea. Again, just my opinion. I hated Automatons as much as everyone else, and had I known in advance what the film was like I probably would have objected to that too. It's nice to have two weekends a year where I don't have other people's politics shoved down my throat. That's all I'm saying.

Again, Bruce and Joe can show whatever they want. This is why I never talk politics or religion with people I don't know well... can we get some other suggestions now? I feel that we have exhausted this topic and I'm sure some others would like to make suggestions. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:15 pm 

As horrible as Automatons was I don't think I have ever seen a film unite an audience like that before, everything was dead silent in the theater until one brave person shouted something and than it began, it was an hour long snarfest like no other. So I think Automatons served it's purpose. But Please never show it again, it was a one hit wonder.

As for additinal titles I would love to see:

Jason X
They Live
Starflight One
The Last Chase
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn
SpaceHunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
Critters
Critters 2
Flesh Gordon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next