The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Yours truly at the Drexel North, age 17, approximately 3am.

One of the topics that we often touch on in our Marathon discussions is that most dreaded of enemies for an aspiring Marathoid: sleep. We've come to devote a thread every year to advice on how to stay awake throughout the entire event, but we usually don't do a great deal of talking about past misadventures with the Sandman.

Believe it or not, in my initial years of Marathon attendance (beginning when I was 16) I was a total lightweight in the fight against sleep. Even though my powers of persistence should have been at their height, I had the hardest time staying awake once the early morning hours hit. Part of this was likely due to diet: my cohorts and I would load up on Domino's pizza and other carbs during the first part of the event, only to crash out later on when the cinematic offerings grew more eccentric and eclectic. Sure, I basically stayed awake during the entirety of my first Horror Marathon in 1993, but I also had to leave for five hours in the afternoon for a school marching band contests (and don't think I still curse any devotion I had to extracurricular activities), which gave me some respite from the non-stop Xenon bulb bombardment. Other than that, I would crash hard at some point between 1am and 3am.

Case in point: the 1995 edition of It Came From the Drexel North. After slogging my way through the (ahem) ultra-rare (ahem) and (ahem) obviously worthwhile (ahem, ahem) First Spaceship on Venus, I was primed for a mano y mano showdown with the Columbus Premiere of The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb. Don't remember this one? Well, check out the awesome trailer here. In any case, those of you who remember the film know that it's very odd and langorous. Ten minutes into its hour plus running time, I was slipping into dreamland, so it was off the the rear of the theater to stand behind one of the back barriers (which were great for this purpose and have been sadly missing from many subsequent homes for the Marathons.) But even then, standing straight up and having consumed a cup of coffee during the previous flick, I was still struggling. So, in my infinite wisdom, I stood about three feet away from the back barriers, thinking "I'll never fall asleep now." This was readily disproved, as I almost fell down twice from dozing off while standing up. Resigned to the inevitable, I slinked back to my seat and slept through the rest of the film, plus H-Man, Mind Ripper and Darkman. I justified this trip to sleepytown by thinking that hey, I'd make up for it next year. Little did I know that Bruce and Jeff would make that fateful, momentous announcement about the closing of the Drexel North before Escape from New York. Agh!!!

The next year, at the Riffe Center, I was cruising along through most of the night. By this point, I was a regular coffee consumer, so I could pace myself a bit better. But then came the 6am showing of Brazil, which I had been waiting to see for the first time at the Marathon. Over the years, I've given Bruce much guff for scheduling what should have been an anchor film at this ungodly hour, so you can imagine how successful I was at surviving it. Twenty minutes in, I temporarily removed my chair's armrest (which was already loose) and started gently hitting myself in the head whenever I started to nod. When that didn't work, I walked to the side entrance of the house and stood, again reasoning that this would keep me awake, and again almost falling down from fatigue. This was all doubly disconcerting to me, for I considered staying awake for the duration to be a much-admired badge of honor.

Over the years, my Benjamin Button-esque existence has enabled me to stay awake for much longer than I ever could in my younger days. Now, it seems to come down to a matter of motivation, as I've seen more and more of the flicks that are showing. The Drexel is a fairly tough place to stay awake, as its main back barrier is covered by the intricate spiderweb frame, forcing anyone who wants to stand to lean against one of the back walls. I've resorted to half-standing, half-leaning, while flexing most of my major muscles to try to keep the blood flowing. That being said, I've stayed awake during the entirety of the three Shock Around the Clock Horrorthons, mainly due to sitting on a padded folding chair that's just comfortable enough for back support but not soothing enough to readily sleep in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 pm 

If i need to doze in and out I choose a film that I've seen countless times. I agree with Joe that it peeves me to no end that Bruce want to schedule films that doesn't get a lot of vewings overnight early mornings. Why not schedule films that gets watched a lot in those hours?

The first two years that of going to the Science Fiction Marathons I've finished working third shift. Staying awake for Starship Troopers 2 and Lost Skeleton was challenging. Now I work a normal nine to five job so I can get some sleep.

A side note how about having Science Fiction Marathon coffee mugs this year? It will go great with my collection of Shock Around the Clock mugs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:10 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
The next year, at the Riffe Center, I was cruising along through most of the night. By this point, I was a regular coffee consumer, so I could pace myself a bit better. But then came the 6am showing of Brazil, which I had been waiting to see for the first time at the Marathon. Over the years, I've given Bruce much guff for scheduling what should have been an anchor film at this ungodly hour, so you can imagine how successful I was at surviving it.

There is something to be said about placing a fan favorite in a time slot where most people are trying hard not to fall asleep, in most cases it will wake the audience up and breathe new life into the event.

