The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:42 pm 

How about screening Triumph of the Will? It will go nicely with that space nazi flick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:42 am 

Do you realize you're the only person on Earth taking a "Nazis on the Moon" movie seriously? Just checking. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 am 

willcail wrote:
The Thing (2011) is a sad attempt to cash in on the classic.

I strongly disagree. I think that "The Thing" (2011) doesn't take anything away from the original. Hell, even REMAKES don't take anything away from the original! Notice that when a movie is remade, the original is (GASP) still there! :O Prequels, in MY opinion, only add to the story by telling what happened before it. HOW IS THAT trying to cash in on a classic? If they wanted to cash in on "The Thing" (1982), they WOULD have done a remake, because it doesn't take as much thought to remake a movie as it does to give it a prequel. To remake a movie, you fix this, fix that, then DONE. To give a movie a PREQUEL, you REALLY need to think about the story. You can't copy the original like you can in a remake. A prequel is a whole different story.

MEATFETISH wrote:
I GIGANTIC "BOO" to playing The Thing 2011! What a pointless movie! Serves no purpose other than to try to make a quick buck and it didn't even do that. Though I did like the scene where the CGI CGI'd the CGI right when the CGI was going to CGI. That was pretty cool. Why does a movie with almost 30 years in film "advances" feel so much more dated and irrelevant than John Carpenter's classic? I'm always against showing big releases from the previous year.

Pointless? The point of "The Thing" (2011) is the same point as any prequel: To tell what happened before. Even though I'm gonna have the whole world hate me for saying this, I actually LIKED the prequel. Wow, who knew? I get that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I stand by what I said. I don't take back a split second of it. I think that the makers of "The Thing" (2011) did a DAMN good job. Did it have the amazing make up effects of the first (second) one? No. I never said The Thing 2011 was perfect. Just that I love it. I strongly think that "The Thing" (2011) SHOULD NOT have been given the same title as the film that follows it, because it SOUNDS like a remake of it, and I think that's one reason why everyone in the universe except for me, hates it. Unlike most of the people on these forums, I choose not to hate every movie I come across, but to keep an open mind, accept it for what it is, and just enjoy it, and not put so much thought into it that I psyche myself into thinking that it is the abomination of all that is holy lol

willcail wrote:
Screening The Thing (2011) is like screening Star Wars Episode I. Do we need to sit and watch SW Episode I? Heck I've haven't watch Episode I Blu Ray yet.

Ouch... Someone actually compared the WORST Star Wars film to a movie that tells what happened BEFORE, not DURING, one of the greatest films ever made. Is there any movie you all DON'T hate? LOL jk

willcail wrote:
How can I be a John Carpenter hater when I didn't like the Thing 2011?

Okay, so by YOUR LOGIC, every single person on Earth that likes "The Thing" (2011) even a little bit, is NOT a John Carpenter fan? Really? Wow... okay. I LOVE "The Thing" (2011), but because I'm automatically NOT a John Carpenter fan, I should tell you about some OTHER films I happen to love:

DARK STAR
HALLOWEEN (1978)
ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 (1976)
THE FOG (1980)
THE THING (1982)
IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS
ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK
CHRISTINE

As I said before, it takes a REALLY, TRULY, GOD AWFUL piece of cinema dung to make me hate it. In general, I love horror and sci fi movies. I accept the fact that they're not perfect. Think of my view on movies like being married: When you are married to someone, you accept that they're not perfect, and that's okay. They're never going to be. You love them anyway. You realize that you are not going to enjoy EVERY SINGLE THING about them, because that would be impossible! .... unless you happen to be married to Mary Elizabeth Winstead, but that's another story! :lol: That's how I view the genres of movies that I like. I love them no matter what, and unless I encounter a REALLLLLY bad one, like "City Of The Dead" or any Troma movie, I just go for the ride and get what I can out of it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:14 am 

Ok here is a list of all the suggestions for 2012 so far... We are ALL very aware that this is not a Voting Forum however I know we are all hoping that we can help the powers that be with the 'thon by making these suggestions:

2019 The Fall of New York
Alien Raiders
Altered States
Android
ATTACK THE BLOCK
Batman Returns
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century pilot tv movie
Christmas On Mars
Damnation Alley
Dark Star
Deadly Friend
Fire and Ice
Gassss
Godzilla the non Raymond Burr version
Hell comes to Frogtown
Ice Pirates
Iron Sky
Jason X
Krull
Legend
Lifeforce
Mars Attacks
MetalStorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn
Navigator: An Odyssey Across Time
Plague
Planet of the Apes
Priest
Robot Carnival
Robot Jox
Rock and Rule
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Roger Corman's Frankenstein
Roots Search
S.H.E
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
Supergirl
The Dark Crystal
The Thing (2011)
The Time Traveler's Wife
Tron
Tron Legacy
Turkey Shoot
Vampire Hunter D
Willow
Wizards
Young Sherlock Homes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:28 pm 

David2012:
You make some valid points about why you enjoy things and I'm not going to argue with your personal taste. I'm glad you liked the Thing prequel, but a vast majority of other people feel the same way about it as MEATFETISH.

