The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:07 am 
Site Admin

"Ro-Man Wants A Marathon Date!"

So there's been quite a bit of consternation lately over the prospective date of this year's 28th Annual Ohio Science Fiction Marathon (a.k.a It Came From The Drexel a.k.a The Celebration of Cinematic Excess a.k.a. This Filmic Thing Of Ours)...or the lack thereof. It's entirely justified; many of you have (gasp) other commitments in your lives and can't just show up at the drop of a space helmet. But there should probably be some clarification about the chain of communication, specifically as relates to this site and the Facebook page.

A disclaimer: while Bruce and I are committed partners in crime in that continually reanimated monster known as SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK (returning to life this fall at the Grandview Theatre), I generally have little to do with the behind the scenes planning of the Sci-Fi Marathon. My role in this event is usually to help with updates on the Facebook page, odd jobs here and there, moderation of the message board, etc. So in many ways, I'm in the same lot as all of you.

To make it clear, http://www.scifimarathon.com, http://www.horrormarathon.com and the Facebook page are essentially independent entities from the Drexel and the Grandview. We disseminate information and updates on each Marathon as they become available, and offer this forum for conversations about both. As you've seen in the past, David Nedrow checks in on this board and website on a fairly regular basis. However, I can tell you with some certainty that the Drexel management doesn't view the content on this forum or the Facebook page with much regularity. That's not necessarily a knock on them, just a statement of clarification.

The reason I bring this up is because much of the holdup over a date confirmation for the Sci-Fi Marathon is attributable to the Drexel. Ultimately, the Drexel management makes the final decision on the date for the Marathon; that decision is made in conjunction with Bruce, but they have final say over when it will be. As most of you have seen, they've been going through a transition in ownership, which has obviously occupied quite a bit of their time, so that should be taken into your consideration. But also, you should know that, while voicing your concerns about the date on this site and the Facebook page is legitimate and entirely understandable, there's generally not a lot any of us (Bruce, Dave, Jen, me) can do about it until the Drexel is able to make their decision. And if the Drexel does not check either site on a regular basis, the laments about the date eventually fall on deaf ears...or the wrong ears....aw geez, you get the point.

In any case, I hope that this clears up a few things. Hopefully, we'll all be talking about matters more interstellar in the near future. Until then, keep watching the skies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:48 am 

Completely understandable. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:52 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
The reason I bring this up is because much of the holdup over a date confirmation for the Sci-Fi Marathon is attributable to the Drexel. Ultimately, the Drexel management makes the final decision on the date for the Marathon; that decision is made in conjunction with Bruce, but they have final say over when it will be. As most of you have seen, they've been going through a transition in ownership, which has obviously occupied quite a bit of their time, so that should be taken into your consideration. But also, you should know that, while voicing your concerns about the date on this site and the Facebook page is legitimate and entirely understandable, there's generally not a lot any of us (Bruce, Dave, Jen, me) can do about it until the Drexel is able to make their decision.

Well I can think of one thing you can do about it :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 am 

Thanks for the clarification Joe.

I think people are just anxious because we all look forward to the marathon so much. It's definitely always one of the highlights of my spring. I appreciate the hard work that goes into it. The vagaries of Marathon planning are beyond my purview so I try not to speculate too much on the actual occurrence of the marathon, just rather look forward to the day when details become available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:41 am 

Joe, you continue to demonstrate what a fine upstanding citizen of considerable character you are. It would be so easy to assign blame, point fingers or express bitter frustration, especially since clarifying how little the management is involved with the message board.

Instead, you choose to go the reassuring route, and those of us who stick our noses in here obsessiv...er...I mean... regularly, sure do appreciate the fellowship. I know you have had some disagreements in the past with various theater management regarding marathon planning, so it is nice to know that you are able to maintain a level-headed, proper attitude about eveything.

Stay cool! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:47 am 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Joe, you continue to demonstrate what a fine upstanding citizen of considerable character you are.

Hey, I might be demonstrating that I can compose florid prose, but demonstrating that I'm a fine upstanding citizen of considerable character? Eh.... :wink:

And besides, you start throwing around accolades like that and I'll lose my devilish reputation for the Horror Marathon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:37 am 
Site Admin

My thanks to Joe for stating this so eloquently (and frankly for doing, y'know, my job and all.)

Hmmm. Wonder why they bother to keep me around? *shrug*

Anyway, the sci-fi marathon in particular is my first and greatest love. I'll be happier than anyone to see the details finalized and be able to post an announcement in here.

Though Joe (of course) will probably have beaten me to it. Or Bruce. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:01 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
IamJacksUserID wrote:
Joe, you continue to demonstrate what a fine upstanding citizen of considerable character you are.
And besides, you start throwing around accolades like that and I'll lose my devilish reputation for the Horror Marathon!

Wait a minute, you are right. Forget everything I said! This is the guy who in three consecutive years has booked Cannibal Ferox, Irreversible and Martyrs.

I take back all that "upstanding citizen" nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:50 pm 

Nothing to really say about this. Just have that pouty lower lip right now... Please let there be a horror marathon Joe! Actually wondering if there's some business arrangement that keeps us tied to the Drexel for the sf marathons. I'm sure no one would complain if it was moved to the Grandview and they seemed to really like having us for the horror marathons. C'est la vie....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:03 pm 

Thanks for your leadership, Joe. On the other hand, when will it be? I vote for every week forever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:00 pm 

I've wondered the same thing, MEATFETISH. I do like having more food options in the Drexel, but I don't like sharing the theater. I'm a selfish only child, what can I say. However, this year I am hoping for a late date, at least into April because of my older son's gymnastic schedule. He has meets roughly every other weekend between now and the end of March. Some are on Saturdays, some on Sundays.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:20 pm 

April seems the right month for the Science Fiction Marathon. This is when I get my refund check.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:59 pm 

Only problem is, the radio cafe is now closed, so the food options will be limited once again. Sad, but true. Eventually, they are planning to get a business there, perhaps a katzinger's deli, but for this marathon, I am betting it's concessions and whatever food you can buy in the area.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:06 pm 

What?! Does the theater still sell beer? How will I survive watching Spaceboy? The late night shlock flick?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 pm 

They still sell beer. Just the cafe closed. Concession sells pbr, not sure what other beers they sell. And no beer in this universe will make spaceboy enjoyable!