The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:28 pm 

sanctuary wrote:
Yeah, I try to keep things alive.

I had wondered what the surprise classic might have been and posted the question since there doesn't seem to be a reason for secrecy anymore. but all I got back was a cryptic tease. I guess it dies there.

Interesting point. I think one reason for a slow off season on this board is due to a lack of input from organizers and/or volunteers of the marathon. I know I've hardly ever had any specific questions responded to.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:30 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Carter was prescient here. Just 2 weeks after the event and the board has gone cold, except for the daily countdown. 2 1/2 months after the Boston event and we're still getting multiple posts every day....

Congratulations. You win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:53 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Interesting point. I think one reason for a slow off season on this board is due to a lack of input from organizers and/or volunteers of the marathon. I know I've hardly ever had any specific questions responded to.

In their defense, I've always gotten the impression that most of the time they don't HAVE answers to a lot of the specific questions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:03 pm 

In this case, there IS an answer... Apparently the "Surprise Classic" had we seen it this year was to be the same film that they saw in Boston for their marathon this year....The Boston people had been sworn to secrecy so as not to ruin the surprise for us, but since the film didn't come through, there seems to be no reason to keep it a secret anymore...and L.A. Connection is dying to tell us...

Ryan
(Sanctuary)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:06 am 

Meh, I'm sure there are lots of movies in consideration each year that fall through - one movie we could've seen but didn't get to isn't really that big of a deal is it?

If folks want to tell us, they will. If not, again, *meh*.

I just assumed LA Connection kept parading the secret around for that "I know something you don't know" Intarwubs 31337 feeling. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:07 am 

I wouldn't do THAT! :wink:

Seriously, we've had to pull posts on our board to uphold our vow NOT to reveal the identity of the film. 2 1/2 months and hundreds of posts later, it's getting to tough to self-censor ourselves.

Bruce?.................

shroud wrote:
Meh, I'm sure there are lots of movies in consideration each year that fall through - one movie we could've seen but didn't get to isn't really that big of a deal is it?

If folks want to tell us, they will. If not, again, *meh*.

I just assumed LA Connection kept parading the secret around for that "I know something you don't know" Intarwubs 31337 feeling. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:57 am 

You're right...it isn't that big of a deal... but that's kinda the point. What's the purpose in continuing to keep the non-existent "surprise classic" a secret from us?

You know how obsessive we are...If we weren't, we wouldn't come from all over and sit in the dark watching sci-fi for 24 hrs and then continue to talk about it on here afterward. (which is the whole point of the forum, right?...To feed that obsession?)

-Ryan
(Sanctuary)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:27 pm 

Ahaaa. Nevermind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

To quote David Lynch, on the subject of mysteries:

"Secrets and mysteries provide a beautiful corridor where you can float out. The corridor expands and many, many wonderful things can happen... I love the process of going into mystery."

"Part of the thing about secrets is that they have a certain kind of mystery to me. A dark secret, I don´t want to see something so clearly that it would destroy an imaginary picture...secrets and mysteries... provide a beautiful little corridor where you can float out and many, many wonderful things can happen."

"Mystery is like a magnet, it pulls us in and we want to know something...You go into a world and because it's the unknown there's some trepidation like maybe small fears, but the mystery pulls us."

"To me a mystery is like a magnet. Whenever there is something that's unknown, it has a pull to it. For instance, if you were in a room and there was a doorway open and stairs going down and the light just fell away, you didn't even see the bottom, where the stairs ended; you'd be very much tempted to go down there."

"The more unknowable the mystery, the more beautiful it is."

"I love mysteries. To fall into a mystery and its danger ... everything becomes so intense in those moments. When most mysteries are solved, I feel tremendously let down. So I want things to feel solved up to a point, but there's got to be a certain percentage left over to keep the dream going. It's like at the end of Chinatown: The guy says, 'Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown.' You understand it, but you don't understand it, and it keeps that mystery alive. That's the most beautiful thing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:44 am 

Joe, you could have made one of the funniest posts of all time by following that with: The Suprise classic was going to be <filmname>.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:41 am 

With Google, anything is possible. There is no mystery.

In all honesty though, I now understand why it's still shrouded in secrecy, and there is a very legitimate reason for it. I shall now officially drop it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go watch the director's cut of <filmname> on DVD ;-)

-Ryan
(Sanctuary)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:20 pm 

One way to increase board traffic is to post on other boards that have like minded people and to include a url link to this board in your sig (like the link to my "home" board in my sig).. and you don't have to limit yourself to just trying to find central Ohio folks.. I'm living outside of Houston, and I post on 'local' boards from one end of the globe to the other.

Central Ohio has a great history and community for the Marathon scene.. other people from around the world would do well to learn from such people in order to start such happenings in their own areas... GRAVITY!!! :twisted:

http://geeksanddorks.com/

Post subject: Im new
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:54 pm 

This board is very sporatic but I love a good marathon so Iwill be a regular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

I tend to think of board activity as sort of...the tide. It's kinda natural given the nature of the primary topic matter here (i.e. - the thons).

As for another question, some reasons for not disclosing info too far ahead of time is there is a lot of work going on in the background - booking, calls, scheduling, etc... - that sometimes works out and sometimes doesn't. We'd hate to make an early announcement that, if for some awful reason falls through, would let you down. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm 

carter9000 wrote:
Over the past 4 or 5 years I have wondered why there is such a lack of activity on the Columbus Sci-fi message board.

The answer is quite simple, my friend. It's because *I* don't post here often enough. It's a scientifically proven fact, or so the theory goes, that any forums visited regularly by scottcoz will experience exponential growth in their "cool quotient," thereby attracting more and more forum activity.

Unfortunately, the demands on my "cool" are substantial, and so I must spread it around. I am unable to devote all my cool to one place. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next