But then you say "unlike most of the people on these forums, I choose not to hate every movie I come across." Not only is this incorrect, but it is an over genralization which debunks your own argument about keeping an open mind.

I do have an open mind when it comes to most movies, and I enjoy quite a bit more of them than I don't. I have not seen the 2011 version of The Thing yet, but I will say that my "open mindedness" going into it is a lot less so than some other movies, simply because of my love for the Carpenter version, my dislike of the overuse of CGI and my predisposition in thinking, much like MEATFETISH, that a prequel is "pointless." That's not to say I won't actually enjoy it, it will simply have a long row to hoe.

I have always felt that it is the movie's job to entertain ME and not the other way around. For me, the problem isn't so much "hatred" for movies as it is the frustration over the enormous amount of mediocrity out there. If you are able to get past that simple psychology, then you are a better man than I.

And P.S., you should learn not to engage in an argument with certain members of this forum. I think we have all learned by now that that is a pointless, circular exercise, even on those rare occasions where we are able to understand the text.

P.P.S. Chronicle is a GREAT movie, and I am almost as sick of the "found footage" format as I am of CGI. It's not always about simple definitions. It kind of reminded me of Shaun of the Dead, not in tone or execution, but in the sense that going into that I was thinking "Really? Do we really need ANOTHER zombie movie?"

See? We don't all hate everything.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:21 am 

Oh, we're back on this now? OK, I'll join in. :wink:

I'll admit that I didn't totally hate The Thing prequel. I was open to it and wanted it to work, for the simple fact that it wasn't a remake. I did find it interesting for about 15 minutes, until the monster was set loose and the CGI kicked in. Then it just got dull for me because I didn't find the monster convincing, and that takes me right out of the film. Just my opinion.

Having said that, I do think it was intended to be a better film than it was. I've read interviews with the director where he says that he wanted to use practical effects as in the original, but the producers (Morgan Creek, who interfere with pretty much everything they make) insisted on CGI. He wanted to make a genuine prequel that told a different story, whereas the producers wanted it to feel more like a remake (and adjusted the script accordingly). So if you're going to blame anyone for the way it turned out, blame them. The director was a first-timer with no clout and had to do what he was told, or quit and be in breach of contract. Such things happen all the time in Hollywood.

While I didn't think the film worked very well, I still think it was better than a remake would have been. And because of the film's boxoffice failure, there probably won't be a real remake of it now. So I'm kind of glad it was made for that reason. David is right that it doesn't change the original - it's still there on our shelves and we can watch it any time we want. Someone was going to do something with it sooner or later, let's face it. It probably wouldn't go over too well at the marathon, but I can understand why someone would suggest it.

And this is coming from a Carpenter fan - Carpenter doesn't really care as long as he gets his check. So let's not worry about him. Most of the great sci-fi/horror films have had either sequels or prequels or remakes or even TV shows cashing in on the popularity of the original. And dare I say it, Carpenter's The Thing is itself a remake. So let's chill out a little bit. If David likes the film, that's fine. I'm glad someone enjoyed it more than I did. Let's not go crazy over it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:47 am 

You're entitled to like or LOVE any movie you want regardless of quality. I, like many people on this forum, LOVE a number of movies most people wouldn't like at all. I also hate a lot of movies that people seem to love, like Transformers and Braveheart. But everyone on here is also entitled to express their opinions pro or con about what would be good for the marathon so don't take our opinions as an attack on you. And I can guarantee you that there's never once been a marathon in its 25+ years in existence where everyone has liked every single film.

My problem with The Thing 2011 is the same I have with almost every prequel ever made (except Rise of the Planet of the Apes): You already know what happens to the characters!!! 5 minutes into this prequel you already know who the survivor is so what the point of getting invested in any of the characters? And the filmmakers obviously felt the same way! And why did they only "develop" two characters that the audience knows is going to die, instead of developing the one survivor? The reason I think Rise of the Planet of the Apes work is because it doesn't try to tell you the story of how Marky Mark of Charleton Heston got there,t told the story about how the planet got to be overrun by talking apes, but there was still suspense created around the human characters. There was no suspense whatsoever in The Thing 2011 and the overuse of CGI was really distracting. CGI has it's place and if you films made pre-CGI the matte paintings look equally fake. Good filmmakers know how to use it to enhance and compliment practical effects and it can be done fairly well these days. The Thing 2011 doesn't use the CGI well, it looks like a cartoon has entered the real world.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:10 am 

As a person who owns about 80% of Something Werid DVD's I don't mind watching movies that are done in bad taste. I do mind when a "filmmaker" decides to make a film that tries to put a non negitive spin on a political group that supports white nationalism and genocide.

