The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:09 am 

An American Werewolf in London would be great. It would't surprise me that the only available prints would be from that awful remake.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Joe Neff wrote:
Fun fact of the day: An American Werewolf in London has never played a Columbus Horror Marathon.

It did play at the Little Art's marathon a while back (5 years ago, maybe?) It went over REALLY well, albeit with a small crowd. It's been a while since we've had a good woof-woof themed spectacle, I'd definitely be up for it.

WolfNC17 wrote:
While I always believed the April 21st date was rumor at best, I do think someone official should have commented on it. After all, it was printed as fact on at least two other websites.

It was posted on the Internetz! It absolutely, positively MUST BE TRUE!!!

Seriously, in spite of what Anchor Bay thinks, the date for the Marathon has not been officially set (this coming directly from one of the organizers whom I have only pestered about the date about a million times.) The 21st date is still ONE of the possible dates (as is probably every weekend coming up for the next three months.)

When the date is decided, it will be officially announced. Until you've heard it from us, don't buy any plane tickets.

I mean, only a complete idiot would fly out for a marathon and realize he was a week early.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:37 am 

willcail wrote:
An American Werewolf in London would be great. It would't surprise me that the only available prints would be from that awful remake.

A 35mm print played this past October (with David Naughton in person) in Chicago and it was pretty decent. The color was slightly faded, but far from pink. There was a little wear and tear but nothing distracting at all. Probably the best comparison I have would be the Day of the Dead print that played a few years ago in Columbus.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:23 pm 

Anchor Bay must have contact somebody at the theater or the someone who oversees the theater told AB that April 21st is the date. They don't post a date on their website without verifying the venue. Who on the marathon end tell AB that the date is April 21st? Did Jeff told AB that April 21st is the date?

I'm refering to the current owners of the Drexel Theater.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:00 pm 

WolfNC17 wrote:
While I always believed the April 21st date was rumor at best, I do think someone official should have commented on it. After all, it was printed as fact on at least two other websites.

It was posted on the Internetz! It absolutely, positively MUST BE TRUE!!!

Yeah, I never said it was true. Show me where I said it was true. I said it was an issue that needs to be addressed one way or the other. If people are putting information out there about a marathon date and reporting it as fact, we need to know whether it's true or it ISN'T true. It's not like it came out of thin air. If it's a load of BS, then TELL US and we can all get on with our lives. Either confirm or deny, that's all we ask. Instead we spend weeks wondering why no one's commenting about it. A simple "it's not true" would have solved the problem. But I guess no one could be bothered to type three words over there...

I was under the impression that this board was about information about the Marathon, not keeping us hanging when something of interest comes up. Of course, if it's really just a forum for people to rant about politics, then let me know and I'll rely on word-of-mouth from now on. And by the way, I know how to spell, thank you. Sorry you have such little regard for your paying customers.

Last edited by WolfNC17 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:51 pm 

willcail wrote:
Anchor Bay must have contact somebody at the theater or the someone who oversees the theater told AB that April 21st is the date. They don't post a date on their website without verifying the venue. Who on the marathon end tell AB that the date is April 21st? Did Jeff told AB that April 21st is the date?

Hasn't this already been asked and answered?

Did you consider the possibility that AB wanted to include as many showings as possible on their press release, and simply listed a possible tentative date for the Columbus marathon that may have been mentioned to them during some sort of initial booking/reservation process?

WolfNC17 wrote:
. I said it was an issue that needs to be addressed one way or the other. If people are putting information out there about a marathon date, we need to know whether it's true or it ISN'T true. It's not like it came out of thin air. If it's a load of BS, then TELL US and we can all get on with our lives. Either confirm or deny, that's all we ask. Instead we spend weeks wondering what the hell's going on. A simple "it's not true" would have solved the problem. But I guess no one could be bothered to type three words over there...

Good grief.

The day after that date was posted, the site administrator here posted the following:

Quote:
Still have no confirmation on this, but I'm checking. As far as I'm aware neither date nor film choices have been confirmed.

If you can't understand "no confirmation" and figure out that nothing has been confirmed, then I don't think anyone can help you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:53 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
I believe that this thread is probably worth revisiting at this point:

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1071

Substitute the most current date, adjust for a year's time since initial posting, etc. But the sentiments remain valid and relevant.

I was about to respond to this and say that it wasn't needed because people here have been really polite and patient about waiting for the date this year, without much grumpy complaining at all.

Turns out I was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

So here's what I know (and again, I'm only tangentially involved in the SF planning):

Anchor Bay wanted to run a tour of BATTLE ROYALE, so they opened up bookings to theaters nationwide. From all indications, this release is digital only (i.e. Blu-Ray, HDCAM, etc.) It's likely that the Drexel confirmed interest in screening the film on April 21st, thinking that it was a possible date for the Sci-Fi Marathon. They also likely figured that since the release was not limited to a 35mm print or two (which is common for limited run new prints), that they could change the date if necessary and still be able to show the film. It's also highly likely that the Drexel didn't expect Anchor Bay to then issue a press release trumpeting all of the dates, including a mention of the Sci-Fi Marathon.

I spoke with Bruce on Wednesday, and he's still waiting for a date from the Drexel. As I mentioned in last year's thread on this topic, the theater is the ultimate arbiter of the date, so if you're REALLY miffed about these matters, contact them ('cause I'm willing to bet a paycheck or two that Jeff Frank doesn't check this board.)

Hope this helps. I guess the big question now is which topic has inspired more ire over the past year: the lack of a timely date for the Sci-Fi Marathon or the screening of Serbian Film?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:59 pm 

Anchor Bay doesn't make up dates. Someone on the marathon side must have contact AB. I just want some news about the date. I'm suspicous when it comes to no confrmation from the powers at be and find out that AB have Battle Royale screeing at this year's Science Fiction Marathon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, we've run right back around to where we started. There's really no more to say on this subject until we have something official, so I'll say this one final time and then I'm closing this thread ...

AS OF THIS TIME WE DO NOT HAVE AN OFFICIAL DATE FOR THE NEXT SCI-FI MARATHON. WE WILL POST IN THIS FORUM THE INSTANT WE HAVE CONFIRMATION OF THE DATE ALONG WITH WHATEVER DETAILS WE CAN POSSIBLY MUSTER. UNTIL THEN, PLEASE BE PATIENT AND UNDERSTAND THAT WE CANNOT GIVE YOU FURTHER INFORMATION AT THIS TIME.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2