The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:57 pm 

WolfNC17 wrote:
Honestly, I think some people are scared to post here. Sometimes I don't blame them.

Scared of what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:19 am 

Well, I think there's a section of the audience that likes to attend the events, but don't want to be perceived as being "hardcore" about it. I know one person who used to read the boards regularly, but stopped after awhile because, in his words, "those people are nuts".

I think there's a bit of a social stigma about being "too geeky" over things like this, and some people just don't want to deal with that. They want people to see them as "normal" and we all know "normal" people aren't passionate about movies, much less genre films like sci-fi and horror. (Luckily for me, I gave up on trying to be "normal" long ago...) So it's one thing to go to the marathon twice a year, it's another to associate yourself with the people who obsess about it all year long.

It's also possible that they don't want to get into arguments over nothing, but that's more relevant to the Horror boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:41 am 
Site Admin

BOARD ACTIVITY

*CRAZY WILD FLAILING OF ARMS*

Quote:
"those people are nuts"

I'm sorry, did someone say something? :)

I'd just like to say that I agree with Joe. It's really all about the pancakes.

I think we should direct Drexel management to investigate franchise options for "The Gateway IHOP" ... I see this as a big win/win for the Marathon crowd!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:54 am 

I have been freakin' slammed at work, I barely get the time to post my countdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:50 pm 

I come by whenever I can to see what's going on and check for news of the marathon. I guess I'm a freak.

I'M A FREEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAKKKKK!!!!!

'n stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:40 pm 

Hey, I'm not the one who said it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

carter9000 wrote:
We are only a little over a month away! The board should be going bannanas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:05 pm 

Hell's bells.

I am one of those posting fools in Boston. To be fair, although we have a lot more folks registered, the number of frequent posters is considerably less. We have about 20 or so frequent posters - folks who post several times a week throughout the entire year. We also have maybe another 20 or so who start to post as the marathon approaches and for a short while after it ends. Basically, the core of the board just happen to be chatty folks. We are a hardcore group only in that we try to keep the spirit of the thon alive throughout the year..... It's a way of extending the community........which, BTW, I refuse to think of it as Brigadoon. That's all swell and sweet but it is not us, not really..... I prefer to see us as that harsher version of Brigadoon-= you know the one created by the master HG Lewis - 2000 Maniacs.

Anyway, I do hope that you guys start posting more soon. I want to throw in my two cents, well maybe a half buck the way I go on..

We welcome any and all Ohio representatives to Boston. If you do come find me and say hi. I am the prize guy. I will be easy to find. I know that we have plenty of large lads with beards but I will be the one handing out prizes so it will be easy to spot me....

I won't be able to make it this year but maybe I can attend a horror or schlock thon and my wife and I are setting our sights for a trip out there next year if all works out.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:53 pm 

Great, thanks for the photo Joe! Now I Am craving pancakes! I may have to actually run out and pick up some mix, eggs, and milk. Hmmm, there is an IHOP right around the corner and down the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:41 pm 

That is just too weird. We had a breakfast for supper night here and Fram made an omelette, we had some fruit and of course mouth watering pancakes..... Joe snuck in way too many pancake photos and references in the Boston thread and now the thought of pancakes just won't go away......

You're in danger --- you're all in danger --- they're are coming --- run for lives you fools --- run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:01 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:50 pm 

Most users ever online was 13 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:09 pm

I guess all it takes is a fantastic marathon to bring people out of their shells, eh?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:04 am 

Carter was prescient here. Just 2 weeks after the event and the board has gone cold, except for the daily countdown. 2 1/2 months after the Boston event and we're still getting multiple posts every day....

carter9000 wrote:
Over the past 4 or 5 years I have wondered why there is such a lack of activity on the Columbus Sci-fi message board. There are about 10 core people who post and that's about it. Boston has probably 30 core posters and there always seems to be activity 3 or 4 months before the event continuing until about 2 weeks after the event. They have 241 registered users compared to our 68.

C'mon Columbus!

Maybe the fans aren't as hardcore...maybe it is that the Boston event is older...maybe it's that Boston started their message board a couple of years before Columbus started theirs...Maybe it's because the attendees in Columbus just don't care enough to want to post. I'm not sure. Do people not know about the board? Is it not on the flyers or publicity.

Tell yer friends to post. Have your grandma chime in on what we should show. Maybe your aunt has some suggestions on how to stay awake for the whole 24 hours. I don't know....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:43 am 

I think the biggest reason is likely not enough/as many active contributors. 2-3 active posters does not a busy messageboard make.

Honestly, the "on-topic" forum probably won't get much discussion during the off-season, since barring any WAY ADVANCE updates on dates, location, film selection, etc, there just isn't much to say there. I suppose discussion on the past year's movies COULD still be going on, but that's got to peter out at some point.

The "off-topic" forum could potentially keep alive and well with folks talking about whatever other sci-fi stuff comes along, but in my experience, if the on-topic forum at a message board is slow/dead, the off-topic forum won't get any traffic either, because people have plenty of other forums to choose from where they can talk about that kind of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:47 am 

Yeah, I try to keep things alive.

I had wondered what the surprise classic might have been and posted the question since there doesn't seem to be a reason for secrecy anymore. but all I got back was a cryptic tease. I guess it dies there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next