Joe, whats that in your mouth?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Admin

That would be a cigarette. Remember how you could smoke in the Drexel North's house? When they had stadium seating? When I was 6 feet tall, balding and wore a suit to the Marathon when I was 17?

You're right about fan favorites playing at the late morning hour (Iron Man is a perfect example.) My beef (then and now) is that Brazil had never played the Marathon before, and that it's a long film that's pretty deliberately paced and without a lot of signature action setpieces. It seems like that third from last slot of the Marathon is usually best filled by something that's faster paced or shorter. My all-time favorite film in this slot is Robocop 2 at the 1993 It Came From the Drexel North. Not a good film by any means, it's still lightweight and packed with enough action to wake up the crowd.

Now I stand guilty of violating this credo by booking the ethereal Daughters of Darkness in the third to last slot of the 2009 Shock Around the Clock. Mea culpa, and proof that sometimes it's damn near impossible to schedule everything into the most appropriate slot. We tried to make up for this by scheduling Slither (which was replaced by the even goofier Robogeisha) and the almost plotless yet ultra-gory The Beyond in that same slot the last two years.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:49 pm 

But then again, after falling behind and losing Slither, The Hitcher filled that wonky early morning third to last slot, and quite nicely. So I guess there is an argument for putting what could potentially be a showcase feature there. Recent releases seem to fit easily into this slot as well, like Star Trek, 28 Days Later and The Matrix when they were shown.

Incidentally, the very next year at the Riffe Center after the one with Brazil that Joe spoke of had one of my favorite after midnight stretches with Bad Taste, Repo Man and Predator all back-to-back. That year also featured the only marathon showings of Altered States and Barbarella, not to mention the awesome The Fly bookends...

So yeah, now that I'm thinking about it, that was a pretty freaking awesome lineup in 1997, which happened to be my last one while I still lived there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Timewarp back to the old Drexel board and check out these similar memories of Marathons past!

http://web.archive.org/web/20020616115836/http://www.drexel.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000004

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:45 pm 

Mike wrote:
Thanks for the correction jeff. I ment to also mention the Rocket ship X-M going up into flames deal also..

Lol, they were still calling you "Jeff" way back then...

scottcoz wrote:
here's a not so good one (although i hasten to add that i have absolutely LOVED every marathon, even if there was the occasional isolated incident which was bothersome - or, in this case, downright infuriating). i think it was the horror 'thon in 92 when the kids who enjoyed ruining the experience for other people were at their worst. i got nailed with a styrofoam cup that had been filled with mustard and ketchup. now, i'm a non-violent person by nature, and a pacifist to boot - but i think if i had been able to determine who the kid was that threw that cup, i might just have dragged his ass outside the theatre and beat him to a pulp (or perhaps got my ass kicked trying - i'm not very tough :-) it was one of the angriest moments in my life. but i STILL enjoyed that marathon! and i salute bruce for dealing with the situation. it had gotten out of hand, and was really just a couple kids - he found out who they were and banned them forever.

I was a front of the line witness to this particular not-so-fond memory, and I knew Scott very well at the time. He is correct in his self described pacifism, and not prone to much profanity within everyday normal conversation. Hearing the things coming out of his mouth at that time was quite shocking and memorable. It was also thoroughly understandable and I would have gladly joined in on some street justice had the culprit ever been revealed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:44 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
Yours truly at the Drexel North, age 17, approximately 3am.
One of the topics that we often touch on in our Marathon discussions is that most dreaded of enemies for an aspiring Marathoid: sleep. We've come to devote a thread every year to advice on how to stay awake throughout the entire event, but we usually don't do a great deal of talking about past misadventures with the Sandman.....

You mean THIS thread?: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=823

:wink:

As time has gone on, I've become less doctrinaire about folks wanting to sleep during a Marathon. I've always looked upon it as a challenge - it IS called a "Marathon" after all. You don't see elite runners grabbing a chair and taking 20 minutes off during a running Marathon do you?

Still, I understand that everyone's body is different. And, there are times when unforseen things may happen in the days leading up to a Marathon (like illness) which may conspire to make it difficult for some.

This February in Boston I again made it all 24 hours (this year, 25) without sleeping a wink. I've been to over 40 Marathons of various types and lengths and never fallen asleep. Actually, as time has gone on, I seem to be finding it easier and easier!! A lot of it has to do with my slavish adherence to the rules in that link above. Basically, take care of yourself the week before, eat sparingly, drink a lot of water, move around and psych yourself up.

It is that last part - Mental health - that is really the key. Almost to a person, the type of Marathoner who has the most difficulty staying awake is the one who says EVEN BEFORE THE MARATHON BEGINS - "I ain't gonna make it." Well, if that is your attitude going in, you be doomed.

In Joe's post, he talks about Bruce's scheduling some of the more anticipated films during those dreaded wee hours when most of us, most of the time, the rest of the year are sleeping. Couple of things:

1. SOMETHING has to booked during those hours. Everybody has their own ideas (usually meaning they want THEIR films booked during THEIR prime hours), but, the bottom line is, something has to give when scheduling these things.

