The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 pm 

willcail wrote:
Meatfetish,

The original pre 1997 trilogy does exsit on DVD. These are the non anamorphic laserdisc transfers. These were stand alone releases of the original trilogy where disc one was the special edition and disc two was the original.

GL lawyers will rain down on the Drexel suing the theater to the point of bankruptcy and the possiblity suing Bruce and might bring criminal charges as well. This could end the science fiction marathon. Do you really want that? I don't like the changes in the original trilogy but I don't codone stealing of any kind. If GL wants to make changes to his films that is his right.

I did notice that the Wexner suppose to have Carrie Fisher the same weekend as the Science Fiction Marathon. Is there a slim chance to get her to make a quick appearence?

I didn't say anything about the marathons screening Star Wars! Seriously, read the post before responding. I just think buying or sharing bootlegs of the despecialized original trilogy is the massive exception I'll make in my generally anti-bootleg position. Like I said, if he ever releases a decent dvd or blu-ray of them, then he'll get more of my money. The abominations he released 6 years ago are more insulting than if he'd never released them at all. As the man who invented THX and was so concerned about the presentation of his films, it's inexcusable that he'd dump non-anamorphic copies into the marketplace in 2006. I have no-budget slasher films on dvd from 1998 that are widescreen. He's got every right to tinker with his films until the day he dies, but it's not only an insult to his fans but to the hard working crew members (not to mention Oscar winning SFX artists) that he is doing everything he can to bury the originals. So if you're content watching the 2006 DVDs letterboxed on all 4 sides, or zooming in to try to make it fit your widescreen TV then more power to you. I'll gladly take the free, beautiful 720p anamorphic discs I was given. And in the end, Lucas will get more money from both of us if he ever releases decent versions. You can call it stealing, I prefer to think of it more as a "take a penny leave a penny" situation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:37 am 

When you say "we should embrace" does that mean that the Drexel and the current owner of the Drexel should ingnore laws just because a certain movie trilogy isn't available in its original forum? Does it mean that people should commit acts of theft just because of the changes of SW OT? It doesn't make sense. The phrase you used is too broad.

This is why I supported SOPA and PIPA and still do. The two acts give copyright laws some teeth and cut down on bootlegs. The cries of internet censorship are unfounded and fearmongering. People must be held accountable for theft of IP.

A boycott of all SW properties are better than trafficking in illegal products. If you want the pre 1997 SW OT on DVD and Blu Ray anamorphic video. Buying illegal copies isn't helping.

BTW the only movies that I download are from iTunes, Amazon, Internet Archive. I check the US copyright website before I download a free movie.

I do own the SW Saga on Blu Ray it was a christmas gift. I do own the non SE version, non anamorphic copy of the original trilogy on DVD via the last stand alone DVD releases. Having a HDMI cable connected to my LG Blu Ray Player and to my Samsung forty inch LED HDTV the non anamorphic legit DVD release of the OT looks decient.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Ahem, ahem....

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1327

Seriously, though, if everyone wants to keep going back to the Bootleg: Yea or Nay conversation, please hold it in the above thread.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:52 pm 

Never saw that thread. Somehow it avoided my marathoid fetishism. Love the idea of the big kaboom, but what's the etiquette? If someone says something in the cantina that belongs in the kaboom, and you need to kaboom them back, is it best to copy and paste the original comment and then kaboom? But they might not see it then.... Or do we wait for a moderator like yourself to intervene? Seems unfair to leave you with that burden. Do we private message them to let them know a savage written response awaits them at Kabloomville? What's the best course to continue our petty griping and silly nonsense when it begins in the Cantina or Graveyard?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

HA! That's, by far, the funniest thing I've read all day. Bravo.

As far as the matter of what goes where...um, goes....I dunno. We try to let anyone on this board police themselves. Here and there, one of us has split a conversation into another thread (such as the aforementioned Bootleg-o-rama), and other times folks have just migrated there themselves. I'm all for regular threads going in odd directions, so the only time that I've moved posts is if their tone becomes obnoxious (personal attacks, etc.) or if they speed off into an extended or repeated jaunt into Off-Topicville or if they turn into extended debates about mostly off topic subjects.

But now that makes it sound like this happens WAY more often than it does.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:56 pm 

In a perfect world that if anyone caught with theft of IP gets ten years in fedreal prison no parole.

IP theft isn't petty is a fedreal crime.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:12 am 

willcail wrote:
In a perfect world that if anyone caught with theft of IP gets ten years in fedreal prison no parole.

IP theft isn't petty is a fedreal crime.

Soooo...you're saying that if I illegally downloaded a MOVIE, that I should get ten years in prison?!?!.......... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:35 am 

Please, no more discussion of bootlegs/pirating in this thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12