The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

I and three other distinguished Ohio delegates have just returned from the 32nd Annual Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. You can find extensive reporting on how that went on this forum and on their site <www.bostonsci-fi.com>. The general consensus seemed to be that it was one of the best 'thons in recent memory. As usual, we'll steal what thunder we can from them. They've set the bar pretty high this year.

There are a few titles which are virtually confirmed:
KING DINOSAUR (1955)
FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACEMONSTER (1965)
MINDWARP: AN INFINITY OF TERROR aka GALAXY OF TERROR (1981)
Plus a surprise classic which I promise you'll like (if it doesn't fall through). If you know or think you know, please keep it to yourself so that others can enjoy the surprise.

Some of Boston's selections are also under consideration:
SLITHER (2006)
PUZZLEHEAD - Ohio premiere
CHOPPING MALL (1986)
ROBOCOP
and a few others

And here are few (of many) other titles under consideration:
BLACK SHEEP
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE - the newly colorized version
FLASH GORDON (1980)
12 MONKEYS
DONNIE DARKO
THE JACKET
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
SHE - restoration of the 1935 version
METROPOLIS (1925) restored version
PITCH BLACK

Yeah, I know, I forgot your favorite that has never played...
And bear in mind that we're already nearing our RDA for cheese.
Let the want lists continue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:46 pm 

We are not worthy! Sounds great so far! Any of these sounds great. I take that back, forget about The Jacket if we get Slither. 2 movies from the last 2 years is too much, and of the two Slither is better and will be more fun for us. As you said, the cheese factor is already kind of high, so maybe one more bad old movie. Unless of course I'm unable to make it for some reason, then please get nothing but garbage and new releases, and save this lineup for next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:15 pm 

Good selections so far! Not a BLACK SHEEP among them :lol: :oops:

A couple years ago there was definately too much cheese so I know it can happen, hopefully a couple juicy "serious" films will fall into place.

I don't see THE THING anywhere on there and I know that is highly requested. It played in Chicago last fall, so please end the suspense for us: is it on the short list?

Also, are you considering a shorts program which got rave reviews in Boston?

I'm noticing that Boston was able to show 13 features (13!) in addition to all of the short films. Last year we had 9 and the year before 10. What's up with that?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm stoked! Thanks for the info so far in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:20 pm 

P.S. uh... that is the New Zealand horror/comedy right? Not that Chris Farley movie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:08 pm 

That looks great so far. No complaints here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:21 am 

I'm excited!

King Dinosaur - I have never seen, as I am sure most haven't seen, so that's always a plus.

Frankenstein Meets the Spacemonster - I have never seen, and again, I'm sure most haven't seen. Sounds like good cheesy fun that went over well in Boston.

Galaxy of Terror - Roger Cormon and Sid Haig! I haven't seen it. I'm in!

The virtually confirmed list sounds great! All three probably fall into the cheesey category, which is fine....just hope the rest of the lineup isn't stack the with too much cheese. I think Boston's lineup was a little to much cheese and not enough fine wine.

Now, throw in Robocop, 12 Monkeys, A Clockwork Orange, Pitch Black, SHE and Metropolis and you have a nice balanced lineup.

Yes, I am excited. I will come regardless of what shows. Just need a date. Oh....and I'm intrigued by Black Sheep. Don't know much about it. I'm always up for a premiere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:59 am 

King Dinosaur - Mr. BIG's first foray into SF. Bert I Gordon's directorial debut. YOu know the guy that brought you The Amazing Colossal Man, Food of the Gods, Village of the Giants, Empire of the Ants, Puppet People and more.......... Bad science, bad dinosaurs, bad dialogue, this one has it all...

Franky Meets Spacy - it is a howl.... I had not seen it in years and it rings the bell.

Galaxy of Terror - as if Sid Haig and Corman weren't enough, Sid is joined by Erin "Happy Days" Moran and Ray"My Favorite Damn Yankee Martian" Walston and Freddy Kruger is there as well as are Grace"Twin Peaks" Zabriskie and Zalman"Red Shoe Diaries" King......

You definitely have enough films in the offing for a grand marathon.

Last edited by Frank on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:15 am 

Things are looking great for this marathon, Great Work Bruce!!!!

Any word of wheather or not MINDWARP: AN INFINITY OF TERROR aka GALAXY OF TERROR (1981) is the uncut version? I know the original U.S. release was edited during the Worm Rape Scene?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:30 pm 

You had me at worm rape scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:16 pm 

usinoh wrote:
Things are looking great for this marathon, Great Work Bruce!!!!

Any word of wheather or not MINDWARP: AN INFINITY OF TERROR aka GALAXY OF TERROR (1981) is the uncut version? I know the original U.S. release was edited during the Worm Rape Scene?

I saw it with the scene intact, it's difficult to forget. It may have been cut out later.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:09 pm 

Fantastic! Things are really starting to take shape here.
My thoughts:

KING DINOSAUR - Never seen it. Sounds like an all-time classic! I hope this is a Saturday afternoon showing because I'm really looking forward to this.

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACEMONSTER - Once again, never seen it. Sounds like more fun.

MINDWARP: AN INFINITY OF TERROR aka GALAXY OF TERROR - I have seen this one. But only once, so I don't think I'd mind seeing it again.

SLITHER - I haven't seen this yet, so I wouldn't mind at all if it were at this year's marathon.

PUZZLEHEAD - Of course, I've never seen it, so this would be fine with me.

CHOPPING MALL - I've seen this one, and I'll give it a thumbs up. One big plus for it is that it's a pretty darn short movie.

ROBOCOP - And of course, I've seen this too. If I had to pick, I think I'd rather include Chopping Mall, just because it's shorter.

BLACK SHEEP - no clue

THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH - This is an interesting choice. I wouldn't be opposed to it. But I wonder when would be a good time to show it.

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE - Hmm, I kind of think there's enough cheese in the titles listed above already.

FLASH GORDON (1980) - I was never a big fan of this. I won't shed any tears if we don't get it.

12 MONKEYS - Good movie, and one I've only seen once, a while ago. It would be cool to see it again.

DONNIE DARKO - Brilliant. I'd be all in favor of seeing it again.

THE JACKET - Never saw it, so I sure wouldn't mind seeing it once.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE - Not a bad choice. Not my first choice though.

SHE - I'd be all in favor of this. Can't say I'm familiar with it, but it sounds cool.

METROPOLIS (1925) - this would be cool

PITCH BLACK - I loved this movie, and I always get a kick out of it when I see it, so I wouldn't mind seeing it on the big screen again. I'd prefer this to Robocop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:00 pm 

I am still fighting fighting for the Transformers Animated movie. 86MIN of Giant robots beating the crap out of each other

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:52 am 

Ok I just watched the trailer for BLACK SHEEP and that would be PERFECT for the marathon:

http://www.blacksheep-themovie.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:50 pm 

And it's not scheduled to come out in the U.S. until August, so it would be a good catch if Bruce can snag it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:38 am 

METROPOLIS and CLOCKWORK ORANGE were two of the highlights from my first ever thon SF6, so either or both of these would be great. I think if we get 4 or 5 of the ones listed here, we are in good shape.

So my question was never answered: you just attended a highly successful Marathon where 13 features were screened, any chance we get more than 9 or 10 this year?

Also, your short list includes 3 "crazy guy who may or may not be a time traveller" movies (all of which I might add would be welcome additions). This is bordering on a theme. So if we do that, wouldn't we have to make this SF13 or 14? I wonder if the grand plan is to eventually revisit all of our missed numbers. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next