2. I often find the wee hours the most enjoyable of the entire event. The theater is quieter. The wimps have fallen asleep. The nervous excitement of the early hours have settled. It just the hearty few and the movie on screen. You're almost in a REM state yourself, only you are awake. Literally, like dreaming with your eyes open.

Take a look again at my simple suggestions and give them a try this year at the Marathon.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=823

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Don't get me wrong: I've been part of several Marathons where difficult films had to ultimately be scheduled in less than desirable slots. I brought up Brazil specifically because of its length, pacing, and demand from past years. If you look back through Columbus Sci-Fi Marathon history, it's actually one of the few films in that slot to not have either an overly action-oriented bent or a shorter b-movie charm.

As far as staying awake goes, L.A. is right that to do so requires remembering the marathon aspect of the Marathon. As the years have zipped by, I've adhered to many of the dictates that he mentions. But I've also tried to do like any good marathoner would and get into the zone, that state where you stop consciously thinking about what time it is and focus on the present moment only. All conditions being equal and ideal, it's worked out pretty well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Take a look again at my simple suggestions and give them a try this year at the Marathon.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=823

Thank you very much for this. It is absolutely the single greatest post on any forum, ever. I'm totally serious. I also look at staying awake at movie marathons as a challenge, and I HATE falling asleep. I do not want to miss a single second of the fun, the experience, any of it. At last year's horror marathon, I managed to do something I had NEVER done before: I stayed awake through out a 24 hour movie marathon. I've stayed awake through out a 12 hour movie marathon before (Well, TWO if you count 'struggling to stay awake but not actually falling asleep' as being "awake"), but never a 24 hour movie marathon before. During that marathon, I always got up to get something, even if it was just a little something. I drunk several cups of coffee. I also have a sort of breathing exercise I do to quicken my heart, in order to "jump start" my heart pace. I take VERY short, VERY quick breaths (like the mutant woman near the end of the movie "I Am Legend"). It seems to help some. Also, my advice to anyone who has RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome): in between movies, go to the restroom and stretch your leg muscles by bending over until you feel the burn. This will HOPEFULLY give your legs the much desired movement they crave so freakin' much when you are sitting still and your legs go NUTS!!! I haven't tried it myself yet, but I have been wanting to. I was at my second marathon, watching "The Shining", and I experienced RLS. Oh GOD it's annoying!! lol Your legs feel like they are saying to you "COME ON!! LET'S GO RUNNING!!!!" Also, I avoid drinking coffee through out the entire year, ONLY drinking coffee at a movie marathon. This way, my mind and body are not used to coffee so much and do not have a strong defense put up for it. Because of this, the coffee that I drink at movie marathons has quite a strong effect, where as, if I drunk coffee regularly, every day, every week, etc., I really don't think that I would be able to have stayed awake all 24 hours last year at the horror marathon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

I know I've said this before ... and I know many consider this to be heresy, but I'll stand by my original assertion. Know your limits. Staying awake during films you don't care about seeing only to fall asleep (or being completely zombified) during the wee-hours can do yourself a great disservice.

Wide awake during SERBIAN FILM and MIDNIGHT SON, nodded off for over half of GOKE and the start of THE HITCHER. Wide awake for THE PEOPLE VS GEORGE LUCAS and LUNOPOLIS, Nodded and died for PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES. Wide awake for MARTYRS, checked out halfway through HOUSE. Awake for LOST SKELETON RETURNS AGAIN and nodded out for half of BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE.

Some of these were exacerbated by schedule slips, and you say, "But VitruvianZeke, didn't you WANT to stay awake for the premieres?" Well, some of those prints (HOUSE, GOKE, PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES) were far better opportunities than the premieres themselves. It's all about what's most important to see.

All I'm saying is a little napping goes a long way. And depending on this year's schedules, I may even start taking my own advice. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

HERETIC!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Neff wrote:
HERETIC!!!

And may the Protestant be driven from the land ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:50 am 

Twelve or fourteen hour marathons doesn't bother me. Those are easy to do.

They should reserve the two or three am slot for a movie that majority of people already seen.

Try to schedule premires no later than two am or after six am sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:54 am 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
I know I've said this before ... and I know many consider this to be heresy, but I'll stand by my original assertion. Know your limits. Staying awake during films you don't care about seeing only to fall asleep (or being completely zombified) during the wee-hours can do yourself a great disservice.....All I'm saying is a little napping goes a long way. And depending on this year's schedules, I may even start taking my own advice. :)

I used to feel like I failed if I fell asleep or left early but as I get older I feel less like I failed and more like I did my best and it's not my fault Joe booked boring movies :) Just kidding.