I'm always weary of the countless sequels, prequels, reboots. The powers at be don't want to take chanches when it comes to the science fiction, horror, and fantasy genres. Keep the sequels to 4 movies unless the movies are adaptations of books ect. Remakes are pointless. If the movie is good the first time no reason to remake it. Remake bad movies. They are the ones that need a do over. If a remake is a more accurate adaptation then I'm fine with it. The last good science fiction movie I saw was Apollo 18. The last good horror movie was The Innkeepers.

This is why I favor Red Dragon over the anemic Manhunter. Red Dragon wasn't some cliff notes version of the novel of the same name. Manhunter left so much out.

In conclusion that in my opinion that the Science Fiction Marathon shouldn't screen dreck movies. For example Iron Sky. There are far better low budget shlocky science fiction movies out there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:36 pm 

To each his own, I guess on THE THING prequel/remake. But, when a film is as critically and commercially reviled as this, it's probably not a good move by a Marathon planner to book it that next year (maybe, it's reputation will get better. doubtful). Of course, I had this to say about the vastly overrated Carpenter film just a couple of years ago:

"THE THING (1982) - Now, I'm the heretic. I saw the film 3 times upon it's initial release (plus, had an exlusive look at the Studio's Production show reel a couple of times AND interviewed Producer David Foster) including at (Boston's) SF/8. I didn't particularly care for it then. I may have seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but this was the first time I'd seen the whole thing in 27 years....and it simply hasn't gotten any better. Sure, the effects still are groundbreaking for the time. Yes, it's a decently mounted production with some good sequences (particularly the blood test). And, yes, it does hew closer to the novella than the Hawks classic original, but this is one case where fidelity to the story does not necessarily equate with a finer film. Large sequences seem slack in their pacing, Carpenter's direction is prosaic and Kurt Russell is frankly dull in the lead."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
To each his own, I guess on THE THING prequel/remake. But, when a film is as critically and commercially reviled as this, it's probably not a good move by a Marathon planner to book it that next year (maybe, it's reputation will get better. doubtful). Of course, I had this to say about the vastly overrated Carpenter film just a couple of years ago:

"THE THING (1982) - Now, I'm the heretic. I saw the film 3 times upon it's initial release (plus, had an exlusive look at the Studio's Production show reel a couple of times AND interviewed Producer David Foster) including at (Boston's) SF/8. I didn't particularly care for it then. I may have seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but this was the first time I'd seen the whole thing in 27 years....and it simply hasn't gotten any better. Sure, the effects still are groundbreaking for the time. Yes, it's a decently mounted production with some good sequences (particularly the blood test). And, yes, it does hew closer to the novella than the Hawks classic original, but this is one case where fidelity to the story does not necessarily equate with a finer film. Large sequences seem slack in their pacing, Carpenter's direction is prosaic and Kurt Russell is frankly dull in the lead."

Yes. You are a heretic. Enough said. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:08 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
But then you say "unlike most of the people on these forums, I choose not to hate every movie I come across." Not only is this incorrect, but it is an over genralization which debunks your own argument about keeping an open mind.

You're absolutely correct. I was foolish to make an over generalization. I apologize to anyone and everyone that was offended by my brash, thoughtless rant on my love for the movie “The Thing” (2011). I didn’t mean for it to be an argument. I think it’s because of my depression and/or OCD that is the reason for my unfortunate tendency to over think things and take things personally. I don’t want any movie to be shown at the Columbus Sci Fi Marathon if it’s generally disliked. I have some other ideas for movies that I would love to be shown at this year’s Sci Fi Marathon:

Solarbabies
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
Space Truckers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:02 pm 

[quote="willcail"]As a person who owns about 80% of Something Werid DVD's I don't mind watching movies that are done in bad taste. I do mind when a "filmmaker" decides to make a film that tries to put a non negitive spin on a political group that supports white nationalism and genocide.

Sigh... it's not a Nazi propaganda film or a documentary. It's a COMEDY. It's meant to be ridiculous and absurd. Can you really not tell that from the trailer? It's an alien invasion movie with Nazis instead of aliens. Nothing in the trailer portrays Nazis as being good human beings. They are clearly trying to invade Earth, which would be a bad thing. Are you really that lacking in a sense of humor? Does everything have to be political around here? It's like a big Monty Python sketch, which pretty much everyone on Earth understands except you. Seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:07 am 

I do have a sense of humor. The Producers is a funny film. Iron Sky that tries to make Nazi's the protagonist is tasteless. The Diray of Ann Frankenstein segment of Chillerama is funnier than Iron Sky. I find the movies of Something Weird funny as well.

Iron Sky is the next Enter the Helix. Both movies fails as comedy. Remember now Nazis are bad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:38 pm 

I have absolutely no interest in getting into a long, drawn-out debate over this nonsense. We all agree that Nazis are bad, mmkay?

So let's do it this way: show me any evidence whatsoever (besides your own opinion) that the filmmakers intend Iron Sky to be a pro-Nazi propaganda film and I will gladly withdraw my suggestion to show it at the marathon. Until then, I have nothing more to say about this subject.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, can we get back to talking about Serbian Film, please?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next